When Cast & Crew credits roll in a movie with...
Bohso
2018-04-08 02:47:02 UTC
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say

Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
Peter T. Daniels
2018-04-08 02:54:21 UTC
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
Because they're not doctors, professors, clergy, military personnel, officials,
or women?
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-04-08 13:00:34 UTC
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
Because it's preferable to ...

Assistant to Michael Keaton

... partly because of the economy and partly because it shows
proper respect for the relationship between the star and the
service staff.
soup
2018-04-08 14:16:15 UTC
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
Eh?
It obviously means their assistants or the person that did Mr Keaton's
make-up or hair and the person that did Mr Fraser's make-up or hair .
Not the same person (unless they are REALLY trying to pad the credits).

When you are a big Hollywood star I would imagine you do not use the
hoi polloi's staff you use your own.
soup
2018-04-08 14:20:31 UTC
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
Is it the "Mr" you have a problem with?
It is because that is the correct honorific for these gentlemen, them
not being Doctors or professors or knights or...
Richard Tobin
2018-04-08 19:53:09 UTC
Post by soup
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
Is it the "Mr" you have a problem with?
It is because that is the correct honorific for these gentlemen, them
not being Doctors or professors or knights or...
The question is obviously why they are "Mr" in *this* context,
but not others (such as the cast list).

One obvious possibility is that it's to indicate their status, but
more likely it's just like newspaper articles - they will refer to the
Labour leader as Jeremy Corbyn the first time they mention him, but as
Mr Corbyn thereafter.

-- Richard
charles
2018-04-08 20:12:20 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by soup
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
Is it the "Mr" you have a problem with?
It is because that is the correct honorific for these gentlemen, them
not being Doctors or professors or knights or...
The question is obviously why they are "Mr" in *this* context,
but not others (such as the cast list).
I remember it as a theatre convention,
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
b***@shaw.ca
2018-04-08 21:25:10 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by soup
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
Is it the "Mr" you have a problem with?
It is because that is the correct honorific for these gentlemen, them
not being Doctors or professors or knights or...
The question is obviously why they are "Mr" in *this* context,
but not others (such as the cast list).
One obvious possibility is that it's to indicate their status, but
more likely it's just like newspaper articles - they will refer to the
Labour leader as Jeremy Corbyn the first time they mention him, but as
Mr Corbyn thereafter.
It's a simple and often arbitrary style decision. Are we going to use
honorifics or not? Whether you're running a newspaper or putting
movie credits together, at some point you have to make some style decisions
if you want your end product to be consistent.

bill
Horace LaBadie
2018-04-08 22:51:26 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by soup
Post by Bohso
[...]
Movie credits are contractual obligations, either with the unions and
guilds or with the actors individually.
b***@shaw.ca
2018-04-09 02:46:42 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by soup
Post by Bohso
[...]
Such contracts determine whose names get into the credits, not the style
of the credits, which varies significantly.

bill
Horace LaBadie
2018-04-09 03:28:57 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by soup
Post by Bohso
[...]
Contracts determine order, placement, wording, job titles, and just
about everything.
B***@37.com
So then Mister is an honorific as in when they call you a clown or an asshole, you can always insist that's "Mr." Asshole to you.
Pavel Svinchnik
I think that movie credits have become ridiculous. It's nice to know the director, major cast members, and gaffer, but why list the catering firm for the on-location shoots? And the accounting firm that counted the beans?
Peter T. Daniels
2018-04-09 03:13:25 UTC
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
I think that movie credits have become ridiculous. It's nice to know the director, major cast members, and gaffer, but why list the catering firm for the on-location shoots? And the accounting firm that counted the beans?
Because it's in the contract. At the very least, it's advertising. It's also
ego-gratification for highly specialized, skilled professions that ordinarily
get no recognition.
Horace LaBadie
2018-04-09 03:31:09 UTC
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
I think that movie credits have become ridiculous. It's nice to know the
director, major cast members, and gaffer, but why list the catering firm for
the on-location shoots? And the accounting firm that counted the beans?
Anyone who provides a service gets credit, and often the service gets
discounted with onscreen credit. Product placement also gets into the
act.
Tak To
2018-04-09 20:04:44 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
I think that movie credits have become ridiculous. It's nice to know the
director, major cast members, and gaffer, but why list the catering firm for
the on-location shoots? And the accounting firm that counted the beans?
Anyone who provides a service gets credit,
That is not automatic. Each trade union has its own rules for
determining the eligibility. For actors I think it is a minimum
of five spoken lines.
Tak To ***@alum.mit.eduxx
--------------------------------------------------------------------^^
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr
Horace LaBadie
2018-04-09 23:28:31 UTC
Post by Tak To
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
I think that movie credits have become ridiculous. It's nice to know the
director, major cast members, and gaffer, but why list the catering firm for
the on-location shoots? And the accounting firm that counted the beans?
Anyone who provides a service gets credit,
That is not automatic. Each trade union has its own rules for
determining the eligibility. For actors I think it is a minimum
of five spoken lines.
Service.
Catering, for instance. Or Insurance and Legal.

Actors in episodic TV have negotiated billing.
Actors in motion pictures with fewer than 50 performers all must be
credited. More than 50, at least 50 must be credited.
That's SAG-AFTRA.
act.
Stefan Ram
2018-04-10 00:18:38 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Actors in episodic TV have negotiated billing.
Actors in motion pictures with fewer than 50 performers all must be
credited. More than 50, at least 50 must be credited.
Recently, I learned that writers are credited for episodes
they did not write. Well, they only provided /some minor
parts/ of it. Often, say, 12 writers cooperate for each
episode, but in order not to credit 12 writers for every
episode, they randomly assign one writer to every episode.

I also read a interesting text about "runners" in Hollywood.
I think runners are so low on the hierachy, they never get
credited.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/tales-runner-2007-03-05-0
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/roseanne-any-other-name-part-1-2011-03-14
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/roseanne-any-other-name-part-2-2011-03-28
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/roseanne-any-other-name-part-3-2011-04-11
Mack A. Damia
2018-04-10 00:28:02 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Post by Horace LaBadie
[...]
Depends on how the employment contract is drawn up.

Lennon got credit for many songs that McCartney wrote alone.
Tak To
2018-04-10 19:23:03 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Tak To
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Post by Bohso
[...]
I heard about the 5 line limit from an actress in one of the
nightly talk shows. I can remember neither the actress nor
the show. The 5 line limit could be the way it was, or it could
be made up entirely.

While it might very well be customary for a catering company
to be given an credit, I find it difficult to imagine that workers
hired by the catering company (instead of the production company)
were given individual credits.

Ditto for any kind of subcontracted work -- CGI, for example.
--
Tak
Tak To ***@alum.mit.eduxx
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr
Tony Cooper
2018-04-09 04:02:04 UTC
On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 19:20:17 -0700 (PDT), Pavel Svinchnik
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton
Assistant to "Mr." Fraser
"Mr." Fraser's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist
"Mr." Fraser's Hair Stylist
"Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
I think that movie credits have become ridiculous. It's nice to know the director, major cast members, and gaffer, but why list the catering firm for the on-location shoots? And the accounting firm that counted the beans?
When a person submits a resume/curriculum vitae, it often contains
jobs previously held, educational courses taken, and papers published
that have no bearing on the position desired. Those entries are
padding to expand their experience and induce the reader to think the
writer has a strong background.

It's not any different with a caterer or an accountant. The movies in
which they have received on-screen credit expands their resume. It
memorializes that others have hired them. The on-screen credit aren't
for your benefit. It for theirs.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Peter Moylan
2018-04-09 04:15:50 UTC
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
I think that movie credits have become ridiculous. It's nice to
know the director, major cast members, and gaffer, but why list the
catering firm for the on-location shoots? And the accounting firm
that counted the beans?
When a person submits a resume/curriculum vitae, it often contains
jobs previously held, educational courses taken, and papers
published that have no bearing on the position desired. Those
entries are padding to expand their experience and induce the reader
to think the writer has a strong background.
It's not any different with a caterer or an accountant. The movies
in which they have received on-screen credit expands their resume.
It memorializes that others have hired them. The on-screen credit
aren't for your benefit. It for theirs.
Especially if that movie gets really good reviews for its accountancy.
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
musika
2018-04-09 07:51:02 UTC
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton Assistant to "Mr." Fraser "Mr." Fraser's
Make-up Artist "Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist "Mr." Fraser's Hair
Stylist "Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
I think that movie credits have become ridiculous. It's nice to know
the director, major cast members, and gaffer, but why list the
catering firm for the on-location shoots? And the accounting firm
that counted the beans?
In films such as *Blazing Saddles* the beans are important.
--
Ray
UK
Bart Dinnissen
2018-04-09 16:57:27 UTC
Post by musika
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Post by Bohso
Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, why does it say
Assistant to "Mr." Keaton Assistant to "Mr." Fraser "Mr." Fraser's
Make-up Artist "Mr." Keaton's Make-up Artist "Mr." Fraser's Hair
Stylist "Mr." Keaton's Hair Styist
I think that movie credits have become ridiculous. It's nice to know
the director, major cast members, and gaffer, but why list the
catering firm for the on-location shoots? And the accounting firm
that counted the beans?
In films such as *Blazing Saddles* the beans are important.
For this I give you a laurel and hardy hand.
--
Bart Dinnissen