[Dubliners] by Joyce ---- Pulp! The Classics
Add Reply
Hen Hanna
2018-06-06 06:17:36 UTC

i was looking at this cover and realized...
omg, J Rhys Meyers is Irish.

my fav Irish actor didn't make it on this cover.

How much would Q. Trantino get for this cover? HH
Don P
2018-06-09 16:07:25 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
https://d20eq91zdmkqd.cloudfront.net/assets/images/book/large/9781/8434/9781843443308.jpg
i was looking at this cover and realized...
omg, J Rhys Meyers is Irish.
The surprise is natural. The name Rhys (and Rees etc.) is unambiguously
Welsh and Meyer(s) usually Jewish. (But Leopold Bloom reminds us Jews
can be Irishmen too.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Hen Hanna
2018-06-09 19:02:42 UTC
Post by Don P
Post by Hen Hanna
https://d20eq91zdmkqd.cloudfront.net/assets/images/book/large/9781/8434/9781843443308.jpg
i was looking at this cover and realized...
omg, J Rhys Meyers is Irish.
The surprise is natural. The name Rhys (and Rees etc.) is unambiguously
Welsh and Meyer(s) usually Jewish. (But Leopold Bloom reminds us Jews
can be Irishmen too.)
My surprise came mainly from watching the Woody-Allen movie
[Match Point] a few times and noticing lack of Irish accent.

i recently read that L.Bloom is half-Jewish -- this was new to me.
ok, his mother wasn't Jewish

my fav Irish actor (Ciran H...) didn't make it on this cover. HH
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-06-09 22:58:27 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Don P
Post by Hen Hanna
https://d20eq91zdmkqd.cloudfront.net/assets/images/book/large/9781/8434/9781843443308.jpg
i was looking at this cover and realized...
omg, J Rhys Meyers is Irish.
The surprise is natural. The name Rhys (and Rees etc.) is unambiguously
Welsh and Meyer(s) usually Jewish. (But Leopold Bloom reminds us Jews
can be Irishmen too.)
My surprise came mainly from watching the Woody-Allen movie
[Match Point] a few times and noticing lack of Irish accent.
I'm no expert, obviously, but I think there's just a possibility that
he was acting!
Hen Hanna
2018-06-10 15:39:09 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Don P
Post by Hen Hanna
https://d20eq91zdmkqd.cloudfront.net/assets/images/book/large/9781/8434/9781843443308.jpg
i was looking at this cover and realized...
omg, J Rhys Meyers is Irish.
The surprise is natural. The name Rhys (and Rees etc.) is unambiguously
Welsh and Meyer(s) usually Jewish. (But Leopold Bloom reminds us Jews
can be Irishmen too.)
My surprise came mainly from watching the Woody-Allen movie
[Match Point] a few times and noticing lack of Irish accent.
I'm no expert, obviously, but I think there's just a possibility that
he was acting!
the plot summary of the Woody-Allen movie [Match Point] must be available at the usual places

The opening 30 minutes or so were brilliant.

J Rhys Meyers plays a tennis coach in a posh tennis club for the upper-class.
He grew up as an Irish orphan, and is desperately trying to be accepted by
the upper-crust -- ideally wooing and marrying a rich girl.

I just felt that the opportunity for exploiting Irish accent -- his trying to hide it... gradually getting better at hiding it... was all missed.

there was not even one instance of a telling (or tell-tale) usage of Anglo-Irish vocab, e.g. when he gets upset, he'd say [Don't you twig?]
(and then he'd appear [omg, that betrays my roots!] )

or [thin wind], etc.

HH