Commas in conjunctions Q
Add Reply
Peter Percival
2017-04-18 16:35:16 UTC
Consider

something-or-other, and something-else

and

something-or-other and something-else.

Are there simple rules that say when a comma should be used (as in the
first case) and when not (as in the second)?
to me what you really mean.
2017-04-18 19:07:48 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Consider
something-or-other, and something-else
and
something-or-other and something-else.
Are there simple rules that say when a comma should be used (as in the
first case) and when not (as in the second)?
The simple rule is that if the sentence is simple enough, the comma isn't needed.

/dps "thumbs rule! pinkies drool!"
s***@gmail.com
2017-04-18 22:45:01 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Peter Percival
Consider
something-or-other, and something-else
and
something-or-other and something-else.
Are there simple rules that say when a comma should be used (as in the
first case) and when not (as in the second)?
The simple rule is that if the sentence is simple enough, the comma isn't needed.
Er, that should be:

The simple rule is that if the sentence is simple enough,
the comma simply isn't needed.
Marius Hancu
2017-04-19 08:02:10 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Consider
something-or-other, and something-else
and
something-or-other and something-else.
Are there simple rules that say when a comma should be used (as in the
first case) and when not (as in the second)?
I'd rather have the full sentence.
Marius Hancu
s***@gmail.com
2017-04-19 18:00:34 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
Post by Peter Percival
Consider
something-or-other, and something-else
and
something-or-other and something-else.
Are there simple rules that say when a comma should be used (as in the
first case) and when not (as in the second)?
I'd rather have the full sentence.
What the heck is the full sentence?

In "I have red and blue marbles.", that IS the full sentence.

Or do you prefer "I have red marbles. I have blue marbles." ?

/dps
bill van
2017-04-19 18:06:07 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Marius Hancu
Post by Peter Percival
Consider
something-or-other, and something-else
and
something-or-other and something-else.
Are there simple rules that say when a comma should be used (as in the
first case) and when not (as in the second)?
I'd rather have the full sentence.
What the heck is the full sentence?
No chance of parole.
2017-04-19 20:37:36 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Marius Hancu
Post by Peter Percival
Consider
something-or-other, and something-else
and
something-or-other and something-else.
Are there simple rules that say when a comma should be used (as in the
first case) and when not (as in the second)?
I'd rather have the full sentence.
What the heck is the full sentence?
No chance of parole.
Speaking of which ... oh, this isn't the verbal thread. I beg your pardon.

2017-04-19 20:50:12 UTC
I'd like that better with a semicolon....r
Mark Brader
2017-04-19 21:44:12 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Or do you prefer "I have red marbles. I have blue marbles." ?
I'd like that better with a semicolon.
"I have red marbles. I have blue marbles. I have a semicolon"?
--
Mark Brader | "Must undefined behavior obey *all* the laws of physics,
***@vex.net | or is the restriction limited to time travel?"
Toronto | --Heather Downs
RH Draney
2017-04-20 07:24:36 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Or do you prefer "I have red marbles. I have blue marbles." ?
I'd like that better with a semicolon.
"I have red marbles. I have blue marbles. I have a semicolon"?

....r

Peter Moylan
2017-04-20 01:34:27 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
In "I have red and blue marbles.", that IS the full sentence.
Or do you prefer "I have red marbles. I have blue marbles." ?
I'd like that better with a semicolon....r
Dr Seuss didn't use semicolons.

Do you like my hat?
Richard Heathfield
2017-04-20 07:02:22 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
In "I have red and blue marbles.", that IS the full sentence.
Or do you prefer "I have red marbles. I have blue marbles." ?
I'd like that better with a semicolon....r
Dr Seuss didn't use semicolons.
Do you like my hat?
That is /so/ tempting...

===============================