and later engineers
2018-02-10 10:26:37 UTC
1) He hired technicians for his company, and later engineers.

2) I tried to protect him from addiction, and later his sisters.

3) I tried to free him from prison, and later his brother.

4) I tried to protect him from his father, and later his sisters.

Are these sentences grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?

Is '4' ambiguous?
a) I protected his sisters as well.
b) I protected him from his sisters as well.

Gratefully,
Navi
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-02-10 12:50:38 UTC
On Saturday, 10 February 2018 10:26:40 UTC, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> 1) He hired technicians for his company, and later engineers.
>
> 2) I tried to protect him from addiction, and later his sisters.
>
> 3) I tried to free him from prison, and later his brother.
>
> 4) I tried to protect him from his father, and later his sisters.
>
> Are these sentences grammatical?
> Are they idiomatic?
>
> Is '4' ambiguous?
> a) I protected his sisters as well.
> b) I protected him from his sisters as well.

All four are ambiguous and if a decision is made it is almost
certain to be in the direction of the 'wrong' interpretation.

I tried to protect him, and later his sisters, from addiction.
Richard Yates
2018-02-10 13:45:48 UTC
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 02:26:37 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com wrote:

>1) He hired technicians for his company, and later engineers.
>
>2) I tried to protect him from addiction, and later his sisters.
>
>3) I tried to free him from prison, and later his brother.
>
>4) I tried to protect him from his father, and later his sisters.
>
>Are these sentences grammatical?
>Are they idiomatic?
>
>Is '4' ambiguous?
>a) I protected his sisters as well.
>b) I protected him from his sisters as well.
>
>Gratefully,
>Navi

Yes, 4) is ambiguous. With all of these I would have punctuated like
this:

"He hired technicians for his company and, later, engineers."

It avoids misreading "later" as modifying "engineers". That is not a
particular risk with that sentence, but in analogous ones it can be.
John Varela
2018-02-10 20:54:40 UTC
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:45:48 UTC, Richard Yates
<***@yatesguitar.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 02:26:37 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >1) He hired technicians for his company, and later engineers.
> >
> >2) I tried to protect him from addiction, and later his sisters.
> >
> >3) I tried to free him from prison, and later his brother.
> >
> >4) I tried to protect him from his father, and later his sisters.
> >
> >Are these sentences grammatical?
> >Are they idiomatic?
> >
> >Is '4' ambiguous?
> >a) I protected his sisters as well.
> >b) I protected him from his sisters as well.
> >
> >Gratefully,
> >Navi
>
> Yes, 4) is ambiguous. With all of these I would have punctuated like
> this:
>
> "He hired technicians for his company and, later, engineers."
>
> It avoids misreading "later" as modifying "engineers". That is not a
> particular risk with that sentence, but in analogous ones it can be.

Yeah, but now it can be read that later he hired technicians for his
engineers.

John Varela
Peter Moylan
2018-02-22 11:54:35 UTC
On 10/02/18 21:26, ***@gmail.com wrote:

> 2) I tried to protect him from addiction, and later his sisters.

I have known someone who had to be protected from his sisters; but it
doesn't often happen, so this would be an improbable sentence.