Meaning of Dueling Guitars
2018-07-11 12:18:41 UTC
Meaning of Dueling Guitars?
https://www.google.com/search?dueling+guitars

There's no duel in the sense of a contest or competition.
They're playing with each other, not against each other.

What makes 'dueling' an appropriate choice of word?
soup
2018-07-11 12:30:52 UTC
On 11/07/2018 13:18, Dingbat wrote:
> Meaning of Dueling Guitars?
> https://www.google.com/search?dueling+guitars
>
> There's no duel in the sense of a contest or competition.
> They're playing with each other, not against each other.
>
> What makes 'dueling' an appropriate choice of word?

They are dueling(after a fashion), one plays a piece then the other
tries to play it too, if you can't follow you are the loser .
There is no real winner as it is only titularly a duel, depending on
the composer there can actually be a passage where they compliment each
other.
Same idea as "rap battles" aren't actually battles .
Lewis
2018-07-12 10:57:17 UTC
In message <YLm1D.1808006$***@fx14.am4> soup <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2018 13:18, Dingbat wrote:
>> Meaning of Dueling Guitars?
>> https://www.google.com/search?dueling+guitars
>>
>> There's no duel in the sense of a contest or competition.
>> They're playing with each other, not against each other.
>>
>> What makes 'dueling' an appropriate choice of word?

> They are dueling(after a fashion), one plays a piece then the other
> tries to play it too, if you can't follow you are the loser .

Uh... no.

One plays something, the other plays something. They escalate as each
tries to play something better than the previous person. It might be a
variation on what the previous person played, it might not, but it should
fit in to a cohesive whole.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzxZ8qtdun0>

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqdL36VKbMQ>

There is one specific piece of music that is often called "Dueling
Banjos" as well, which makes it somewhat confusing.

Here is a dueling banjo comedy skit:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8rUZfQJjPY>

> There is no real winner as it is only titularly a duel, depending on
> the composer there can actually be a passage where they compliment each
> other.

A "duel" can often be simply for entertainment, but it is also often
used competitively to establish which musician is better.

> Same idea as "rap battles" aren't actually battles .

And another example where thegoal is not to mimic, but to one-up.

--
The brain is an amazing organ, it works every second of every day
from before we're even born right up until the instant we fall in
love.
soup
2018-07-12 14:03:29 UTC
On 12/07/2018 11:57, Lewis wrote:
> In message <YLm1D.1808006$***@fx14.am4> soup <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> They are dueling(after a fashion), one plays a piece then the other
>> tries to play it too, if you can't follow you are the loser .
>
> Uh... no.
>
> One plays something, the other plays something. They escalate as each
> tries to play something better than the previous person. It might be a
> variation on what the previous person played, it might not, but it should
> fit in to a cohesive whole.

Sort of what I meant but you put it so much more eloquently

Replace "it too" with "something 'more complicated' "
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-07-11 12:35:53 UTC

The fact that they're duelling?
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-11 12:59:09 UTC
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:18:44 AM UTC-4, Dingbat wrote:

> Meaning of Dueling Guitars?
> https://www.google.com/search?dueling+guitars
>
> There's no duel in the sense of a contest or competition.
> They're playing with each other, not against each other.
>
> What makes 'dueling' an appropriate choice of word?

Have you ever seen the movie *Deliverance*? (Dueling banjos. One of the
classic scenes in American cinema.)
Dingbat
2018-07-12 01:31:17 UTC
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 6:29:11 PM UTC+5:30, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:18:44 AM UTC-4, Dingbat wrote:
>
> > Meaning of Dueling Guitars?
> > https://www.google.com/search?dueling+guitars
> >
> > There's no duel in the sense of a contest or competition.
> > They're playing with each other, not against each other.
> >
> > What makes 'dueling' an appropriate choice of word?
>
> Have you ever seen the movie *Deliverance*? (Dueling banjos. One of the
> classic scenes in American cinema.)

More precisely, that's a banjo-guitar duel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

Another such duel by Glen Campbell and Carl Jackson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vfw5f1CZo
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-12 03:10:15 UTC
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 9:31:20 PM UTC-4, Dingbat wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 6:29:11 PM UTC+5:30, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:18:44 AM UTC-4, Dingbat wrote:
> >
> > > Meaning of Dueling Guitars?
> > > https://www.google.com/search?dueling+guitars
> > >
> > > There's no duel in the sense of a contest or competition.
> > > They're playing with each other, not against each other.
> > >
> > > What makes 'dueling' an appropriate choice of word?
> >
> > Have you ever seen the movie *Deliverance*? (Dueling banjos. One of the
> > classic scenes in American cinema.)
>
> More precisely, that's a banjo-guitar duel:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

The name of the piece is "Dueling Banjos."

Ken Blake
2018-07-12 17:43:16 UTC
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:31:17 -0700 (PDT), Dingbat
<***@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 6:29:11 PM UTC+5:30, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>> On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:18:44 AM UTC-4, Dingbat wrote:
>>
>> > Meaning of Dueling Guitars?
>> > https://www.google.com/search?dueling+guitars
>> >
>> > There's no duel in the sense of a contest or competition.
>> > They're playing with each other, not against each other.
>> >
>> > What makes 'dueling' an appropriate choice of word?
>>
>> Have you ever seen the movie *Deliverance*? (Dueling banjos. One of the
>> classic scenes in American cinema.)
>
>More precisely, that's a banjo-guitar duel:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

Yes, in the movie, it's a guitar and banjo. But the original
performance of the tune was a duel between two banjos, hence its name.
LFS
2018-07-13 15:15:42 UTC
On 12/07/2018 18:43, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:31:17 -0700 (PDT), Dingbat
> <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Have you ever seen the movie *Deliverance*? (Dueling banjos. One of the
>>> classic scenes in American cinema.)
>>
>> More precisely, that's a banjo-guitar duel:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
>

> Yes, in the movie, it's a guitar and banjo. But the original
> performance of the tune was a duel between two banjos, hence its name.

Son, in his first year at film school in Edinburgh, persuaded two
bagpipe players on Princes Street to do a version of it. Made a splendid
little film.

Laura (emulate St George for email)
Snidely
2018-07-14 06:53:02 UTC
On Friday, LFS yelped out that:
> On 12/07/2018 18:43, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:31:17 -0700 (PDT), Dingbat
>> <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> More precisely, that's a banjo-guitar duel:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
>>

>> Yes, in the movie, it's a guitar and banjo. But the original
>> performance of the tune was a duel between two banjos, hence its name.
>>

> Son, in his first year at film school in Edinburgh, persuaded two bagpipe
> players on Princes Street to do a version of it. Made a splendid little film.

Oooooh, WANT!

"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler
moments next day, with six or seven thousand feet of snow and stuff on
top of him?"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain.
s***@gmail.com
2018-07-17 01:50:06 UTC
On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 11:53:09 PM UTC-7, Snidely wrote:
> On Friday, LFS yelped out that:
> > On 12/07/2018 18:43, Ken Blake wrote:

> >> Yes, in the movie, it's a guitar and banjo. But the original
> >> performance of the tune was a duel between two banjos, hence its name.
> >>

> > Son, in his first year at film school in Edinburgh, persuaded two bagpipe
> > players on Princes Street to do a version of it. Made a splendid little film.
>
> Oooooh, WANT!

I imagine Son knows about this guy:

<URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY>

2018-07-15 13:31:12 UTC
On 14/07/18 01:15, LFS wrote:
> On 12/07/2018 18:43, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:31:17 -0700 (PDT), Dingbat
>> <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> More precisely, that's a banjo-guitar duel:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
>>
>> Yes, in the movie, it's a guitar and banjo. But the original
>> performance of the tune was a duel between two banjos, hence its name.
>
> Son, in his first year at film school in Edinburgh, persuaded two
> bagpipe players on Princes Street to do a version of it. Made a splendid
> little film.

I have sometimes been tempted to ask my guitar teacher to get the two of
us doing this piece, but you have just killed that ambition. I could
never match that.

GordonD
2018-07-16 15:59:50 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNF_F6oeRU
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-16 16:38:29 UTC
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 11:59:54 AM UTC-4, GordonD wrote:
> On 15/07/2018 14:31, Peter Moylan wrote:

> >> Son, in his first year at film school in Edinburgh, persuaded two
> >> bagpipe players on Princes Street to do a version of it. Made a splendid
> >> little film.
> > I have sometimes been tempted to ask my guitar teacher to get the two of
> > us doing this piece, but you have just killed that ambition. I could
> > never match that.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNF_F6oeRU

That poor girl! First she has to put up with being serenaded by one of
them. Then the other comes on and tries to out-serenade. And then, at
about 1:10, they start on the actual "Dueling Banjos" tune and begin to
dance with each other, shunting her upstage. Then they reach for each
other's bags. Then they bump butts. Eventually they remember they're
supposed to be impressing a woman, and she ends up getting stuck with
the both of them.

I take it this isn't young Master Spira's movie.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-07-16 16:40:02 UTC

The poor girl doesn't seem to mind a bit!
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-16 16:47:41 UTC
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 12:40:05 PM UTC-4, Madrigal Gurneyhalt wrote:
> On Monday, 16 July 2018 17:38:32 UTC+1, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNF_F6oeRU
> > That poor girl! First she has to put up with being serenaded by one of
> > them. Then the other comes on and tries to out-serenade. And then, at
> > about 1:10, they start on the actual "Dueling Banjos" tune and begin to
> > dance with each other, shunting her upstage. Then they reach for each
> > other's bags. Then they bump butts. Eventually they remember they're
> > supposed to be impressing a woman, and she ends up getting stuck with
> > the both of them.
> > I take it this isn't young Master Spira's movie.
>
> The poor girl doesn't seem to mind a bit!

It was a stage production before an audience. She was paid to endure the
event and appear to be enjoying it.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-07-16 17:21:51 UTC
On Monday, 16 July 2018 17:47:44 UTC+1, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 12:40:05 PM UTC-4, Madrigal Gurneyhalt wrote:

> > > That poor girl! First she has to put up with being serenaded by one of
> > > them. Then the other comes on and tries to out-serenade. And then, at
> > > about 1:10, they start on the actual "Dueling Banjos" tune and begin to
> > > dance with each other, shunting her upstage. Then they reach for each
> > > other's bags. Then they bump butts. Eventually they remember they're
> > > supposed to be impressing a woman, and she ends up getting stuck with
> > > the both of them.
> > > I take it this isn't young Master Spira's movie.
> >
> > The poor girl doesn't seem to mind a bit!
>
> It was a stage production before an audience. She was paid to endure the
> event and appear to be enjoying it.

I regret to inform you that you have totally failed to understand
the nature of the performance. Let us just say that the only
payment involved would have been from not to the performers!
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-16 17:42:31 UTC
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 1:21:54 PM UTC-4, Madrigal Gurneyhalt wrote:
> On Monday, 16 July 2018 17:47:44 UTC+1, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> > > The poor girl doesn't seem to mind a bit!
> > It was a stage production before an audience. She was paid to endure the
> > event and appear to be enjoying it.
>
> I regret to inform you that you have totally failed to understand
> the nature of the performance. Let us just say that the only
> payment involved would have been from not to the performers!

You may be proceeding from an assumption that listening to bagpipes
(especially in an enclosed space) is a pleasant thing to do.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-07-16 23:02:46 UTC
On Monday, 16 July 2018 18:42:34 UTC+1, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 1:21:54 PM UTC-4, Madrigal Gurneyhalt wrote:

> > > It was a stage production before an audience. She was paid to endure the
> > > event and appear to be enjoying it.
> >
> > I regret to inform you that you have totally failed to understand
> > the nature of the performance. Let us just say that the only
> > payment involved would have been from not to the performers!
>
> You may be proceeding from an assumption that listening to bagpipes
> (especially in an enclosed space) is a pleasant thing to do.

Whether I am or not I think it reasonable to assume that the College
of Pipers certainly does!
Tony Cooper
2018-07-17 00:06:29 UTC
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:02:46 -0700 (PDT), Madrigal Gurneyhalt
<***@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, 16 July 2018 18:42:34 UTC+1, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

>> > I regret to inform you that you have totally failed to understand
>> > the nature of the performance. Let us just say that the only
>> > payment involved would have been from not to the performers!
>>
>> You may be proceeding from an assumption that listening to bagpipes
>> (especially in an enclosed space) is a pleasant thing to do.
>
>Whether I am or not I think it reasonable to assume that the College
>of Pipers certainly does!

I don't think I'd buy a ticket to attend a piping concert, but I do
enjoy the appearances of the Rosie O'Grady's Pipe and Drum Corp at
parades and other events here in Orlando. I like the drums along with
the pipes. It's a large group, and quite good.

https://www.facebook.com/Rosie-OGradys-Highlanders-Pipes-and-Drums-71846838686/

"Seven Nations" is a Celtic/folk/rock group that started here in
Florida, but has become a nationally and even internationally known
group. Three of the group play the Highland Bagpipes, but - like a
lot of musicians - play other instruments in their sets. One member,
who is not longer in the group, played the Uileann bagpipes.

They used to appear locally quite a bit, but seldom come back now that
they are playing national and international dates. They were featured
at the XIX Winter Olympic Games at the torch lighting ceremony. I
have to content myself with the CDs I bought at their earlier
appearances here.

2018-07-17 00:22:09 UTC
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 20:06:29 -0400, Tony Cooper
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:02:46 -0700 (PDT), Madrigal Gurneyhalt
><***@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> You may be proceeding from an assumption that listening to bagpipes
>>> (especially in an enclosed space) is a pleasant thing to do.
>>
>>Whether I am or not I think it reasonable to assume that the College
>>of Pipers certainly does!
>
>I don't think I'd buy a ticket to attend a piping concert, but I do
>enjoy the appearances of the Rosie O'Grady's Pipe and Drum Corp at
>parades and other events here in Orlando. I like the drums along with
>the pipes. It's a large group, and quite good.
>
>https://www.facebook.com/Rosie-OGradys-Highlanders-Pipes-and-Drums-71846838686/
>
>"Seven Nations" is a Celtic/folk/rock group that started here in
>Florida, but has become a nationally and even internationally known
>group. Three of the group play the Highland Bagpipes, but - like a
>lot of musicians - play other instruments in their sets. One member,
>who is not longer in the group, played the Uileann bagpipes.
>
>They used to appear locally quite a bit, but seldom come back now that
>they are playing national and international dates. They were featured
>at the XIX Winter Olympic Games at the torch lighting ceremony. I
>have to content myself with the CDs I bought at their earlier
>appearances here.

I saw the Black Watch, accompanied by the Argyll and Sutherland
Highlanders at Lehigh University's Stabler Arena in 1989.

A "military tattoo".

Three bands, two from the Black Watch and one from the Argyll and
Sutherland Highlanders - 90 members in all - toured and performed in
seventy cities across the U.S.

I remember that it was quite a stirring experience.
Mack A. Damia
2018-07-13 15:25:25 UTC

That's Trey Gowdy (as a child) playing the banjo.
cruciverbalist
2018-07-13 19:54:48 UTC
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:25:25 -0700, Mack A. Damia
<***@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 10:43:16 -0700, Ken Blake <***@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:31:17 -0700 (PDT), Dingbat
>><***@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>More precisely, that's a banjo-guitar duel:
>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
>>

>>Yes, in the movie, it's a guitar and banjo. But the original
>>performance of the tune was a duel between two banjos, hence its name.
>
>That's Trey Gowdy (as a child) playing the banjo.

LOL! I swear I thought the same thing!

Jack
soup
2018-07-14 05:01:44 UTC
On 13/07/2018 16:25, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 10:43:16 -0700, Ken Blake <***@invalid.news.com>
> wrote:

>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:31:17 -0700 (PDT), Dingbat
>> <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> More precisely, that's a banjo-guitar duel:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

>> Yes, in the movie, it's a guitar and banjo. But the original
>> performance of the tune was a duel between two banjos, hence its name.

> That's Trey Gowdy (as a child) playing the banjo.

No idea who Trey Gowdy is, but you do realise the person seen holding
the banjo, as if he was playing it, is NOT the person actually playing?

The actual player was situated behind the onscreen actor and had his
hands/arms shoved through the actors armpits to actually play the guitar
whilst it looked like the actor was doing so.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-07-14 11:49:21 UTC
On Saturday, 14 July 2018 06:01:41 UTC+1, soup wrote:
> On 13/07/2018 16:25, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 10:43:16 -0700, Ken Blake <***@invalid.news.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Yes, in the movie, it's a guitar and banjo. But the original
> >> performance of the tune was a duel between two banjos, hence its name.
>
> > That's Trey Gowdy (as a child) playing the banjo.
>
> No idea who Trey Gowdy is, but you do realise the person seen holding
> the banjo, as if he was playing it, is NOT the person actually playing?
>
> The actual player was situated behind the onscreen actor and had his
> hands/arms shoved through the actors armpits to actually play the guitar
> whilst it looked like the actor was doing so.

Er ... no ... the music was pre-recorded. No playing was involved.
Ronny Cox who is a skilled guitar player (currently appearing in
Nashville) was able to act the part of the guitarist very successfully.
The 'playing' of Billy Redden, not a musician, looked too unnatural
in the first rushes and thus a local musician was brought in to act
as Redden's left arm to better approximate the fingering while Redden
continued as the right hand. The result, however, to anyone with even
a basic knowledge of banjo, remains completely unconvincing. Kermit's
playing on Rainbow Connection is far more 'real'!
Mack A. Damia
2018-07-14 15:00:08 UTC
On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 06:01:44 +0100, soup <***@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 13/07/2018 16:25, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 10:43:16 -0700, Ken Blake <***@invalid.news.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, in the movie, it's a guitar and banjo. But the original
>>> performance of the tune was a duel between two banjos, hence its name.
>
>> That's Trey Gowdy (as a child) playing the banjo.
>
>No idea who Trey Gowdy is, but you do realise the person seen holding
>the banjo, as if he was playing it, is NOT the person actually playing?

Harold Watson "Trey" Gowdy III is an American attorney, politician and
former federal prosecutor serving as the U.S. Representative for South
Carolina's 4th congressional district since 2011. A Republican, he is
a member of the Tea Party movement.

He was recently observed bashing the witness during the congressional
hearing of the FBI official accused of bashing trump in an email.

>The actual player was situated behind the onscreen actor and had his
>hands/arms shoved through the actors armpits to actually play the guitar
>whilst it looked like the actor was doing so.

Doesn't matter.

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/07/7-gowdy.w710.h473.jpg
Peter Young
2018-07-11 12:58:15 UTC
On 11 Jul 2018 Dingbat <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Meaning of Dueling Guitars?
> https://www.google.com/search?dueling+guitars

> There's no duel in the sense of a contest or competition.
> They're playing with each other, not against each other.

> What makes 'dueling' an appropriate choice of word?

In a jazz context, usually the meaning is that each is trying to outdo the
other one.

Peter.

(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist) (AUE Au)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
Ken Blake
2018-07-11 15:31:09 UTC
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 05:18:41 -0700 (PDT), Dingbat
<***@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Meaning of Dueling Guitars?
>https://www.google.com/search?dueling+guitars
>
>There's no duel in the sense of a contest or competition.
>They're playing with each other, not against each other.
>
>What makes 'dueling' an appropriate choice of word?

Each guitarist trying to play better than the other.