Placement of "Also"
Add Reply
Pavel Svinchnik
2017-12-03 20:00:33 UTC
Our cable company has various Music Choice channels, each of which plays a different genre of music; I frequently listen to the Classical Masterpieces channel. While the piece is playing, they often have short biographical notes, e.g., "Luigi Spumoni performed his mandolin sonata before the Pope in August, 1701."

Today they were playing a piece by Heinichen and posted that he attended a certain school "that his father ALSO had attended." (CAPS mine for focus.)

That seemed odd phrasing to me; I would have said "that his father had ALSO attended." Although it might be incorrect to split "had" from "attended" with the ALSO, it seems correct to me in Midwestern U.S.A. English.

You could also say "that his father had attended ALSO."

All three versions are understandable; any comments or preferences?

Paul
Peter T. Daniels
2017-12-03 20:38:04 UTC
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Our cable company has various Music Choice channels, each of which plays a different genre of music; I frequently listen to the Classical Masterpieces channel. While the piece is playing, they often have short biographical notes, e.g., "Luigi Spumoni performed his mandolin sonata before the Pope in August, 1701."
Today they were playing a piece by Heinichen and posted that he attended a certain school "that his father ALSO had attended." (CAPS mine for focus.)
That seemed odd phrasing to me; I would have said "that his father had ALSO attended." Although it might be incorrect to split "had" from "attended" with the ALSO,
It isn't.

Why do you suppose it might be?
The last would be better with "too" not "also."
Mark Brader
2017-12-03 23:40:19 UTC
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Today they were playing a piece by Heinichen and posted that he attended
a certain school "that his father ALSO had attended." (CAPS mine for
focus.)
That seemed odd phrasing to me; I would have said "that his father
had ALSO attended." ... You could also say "that his father had
attended ALSO."
I also prefer the second of the three versions, but all are certainly
correct and pretty much equivalent.
--
Mark Brader "Outside of nearly having two head-on collisions,
***@vex.net we found driving in England to be fairly easy."
Toronto -- Cher Classick
Ken Blake
2017-12-04 18:15:43 UTC
Post by Pavel Svinchnik
Today they were playing a piece by Heinichen and posted that he attended
a certain school "that his father ALSO had attended." (CAPS mine for
focus.)
That seemed odd phrasing to me; I would have said "that his father
had ALSO attended." ... You could also say "that his father had
attended ALSO."
I also prefer the second of the three versions, but all are certainly
correct and pretty much equivalent.
Ditto to both those statements.