FLW stuff for PTD
2018-06-10 15:40:43 UTC
In case it didn't come to your attention, the linked article is about
a Frank Lloyd Wright house in the news:

http://tinyurl.com/ya2nemmm or

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/06/09/frank-lloyd-wright-house-small-masterpiece/688410002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

And, a column in the _Orlando Sentinel_ by Joy Dickinson on FLW
creations in Florida.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0610-story.html

Ms Dickinson writes weekly columns on subjects of local interest.
2018-06-10 18:59:34 UTC
In case it didn't come to your attention, the linked article is about
http://tinyurl.com/ya2nemmm or
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/06/09/frank-lloyd-wright-house-small-masterpiece/688410002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories
Thank you. I'm not in the habit of seeing USA Today.

One of the hotels a meeting put me at offered the option of a 50c deduction
in the daily room rate for anyone who chose not to receive USA Today. But
since the meetings usually only include one or two weekday mornings, it
seems rather an empty gesture.

I'm surprised that it wasn't until 1979 that an archived unbuilt design was
sold to a client -- Taliesin Associates did that quite regularly. The
difficulties the original owner had in construction would have been
mitigated if it had been built when it was designed, because the design
usually came with an Apprentice who would guide the craftsmen in the special
techniques Mr. Wright wanted, and would also make decisions when the plans
proved inadequate, as here.

But the present owners and their buyer shouldn't think that they're getting
a pure FLlW house. Various of the details, as the article mentions, would
not have been countenanced by him, so there was a lot of fiddling with it
even when it was built in 1979. He would sometimes visit his houses unannounced
and put the furniture back where his plan said it would be. I don't know
_what_ he might have done if he'd seen gutters attached to his eaves! If
the client had insisted, then he would have found his own way to provide
drainage from the edges of the roof.
Post by Tony Cooper
And, a column in the _Orlando Sentinel_ by Joy Dickinson on FLW
creations in Florida.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0610-story.html
Ms Dickinson writes weekly columns on subjects of local interest.
The Lewis House is well known. Florida Southern College is less well known,
because they didn't really build what he designed, and when they expanded
they didn't do it in accordance with his master plan, and it's only had one
book about it that I've been able to find. (And its photographs are inadequate,
I suspect because every effort was made to not show stuff he hadn't intended.)
Tony Cooper
2018-06-10 20:32:13 UTC
On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 11:59:34 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
In case it didn't come to your attention, the linked article is about
http://tinyurl.com/ya2nemmm or
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/06/09/frank-lloyd-wright-house-small-masterpiece/688410002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories
Thank you. I'm not in the habit of seeing USA Today.
The only time I read it is when I'm in a motel and it's the only
newspaper available.

What I do read is what is provided by Google News. Google News is a
news aggregator that provides short descriptions of articles in many
different publications, and a clickable link to read the entire
article.

Many of the articles are in the _Washington Post_, _New York Times_,
and the _Wall Street Journal_. Those are openable links at the
beginning of the month, but I am only allowed access for a certain
number of articles without subscribing to the newspaper. Usually,
though, if it's a major story some other publication's site is listed.
2018-06-10 21:26:55 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Florida Southern College is less well known,
because they didn't really build what he designed, and when they expanded
they didn't do it in accordance with his master plan, and it's only had one
book about it that I've been able to find. (And its photographs are inadequate,
I suspect because every effort was made to not show stuff he hadn't intended.)
While I understand that you are looking at this from a rather strict
perspective on what is, or is not, a FLW creation, I have to point out
that Florida Southern College is probably has the most visually
attractive campus of any small college in the lower South.

Whether or not FLW's plans were adhered to, the results are
spectacular. Not just the Wright buildings (or Wright-inspired for
the purists), but the entire campus.
2018-06-11 03:24:47 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Florida Southern College is less well known,
because they didn't really build what he designed, and when they expanded
they didn't do it in accordance with his master plan, and it's only had one
book about it that I've been able to find. (And its photographs are inadequate,
I suspect because every effort was made to not show stuff he hadn't intended.)
While I understand that you are looking at this from a rather strict
perspective on what is, or is not, a FLW creation, I have to point out
that Florida Southern College is probably has the most visually
attractive campus of any small college in the lower South.
Depending on the meaning of "small college" and "the lower South," that's
probably a very valid statement.
Post by Tony Cooper
Whether or not FLW's plans were adhered to, the results are
spectacular. Not just the Wright buildings (or Wright-inspired for
the purists), but the entire campus.
Maybe. They're very careful not to show any of the non-Wright stuff, for
instance on the web site you once sent me to.
J. J. Lodder
2018-06-11 18:12:14 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
And, a column in the _Orlando Sentinel_ by Joy Dickinson on FLW
creations in Florida.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0610-story.ht
ml

They have a very high opionion of themselves:
============
Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European
countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at
options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU
market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will
provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.
=============
while confessing to technical imcompetence.

Guess I can miss the junk,

2018-06-11 18:26:22 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
And, a column in the _Orlando Sentinel_ by Joy Dickinson on FLW
creations in Florida.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0610-story.ht
ml
============
Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European
countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at
options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU
market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will
provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.
=============
while confessing to technical imcompetence.
They're confessing to no such thing. They're simply saying that the EU's
rules have become so utterly labyrinthine and impenetrable that they
don't have the staff and resources to attempt to comply with them.

On a related note, how many newsletters etc. are you now getting twice
(or more) or not at all because of the confusion over GDPR, the latest
useless piece of tat to emerge from the red tape machine?
Peter T. Daniels
2018-06-11 19:23:23 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
On a related note, how many newsletters etc. are you now getting twice
(or more) or not at all because of the confusion over GDPR, the latest
useless piece of tat to emerge from the red tape machine?
I've received a number of emails stating that if I wish to continue on the
mailing list I should do nothing, this is just to inform me that they're
complying with the new rule.
J. J. Lodder
2018-06-14 21:15:58 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
And, a column in the _Orlando Sentinel_ by Joy Dickinson on FLW
creations in Florida.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0610-stor
y.ht
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Tony Cooper
ml
============
Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European
countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at
options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU
market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will
provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.
=============
while confessing to technical imcompetence.
They're confessing to no such thing. They're simply saying that the EU's
rules have become so utterly labyrinthine and impenetrable that they
don't have the staff and resources to attempt to comply with them.
Complete nonsense.
There is no lack of American magazines and newspapers
that offer content in the EU,

2018-06-14 22:18:03 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
And, a column in the _Orlando Sentinel_ by Joy Dickinson on FLW
creations in Florida.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0610-stor
y.ht
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Tony Cooper
ml
============
Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European
countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at
options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU
market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will
provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.
=============
while confessing to technical imcompetence.
They're confessing to no such thing. They're simply saying that the EU's
rules have become so utterly labyrinthine and impenetrable that they
don't have the staff and resources to attempt to comply with them.
Complete nonsense.
There is no lack of American magazines and newspapers
that offer content in the EU,
Nobody suggested there was. It doesn't change the fact that one
wanting to enter that arena anew faces a stack of work bringing
their site into line with the regulations and clearly this particular
one is struggling to do that at present.
Tony Cooper
2018-06-14 23:41:27 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
And, a column in the _Orlando Sentinel_ by Joy Dickinson on FLW
creations in Florida.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0610-stor
y.ht
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Tony Cooper
ml
============
[...]
The publication in question is the _Orlando Sentinel_. What Jan calls
"technical incompetence" could be just be "priority assessment".
Obviously, the Sentinel can figure out how to make their articles
available to EU readers, but at a cost.

With the rising costs of publishing a newspaper (eg: tariffs on
newsprint paper from Canada) and the diminishing circulation figures,
newspapers have to be careful about what they spend their money on.

Most of the originated content of the Sentinel is local news that is
not of interest to the reader Delft or anywhere else in the EU. While
Orlando is a tourist destination for EU residents, there's little or
nothing in the Sentinel that someone planning a trip to Orlando would
be interested in.

The content that might be of interest is almost all from sources that
are otherwise available to EU readers. If the EU reader reads the NYT
or the Washington Post, they are reading the same articles that appear
in the Sentinel.