Two spaces or one... a study
Bill Day
2018-05-06 15:20:21 UTC
Not that it's going to solve anything or change anyone's mind, but
interesting reading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.bdf8ccafdff2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
or
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
remove nonsense for reply
Peter T. Daniels
2018-05-06 16:38:41 UTC
Post by Bill Day
Not that it's going to solve anything or change anyone's mind, but
interesting reading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.bdf8ccafdff2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
or
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
--
remove nonsense for reply
"between each sentence" would be considered a solecism by the sort of person
who would waste their time talking about spaces after a period.
s***@gmail.com
2018-05-11 20:53:50 UTC
Post by Bill Day
Not that it's going to solve anything or change anyone's mind, but
interesting reading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.bdf8ccafdff2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
or
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
Randall already has this covered.
<URL:https://xkcd.com/1989/>

2018-05-11 21:01:45 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Bill Day
Not that it's going to solve anything or change anyone's mind, but
interesting reading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.bdf8ccafdff2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
or
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
Randall already has this covered.
<URL:https://xkcd.com/1989/>
Cute, /and/ I learned "SMDH".
2018-05-12 01:29:37 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Bill Day
Not that it's going to solve anything or change anyone's mind, but
interesting reading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.bdf8ccafdff2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
or
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
Randall already has this covered.
<URL:https://xkcd.com/1989/>
I've always asserted that IMHO stands for "in my harrogant opinion".
micky
2018-05-12 03:55:05 UTC
In alt.usage.english, on Sat, 12 May 2018 11:29:37 +1000, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Bill Day
Not that it's going to solve anything or change anyone's mind, but
interesting reading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.bdf8ccafdff2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
or
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
Randall already has this covered.
<URL:https://xkcd.com/1989/>
I've always asserted that IMHO stands for "in my harrogant opinion".
I think the h is silent there, so it should be "mine harrogant
opinion".
--
Please say where you live, or what
area's English you are asking about.
Brooklyn, Baltimore.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-05-12 06:46:52 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Bill Day
Not that it's going to solve anything or change anyone's mind, but
interesting reading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.bdf8ccafdff2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
or
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
Randall already has this covered.
<URL:https://xkcd.com/1989/>
I've always asserted that IMHO stands for "in my harrogant opinion".
Quite right too. Those who use this expression (whether as an
abbreviation or spelled out) are never being humble and often not being
honest. Maybe "half-baked".
2018-05-12 13:18:01 UTC
Post by Bill Day
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
Randall already has this covered. <URL:https://xkcd.com/1989/>
As an expression of ornery disagreement, it's hard to beat "Oh. My.
Genitals."

The "F" is left as an exercise for the reader. (I didn't write the
smutty stuff on purpose, but I left it in on purpose.)
occam
2018-05-16 09:51:55 UTC
Post by Bill Day
Not that it's going to solve anything or change anyone's mind, but
interesting reading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.bdf8ccafdff2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
or
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
To add more fuel to this fire, here is an article also discussing this
study:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/05/two-spaces-after-a-period/559304/

According to the article there is a "scientific case" for two spaces
after the full stop. This, according to psychophysics. Psycho- what?
Psychobabble, perhaps.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-05-16 11:45:52 UTC
Post by Bill Day
Not that it's going to solve anything or change anyone's mind, but
interesting reading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.bdf8ccafdff2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
or
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
To add more fuel to this fire, here is an article also discussing this
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/05/two-spaces-after-a-period/559304/
According to the article there is a "scientific case" for two spaces
after the full stop. This, according to psychophysics. Psycho- what?
Psychobabble, perhaps.
Actually one of the more scientific branches of psychology, mapping
stimuli to mental phenomena.The effect of layout and spacing on
reading fluency and comprehension is an obvious area of study.
occam
2018-05-16 12:20:10 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by occam
Post by Bill Day
[...]
Madrigal, if you use a ruler to measure your dangle before and after
watching pornography, does that make watching porno any more scientific?
I don't think so.
CDB
2018-05-16 15:55:01 UTC
[psychophysics: the Mardigal defence]
What if he used a protractor?
occam
2018-05-16 17:18:38 UTC
Post by occam
Madrigal, if you use a ruler to measure your dangle before and after
watching pornography, does that make watching porno any more
scientific? I don't think so.
What if he used a protractor?
That reminds me of (lesser known) Newton's Fourth Law:

"The angle of the dangle is proportional to the mass of the ass."

(This joke, courtesy of my 'A' Level Physics master, was told to the
whole class.)
Peter Moylan
2018-05-17 04:41:25 UTC
Post by occam
Madrigal, if you use a ruler to measure your dangle before and
after watching pornography, does that make watching porno any
more scientific? I don't think so.
What if he used a protractor?
"The angle of the dangle is proportional to the mass of the ass."
(This joke, courtesy of my 'A' Level Physics master, was told to the
whole class.)
We had a different version, but I'll spare everyone and not quote it.

Your version wouldn't have flown here, because we also had a saying "Men
don't make passes at girls with big arses".
2018-05-17 11:26:41 UTC
Post by occam
Madrigal, if you use a ruler to measure your dangle before and
after watching pornography, does that make watching porno any
more scientific? I don't think so.
What if he used a protractor?
"The angle of the dangle is proportional to the mass of the ass."
(This joke, courtesy of my 'A' Level Physics master, was told to the
whole class.)
We had a different version, but I'll spare everyone and not quote it.
Your version wouldn't have flown here, because we also had a saying "Men
don't make passes at girls with big arses".
The original, attributed to Dorothy Parker, is "Men don't make passes at
girls who wear glasses."

(The other one was heard here as "The angle of the dangle is proportional
to the heat of the meat.")

As for the "ass" saying, these days *Family Feud* routinely asks survey
questions turning on the attractiveness of female anatomy, and "big booty"
routinely turns up as a desirable trait. (They also do questions about the
attractiveness of male anatomy, where a small one is generally preferred.)
RH Draney
2018-05-17 11:48:12 UTC
Your version wouldn't have flown here, because we also had a saying "Men
don't make passes at girls with big arses".
The original, attributed to Dorothy Parker, is "Men don't make passes at
girls who wear glasses."
And in a episode of "Maude", a gay friend of the title character
reassured Maude's husband that he had no designs upon him by reciting "I
never make passes at men with mustaches"....r
Peter T. Daniels
But wasn't that during the height of the Castro Clone era?
RH Draney
2018-05-17 20:56:12 UTC
Your version wouldn't have flown here, because we also had a saying "Men
don't make passes at girls with big arses".
The original, attributed to Dorothy Parker, is "Men don't make passes at
girls who wear glasses."
And in a episode of "Maude", a gay friend of the title character
reassured Maude's husband that he had no designs upon him by reciting "I
never make passes at men with mustaches"....r
But wasn't that during the height of the Castro Clone era?
Not sure...my own mustache didn't get underway until 1983...(but unlike
Alex Trebek, I've still got mine)....r

Peter T. Daniels
2018-05-16 12:28:41 UTC
Post by Bill Day
Not that it's going to solve anything or change anyone's mind, but
interesting reading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.bdf8ccafdff2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
or
https://tinyurl.com/y6uf7vtd
To add more fuel to this fire, here is an article also discussing this
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/05/two-spaces-after-a-period/559304/
According to the article there is a "scientific case" for two spaces
after the full stop. This, according to psychophysics. Psycho- what?
Psychobabble, perhaps.
Near the bottom, it is revealed that only one font was tested, and that
a mono-spaced one. Did the journal that published the study not have
competent referees?