Meaning of "a cameo"
2017-09-26 17:36:03 UTC

My bit is from about 3.17.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
I don't think I know what "a cameo" means, but this is one.
A face, a relief, an interjection? Something which is "by the
by" (or bye) and is at the same time "to the point"?

Do others of the rest of you not have videos of yourselves?
If not why not :)
Peter T. Daniels
2017-09-26 17:47:33 UTC
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 1:36:07 PM UTC-4, Harrison Hill wrote:

[no, LFS wrote:]
Post by Harrison Hill
http://youtu.be/oTH5HYVyR4U
My bit is from about 3.17.
I don't think I know what "a cameo" means, but this is one.
A face, a relief, an interjection? Something which is "by the
by" (or bye) and is at the same time "to the point"?
Do others of the rest of you not have videos of yourselves?
If not why not :)
A cameo is a brief appearance by a well-known personality in a dramatic presentation.
E.g., Marshall McLuhan had a cameo in *Annie Hall*, Stan Lee has a cameo in
every Marvel Comics movie.
Harrison Hill
2017-09-26 17:52:35 UTC
[no, LFS wrote:]
Post by Harrison Hill
http://youtu.be/oTH5HYVyR4U
My bit is from about 3.17.
I don't think I know what "a cameo" means, but this is one.
A face, a relief, an interjection? Something which is "by the
by" (or bye) and is at the same time "to the point"?
Do others of the rest of you not have videos of yourselves?
If not why not :)
A cameo is a brief appearance by a well-known personality in a dramatic presentation.
E.g., Marshall McLuhan had a cameo in *Annie Hall*, Stan Lee has a cameo in
every Marvel Comics movie.
Arguably, Laura isn't *that* "well known" other than from
round here? A "cameo" is a white Wedgewood face on a blue
broach?
Janet
2017-09-26 18:25:07 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Arguably, Laura isn't *that* "well known" other than from
round here?
So, you haven't googled her.

Janet.
J. J. Lodder
2017-09-26 19:16:57 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Harrison Hill
Arguably, Laura isn't *that* "well known" other than from
round here?
So, you haven't googled her.
Google: did you mean l'aura spira?

2017-09-27 03:38:23 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Harrison Hill
Arguably, Laura isn't *that* "well known" other than from
round here?
So, you haven't googled her.
You've just prompted me to google Harrison Hill. Apparently he was the
one who said "A very famous man once said that sincerity is everything.
Once you learn to fake that, the rest is easy. "

That's assuming that I found the right Harrison. He might also be a
photojournalist, a school, or a mountain.
2017-09-27 05:59:02 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Harrison Hill
Arguably, Laura isn't *that* "well known" other than from
round here?
So, you haven't googled her.
You've just prompted me to google Harrison Hill. Apparently he was the
one who said "A very famous man once said that sincerity is everything.
Once you learn to fake that, the rest is easy. "
Maybe he's Bruce Willis's sock-puppet.
Post by Peter Moylan
That's assuming that I found the right Harrison. He might also be a
photojournalist, a school, or a mountain.
Maybe he's a professional golfer. However, if he was 17 in 2012 he must
have been very young when he started posting here.
GordonD
2017-09-27 08:16:12 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Arguably, Laura isn't *that* "well known" other than from
round here?
   So, you haven't googled her.
You've just prompted me to google Harrison Hill. Apparently he was the
one who said "A very famous man once said that sincerity is everything.
Once you learn to fake that, the rest is easy. "
That's assuming that I found the right Harrison. He might also be a
photojournalist, a school, or a mountain.
Do you have to cross Harrison Ford before you can climb Harrison Hill?
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
charles
2017-09-26 18:21:50 UTC
[no, LFS wrote:]
Post by Harrison Hill
http://youtu.be/oTH5HYVyR4U
My bit is from about 3.17.
I don't think I know what "a cameo" means, but this is one. A face, a
relief, an interjection? Something which is "by the by" (or bye) and is
at the same time "to the point"?
Do others of the rest of you not have videos of yourselves? If not why
not :)
A cameo is a brief appearance by a well-known personality in a dramatic
presentation. E.g., Marshall McLuhan had a cameo in *Annie Hall*, Stan
Lee has a cameo in every Marvel Comics movie.
In Silent Movie: marcel Marceau says "non".
2017-09-26 20:30:19 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Harrison Hill
I don't think I know what "a cameo" means, but this is one. A face, a
relief, an interjection? Something which is "by the by" (or bye) and is
at the same time "to the point"?
Do others of the rest of you not have videos of yourselves? If not why
not :)
A cameo is a brief appearance by a well-known personality in a dramatic
presentation. E.g., Marshall McLuhan had a cameo in *Annie Hall*, Stan
Lee has a cameo in every Marvel Comics movie.
In Silent Movie: marcel Marceau says "non".
A few weeks ago the Decades network showed a Dick Cavett Show in which he
interviewed Marcel Marceau. I tuned in because I expected there would be
a gimmick -- as when Harpo Marx would "give an interview" -- but there wasn't.
He simply talked about his history and demonstrated some of his signature moves.
Bob Martin
2017-09-27 07:12:25 UTC
[no, LFS wrote:]
Post by Harrison Hill
http://youtu.be/oTH5HYVyR4U
My bit is from about 3.17.
Cricket commentators use it a lot to describe a short but productive innings.
Jerry Friedman
2017-09-26 17:58:40 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
http://youtu.be/oTH5HYVyR4U
My bit is from about 3.17.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
I don't think I know what "a cameo" means, but this is one.
I don't think so. Originally, I believe, a cameo was a short but
interesting (as a cameo is small but painstakingly made and beautiful)
part in a play or movie suitable for a famous actor. Now it seems to
mean any small part in a movie given to a famous person or to anyone
chosen for who they are (e.g., the scriptwriter or a friend of the
producer) instead of by the usual casting process. Either way it's
someone playing a dramatic role, not being themselves.

Laura was chosen for that segment in the normal way, because of her
interest in and knowledge of the kind of subject that was covered on
the show (I suppose). I feel sure it's not as if someone said, "We'v
got to get Professor Spira in here somehow."
Post by Harrison Hill
A face, a relief, an interjection? Something which is "by the
by" (or bye) and is at the same time "to the point"?
Do others of the rest of you not have videos of yourselves?
If not why not :)
Nope. Someone may still have tape of my appearance on a high school
quiz show, but I don't.
2017-09-26 18:16:08 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
A face, a relief, an interjection? Something which is "by the
by" (or bye) and is at the same time "to the point"?
Do others of the rest of you not have videos of yourselves?
If not why not :)
Nope. Someone may still have tape of my appearance on a high school
quiz show, but I don't.
I never even saw the tape (it was the very early days of videotape, probably
1982, and only one person had a machine and didn't keep the tape after showing
it to some of the participants) of my appearance on *A.M. Chicago*, Oprah
Winfrey's local morning program on WLS-TV. I was in the audience, and she put
her arm around my shoulders as I asked my question of the guest.

I was also on *Bible Story Game*, a 15-minute TV quiz on WNBC, and my father's
partner made an audiotape of the second of two appearances (the one we didn't
win). That was 7th grade, so 1962-63.
charles
2017-09-26 18:23:58 UTC
http://youtu.be/oTH5HYVyR4U
Post by Harrison Hill
A face, a relief, an interjection? Something which is "by the by" (or
bye) and is at the same time "to the point"?
Do others of the rest of you not have videos of yourselves? If not
why not :)
Nope. Someone may still have tape of my appearance on a high school
quiz show, but I don't.
I never even saw the tape (it was the very early days of videotape,
probably 1982,
Video tape recording was in use by broadcasters from the early 1960s.
2017-09-26 19:42:45 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Peter T. Daniels
I never even saw the tape (it was the very early days of videotape,
probably 1982,
Video tape recording was in use by broadcasters from the early 1960s.
Presumably he means the early days of home VCRs.

2017-09-26 20:18:52 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by charles
Post by Peter T. Daniels
I never even saw the tape (it was the very early days of videotape,
probably 1982,
Video tape recording was in use by broadcasters from the early 1960s.
Presumably he means the early days of home VCRs.
-- Richard
Yes, but he insists everyone writes accurately.
2017-09-26 20:51:46 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by charles
Post by Peter T. Daniels
I never even saw the tape (it was the very early days of videotape,
probably 1982,
Video tape recording was in use by broadcasters from the early 1960s.
Presumably he means the early days of home VCRs.
Yes, but he insists everyone writes accurately.
He also expects people to understand statements from context -- and to use
subjunctives where appropriate.
Peter T. Daniels
2017-09-26 20:27:42 UTC
Post by charles
http://youtu.be/oTH5HYVyR4U
Post by Harrison Hill
A face, a relief, an interjection? Something which is "by the by" (or
bye) and is at the same time "to the point"?
Do others of the rest of you not have videos of yourselves? If not
why not :)
Nope. Someone may still have tape of my appearance on a high school
quiz show, but I don't.
I never even saw the tape (it was the very early days of videotape,
probably 1982,
Video tape recording was in use by broadcasters from the early 1960s.
All right; home video tape. Which was not.
GordonD
2017-09-27 08:18:45 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
http://youtu.be/oTH5HYVyR4U
My bit is from about 3.17.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
I don't think I know what "a cameo" means, but this is one.
I don't think so. Originally, I believe, a cameo was a short but
interesting (as a cameo is small but painstakingly made and beautiful)
Anybody prepared to say that *doesn't* describe Laura?
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
Lewis
2017-09-27 12:19:04 UTC
Post by GordonD
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Harrison Hill
http://youtu.be/oTH5HYVyR4U
My bit is from about 3.17.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
I don't think I know what "a cameo" means, but this is one.
I don't think so. Originally, I believe, a cameo was a short but
interesting (as a cameo is small but painstakingly made and beautiful)
Anybody prepared to say that *doesn't* describe Laura?
Is she short?
--
I CAN BE ROBBED BUT NEVER DENIED, I TOLD MYSELF. WHY WORRY? 'I too
cannot be cheated,' snapped Fate. SO I HAVE HEARD.