reaching there
g***@gmail.com
2017-07-12 22:26:29 UTC
I've discovered that I don't think "there" works (well)
as the direct object of "reach." I've also discovered
that not all native speakers feel as I do about this.

(1a) We arrived there in the morning.
(1b) We got there in the morning.
(1c) We reached there in the morning.

(2a) What time will we arrive there?
(2b) What time will we get there?
(2c) What time will we reach there?

Would you say those sentences all work? I know the
(a) and (b) sentences do. They're just objects of
comparison. My sole concern is with (1c) and (2c).

Thank you. Cheers.
Horace LaBadie
There's no there there to complain of.
Don Phillipson
2017-07-12 23:05:58 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
I've discovered that I don't think "there" works (well)
as the direct object of "reach." I've also discovered
that not all native speakers feel as I do about this.
(1a) We arrived there in the morning.
(1b) We got there in the morning.
(1c) We reached there in the morning.
(2a) What time will we arrive there?
(2b) What time will we get there?
(2c) What time will we reach there?
Would you say those sentences all work? I know the
(a) and (b) sentences do. They're just objects of
comparison. My sole concern is with (1c) and (2c).
In this context, the verb "reach" usually takes a specific
object, e.g. people say "We reached New Orleans in the
morning" -- not "reached there." 1c and 2c break no
rule of grammar but would not be spontaneously said
by native English speakers.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Peter T. Daniels
2017-07-13 02:51:46 UTC
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by g***@gmail.com
I've discovered that I don't think "there" works (well)
as the direct object of "reach." I've also discovered
that not all native speakers feel as I do about this.
(1a) We arrived there in the morning.
(1b) We got there in the morning.
(1c) We reached there in the morning.
(2a) What time will we arrive there?
(2b) What time will we get there?
(2c) What time will we reach there?
Would you say those sentences all work? I know the
(a) and (b) sentences do. They're just objects of
comparison. My sole concern is with (1c) and (2c).
In this context, the verb "reach" usually takes a specific
object, e.g. people say "We reached New Orleans in the
morning" -- not "reached there." 1c and 2c break no
rule of grammar but would not be spontaneously said
by native English speakers.
If N'Orleans was already in the context, it would be "We reached it in the morning."

But "We got there." "We arrived there" is very formal.
Robert Bannister
2017-07-14 02:06:30 UTC
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by g***@gmail.com
I've discovered that I don't think "there" works (well)
as the direct object of "reach." I've also discovered
that not all native speakers feel as I do about this.
(1a) We arrived there in the morning.
(1b) We got there in the morning.
(1c) We reached there in the morning.
(2a) What time will we arrive there?
(2b) What time will we get there?
(2c) What time will we reach there?
Would you say those sentences all work? I know the
(a) and (b) sentences do. They're just objects of
comparison. My sole concern is with (1c) and (2c).
In this context, the verb "reach" usually takes a specific
object, e.g. people say "We reached New Orleans in the
morning" -- not "reached there." 1c and 2c break no
rule of grammar but would not be spontaneously said
by native English speakers.
I can't see that no native speaker would say those two. It is easy
enough to think of "there" in some situations as being a place and
therefore a pronoun/noun in some circumstances - "where we are going"
can be replaced by "there". Perhaps, with further thought, the same
speakers might correct themselves, but I can easily imagine saying "what
time will we reach there". Writing it, is of course a different story.
--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972
g***@gmail.com
2017-07-19 13:05:27 UTC
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
Can anyone think of another transitive verb, besides
"reach," which seems to try to take (successfully or
not) "there" as a direct object? I haven't been able to.
b***@aol.com
2017-07-19 14:05:58 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
"Attain", as in:

"However, we attained there at length, and made the greater haste, because our stomachs were exceedingly sharp and hungry."

But this is from "The Life and Most Surprising Adventures of Robinson Crusoe" and may have become obsolete.
Robert Bannister
2017-07-19 23:31:57 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
Already mentioned: "get".
b***@aol.com
2017-07-19 23:57:29 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
But in "get there", "get" is intransitive. It's otherwise constructed
with "to" (one gets to a place), as is "go".
Mark Brader
2017-07-20 03:02:57 UTC
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by g***@gmail.com
Can anyone think of another transitive verb, besides
"reach," which seems to try to take (successfully or
not) "there" as a direct object? I haven't been able to.
Already mentioned: "get".
But in "get there", "get" is intransitive. It's otherwise constructed
with "to" (one gets to a place), as is "go".
That's interesting, because "get" *isn't* normally intransitive. You
can't say "We get" as a complete sentence. And yet you *can* say
"get to a place". It feels as though "get" wants to be completed
either with a direct object or with an adverbial expression.
--
Mark Brader | "You wake me up early in the morning to tell me
Toronto | I am right? Please wait until I am wrong."

g***@gmail.com
2017-07-20 04:37:24 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by g***@gmail.com
Can anyone think of another transitive verb, besides
"reach," which seems to try to take (successfully or
not) "there" as a direct object? I haven't been able to.
Already mentioned: "get".
But in "get there", "get" is intransitive. It's otherwise constructed
with "to" (one gets to a place), as is "go".
That's interesting, because "get" *isn't* normally intransitive. You
can't say "We get" as a complete sentence. And yet you *can* say
"get to a place". It feels as though "get" wants to be completed
either with a direct object or with an adverbial expression.
I think Bebercito's point stands. My understanding is that, in
order to be transitive, a verb needs to be capable of being used
with a direct object; otherwise the verb is intransitive.

"Get" is capable of taking a direct object, but not in the relevant
sense of the verb. One can _get to Hong Kong_, but that's intransitive.
One cannot *_get Hong Kong_, just as one can't *_arrive Hong Kong_.

My hypothesis is that "there" is a pro-form in "get there," "arrive
there," etc. More specifically, I think it is a pro-prepositional
phrase (a pro-PP). In "arrive there," e.g., "there" = "at/in Hong Kong."

I believe most dictionaries label this kind of "there" an adverb,
which strikes me as hogwash. The PP in place of which "there" is used
as a pro-form may be adverbial, but that doesn't make "there" an adverb.

Notice that "reach" -- in the relevant sense -- is not complemented
by prepositional phrases. One doesn't *_reach to the summit_. One may,
with Cher, "reach for the stars," but that's a different sense.

I'm putting my pro-PP hypothesis/theory out here for you guys to smash,
if you think you can smash it. Somebody might point out that it's an NP
in "come _from there_" -- but there, "there" is occurring _inside_ a PP!
David Kleinecke
2017-07-20 05:20:34 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Mark Brader
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
I don't work with pro-forms. IMO "get there" is a phrasal
verb construction (compare "get up").
b***@aol.com
2017-07-20 10:35:58 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Mark Brader
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
To me, it's just that "there" has come to substitute for "thither", which
was specifically allative, and can now have the inherent meaning of "to
there".
Snidely
2017-07-26 08:11:59 UTC
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by g***@gmail.com
My hypothesis is that "there" is a pro-form in "get there," "arrive
there," etc. More specifically, I think it is a pro-prepositional
phrase (a pro-PP). In "arrive there," e.g., "there" = "at/in Hong Kong."
To me, it's just that "there" has come to substitute for "thither", which
was specifically allative, and can now have the inherent meaning of "to
there".
That "has come to" s/b "has long since". "Thither" in my youth was
already archaic and only heard in set phrases like "thither and yon"
used for story-telling. It's only appearance in conversation was when
you used "thither and yon" because you didn't want to get into the gory
details of where you actually went.

/dps
--
There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are
ask. (R. Lerhman, CSMonitor.com)
Peter T. Daniels
"hither and yon," no?
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-07-26 14:19:02 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by g***@gmail.com
My hypothesis is that "there" is a pro-form in "get there," "arrive
there," etc. More specifically, I think it is a pro-prepositional
phrase (a pro-PP). In "arrive there," e.g., "there" = "at/in Hong Kong."
To me, it's just that "there" has come to substitute for "thither", which
was specifically allative, and can now have the inherent meaning of "to
there".
That "has come to" s/b "has long since". "Thither" in my youth was
already archaic and only heard in set phrases like "thither and yon"
used for story-telling. It's only appearance in conversation was when
you used "thither and yon" because you didn't want to get into the gory
details of where you actually went.
Even in my youth I think "here and there" was more common.
athel
Robert Bannister
2017-07-26 23:09:20 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by g***@gmail.com
My hypothesis is that "there" is a pro-form in "get there," "arrive
there," etc. More specifically, I think it is a pro-prepositional
phrase (a pro-PP). In "arrive there," e.g., "there" = "at/in Hong Kong."
To me, it's just that "there" has come to substitute for "thither", which
was specifically allative, and can now have the inherent meaning of "to
there".
That "has come to" s/b "has long since". "Thither" in my youth was
already archaic and only heard in set phrases like "thither and yon"
used for story-telling. It's only appearance in conversation was when
you used "thither and yon" because you didn't want to get into the gory
details of where you actually went.
"hither and thither" too, also mainly from stories.
Peter T. Daniels
2017-07-20 11:41:29 UTC
[Brader's screwing with the attributions too tangled to fix]
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Mark Brader
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
Yes, it does. Unless, of course, you reject the premodern category "adverb,"
which simply means "other."
Post by g***@gmail.com
Notice that "reach" -- in the relevant sense -- is not complemented
by prepositional phrases. One doesn't *_reach to the summit_. One may,
with Cher, "reach for the stars," but that's a different sense.
"Reach" in "reach for" is no more (or less) transitive than "get" in "get to."

Seems there are two different lexical items "get," one transitive, one intransitive.
Robert Bannister
2017-07-20 23:12:25 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Mark Brader
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
A number of languages have separate words or different inflections for
"to there, from there" and just "there", and even English once regularly
used "thither and thence". I think they are all considered to be
adverbs. I'm not sure what a pro-prepositional phrase is.
Robert Bannister
Horace LaBadie
Search there and there and there.
Peter T. Daniels
2017-07-20 13:33:18 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
Shirley, those are adverbs and not pronouns; "search" is intransitive there.

Compare "Search that and that and that."
Horace LaBadie
2017-07-20 14:08:44 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
Search Reading and Altoona and Allentown.

Search there and there and there.
Peter T. Daniels
2017-07-20 15:28:29 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
Computerese condensation of "search for."
Adverbs.
David Kleinecke
2017-07-20 17:13:08 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Horace LaBadie
Search there and there and there.
Adverbs.
Locatives - just like Reading et al.

PS: I think he means "Search [in] Reading ..
Horace LaBadie
Search me.
David Kleinecke
2017-07-20 18:14:21 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Horace LaBadie
Search there and there and there.
Adverbs.
Locatives - just like Reading et al.
PS: I think he means "Search [in] Reading ..
Search me.
Classical idiom. Not much more compositional than "kick the
bucket".
Peter T. Daniels
2017-07-20 19:44:43 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Horace LaBadie
Search there and there and there.
Adverbs.
Locatives - just like Reading et al.
PS: I think he means "Search [in] Reading ..
Oh. If he'd said "Search his house and his office and his club," it would have
been clear. But an order to search three entire small cities is unlikely.
Robert Bannister
2017-07-20 23:17:16 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Horace LaBadie
Search there and there and there.
Adverbs.
Locatives - just like Reading et al.
PS: I think he means "Search [in] Reading ..
I thought it was more like "We searched Reading for a decent restaurant
without success".
Robert Bannister
2017-07-20 23:16:25 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
I took it to mean "search" as in "the police searched me". Whatever,
"search a person" or "search a place" is a different usage from "search
there" in my opinion.
Jerry Friedman
2017-07-13 02:56:49 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
I've discovered that I don't think "there" works (well)
as the direct object of "reach." I've also discovered
that not all native speakers feel as I do about this.
(1a) We arrived there in the morning.
(1b) We got there in the morning.
(1c) We reached there in the morning.
(2a) What time will we arrive there?
(2b) What time will we get there?
(2c) What time will we reach there?
Would you say those sentences all work? I know the
(a) and (b) sentences do. They're just objects of
comparison. My sole concern is with (1c) and (2c).
Thank you. Cheers.
They're understandable, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear
native speakers say them, but I don't think I'd say them.
Jerry Friedman
David Kleinecke
Surely there is somewhere a town called There.
Tony Cooper
2017-07-13 05:34:51 UTC
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:23:28 -0700 (PDT), David Kleinecke
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by g***@gmail.com
I've discovered that I don't think "there" works (well)
as the direct object of "reach." I've also discovered
that not all native speakers feel as I do about this.
(1a) We arrived there in the morning.
(1b) We got there in the morning.
(1c) We reached there in the morning.
(2a) What time will we arrive there?
(2b) What time will we get there?
(2c) What time will we reach there?
Would you say those sentences all work? I know the
(a) and (b) sentences do. They're just objects of
comparison. My sole concern is with (1c) and (2c).
Thank you. Cheers.
They're understandable, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear
native speakers say them, but I don't think I'd say them.
--
Jerry Friedman
Surely there is somewhere a town called There.
Not quite. The town is waiting and asking "Are we there yet?"
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-07-13 06:24:45 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by g***@gmail.com
I've discovered that I don't think "there" works (well)
as the direct object of "reach." I've also discovered
that not all native speakers feel as I do about this.
(1a) We arrived there in the morning.
(1b) We got there in the morning.
(1c) We reached there in the morning.
(2a) What time will we arrive there?
(2b) What time will we get there?
(2c) What time will we reach there?
Would you say those sentences all work? I know the
(a) and (b) sentences do. They're just objects of
comparison. My sole concern is with (1c) and (2c).
Thank you. Cheers.
They're understandable, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear
native speakers say them, but I don't think I'd say them.
--
Jerry Friedman
Surely there is somewhere a town called There.
The only There I've found with Google Maps is in Assam, India. Judging
from the satellite view, however, it resembles Oakland.

Otherwise Google Maps suggests Thira, in Greece, usually known as
Santorini. Curiously, however, if you zoom in on it you get to Ios, not
Thira, though the photo illustrating it is Thira.
athel
LFS
2017-07-13 08:57:37 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by g***@gmail.com
I've discovered that I don't think "there" works (well)
as the direct object of "reach." I've also discovered
that not all native speakers feel as I do about this.
(1a) We arrived there in the morning.
(1b) We got there in the morning.
(1c) We reached there in the morning.
(2a) What time will we arrive there?
(2b) What time will we get there?
(2c) What time will we reach there?
Would you say those sentences all work? I know the
(a) and (b) sentences do. They're just objects of
comparison. My sole concern is with (1c) and (2c).
Thank you. Cheers.
They're understandable, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear
native speakers say them, but I don't think I'd say them.
--
Jerry Friedman
Surely there is somewhere a town called There.
You'd think but sadly nothing shows up when you search Google Maps...
Laura (emulate St George for email)
RH Draney
2017-07-13 09:37:09 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by David Kleinecke
Surely there is somewhere a town called There.
You'd think but sadly nothing shows up when you search Google Maps...
None searching the GNIS place name server either, so apparently Gertrude
Stein was right...I do find a couple of towns called "Theresa", and a
number of churches and schools...however, no evidence exists of Theresa
Tavern in the town....r
b***@aol.com
2017-07-13 15:26:05 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by LFS
Post by David Kleinecke
Surely there is somewhere a town called There.
You'd think but sadly nothing shows up when you search Google Maps...
None searching the GNIS place name server either, so apparently Gertrude
Stein was right...I do find a couple of towns called "Theresa"
There, South Africa?

, and a
Tavern in the town....r
Jerry Friedman
2017-07-13 18:14:25 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by LFS
Post by David Kleinecke
Surely there is somewhere a town called There.
You'd think but sadly nothing shows up when you search Google Maps...
None searching the GNIS place name server either, so apparently Gertrude
Stein was right...I do find a couple of towns called "Theresa", and a
number of churches and schools...however, no evidence exists of Theresa
Tavern in the town....r
Or Theresa Road (no simple highway).
Jerry Friedman
Robert Bannister
2017-07-14 02:08:40 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
A surprising number of places I look for on Google Maps give me the
message: "Add a new place to Google Maps?"
g***@gmail.com
2017-07-16 00:26:26 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by g***@gmail.com
I've discovered that I don't think "there" works (well)
as the direct object of "reach." I've also discovered
that not all native speakers feel as I do about this.
(1a) We arrived there in the morning.
(1b) We got there in the morning.
(1c) We reached there in the morning.
(2a) What time will we arrive there?
(2b) What time will we get there?
(2c) What time will we reach there?
Would you say those sentences all work? I know the
(a) and (b) sentences do. They're just objects of
comparison. My sole concern is with (1c) and (2c).
Thank you. Cheers.
They're understandable, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear
native speakers say them, but I don't think I'd say them.
--
Jerry Friedman
Thank you all for your feedback, and for the amusing
side discussion. I'm glad to know that at least some
of you experience some grammatical discomfort at the
thought of using (1c) & (2c). Check out these COCA stats:

arrive there: 88
arrives there: 24
arrived there: 263
arriving there: 52

get there: 6270
gets there: 361
got there: 3376
getting there: 1498
gotten there: 266

reach there: 18
reaches there: 0
reached there: 17
reaching there: 6

Technically, there is 1 COCA hit for "reaches there,"
but it's for the grammatically irrelevant sentence
"In the upper reaches there is a cocoon," in which "reaches"
is a noun. Now, look at the COCA stats for the "it" version:

reaches it: 48
reach it: 537
reached it: 268
reaching it: 64
Harrison Hill
2017-07-13 07:14:50 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
I've discovered that I don't think "there" works (well)
as the direct object of "reach." I've also discovered
that not all native speakers feel as I do about this.
(1a) We arrived there in the morning.
(1b) We got there in the morning.
(1c) We reached there in the morning.
(2a) What time will we arrive there?
(2b) What time will we get there?
(2c) What time will we reach there?
Would you say those sentences all work? I know the
(a) and (b) sentences do. They're just objects of
comparison. My sole concern is with (1c) and (2c).
Thank you. Cheers.
I agree with the others.

1a/2a I might say in a formal setting.
2a/2b in an informal setting.
3a/3b never.

"Reach" goes with a specific place on a leg of a journey.
You might "reach" Singapore at dawn, on your way to Australia.
Unless "there" had been predefined, you would never "reach"
plain old "there".