Murdoch: were not now
Marius Hancu
2017-04-07 22:40:08 UTC
Hello,

~~~
[Martin Lynch-Gibbon has been told by Antonia, his wife, that she's
divorcing him for her shrink and their friend. In answer, Martin brings
Georgie, his own lover, in the conjugal home, for a visit, for the first
time, when he assumes Antonia's away.]

Georgie came in slowly. I could see in her the counterpart of my own
emotion. She stared at me, her lips parted, frowning, as if to see
whether the power of the room had given me a different face. Then she
looked very carefully around, nodding her head as she did so, seeming to
count the objects. I was absorbed in watching her, and in the spreading
throughout my whole being of the extraordinary experience of seeing her
there. I had spoken of 'breaking down the doubleness'. With what a rush
it was being broken down, and what a vista of open spaces, I felt in
those instants, were not now being opened to my astounded gaze. My
instinct in bringing Georgie here, and at once, had been a sound one:
and what I most apprehended, in the mixture of feelings that possessed
me, was the very possibility of loving Georgie more, of loving her better.

Iris Murdoch, A Severed Head
~~~

"what a vista of open spaces, . . . , were _not now_ being opened"
Why "not now" instead of perhaps "now"?

Thanks.
Marius Hancu
Jerry Friedman
2017-04-08 17:11:05 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
Hello,
~~~
[...]
I don't know, but some writers do that. Maybe there's a suggestion of
"What spaces were not being opened?" in the sense of "All spaces were
being opened."

A vista of open spaces being opened looks pretty careless. Given
Murdoch's usual care and what I presume is the irony of the sound
instinct, I wonder whether the carelessness is more irony: MLG's style
is falling apart.
Marius Hancu
2017-04-11 17:04:14 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
~~~
[...]
Indeed. The stress is on "not," not on "not now."

You may want to see
the other thread:
Murdoch: might not have done
Post by Jerry Friedman
A vista of open spaces being opened looks pretty careless. Given
Murdoch's usual care and what I presume is the irony of the sound
instinct, I wonder whether the carelessness is more irony: MLG's style
is falling apart.
I see what you mean, but
which MLG you mean here?

Thank you.
Marius Hancu
Jerry Friedman
2017-04-11 22:12:49 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Marius Hancu
~~~
[...]
Yes, I think that's the same thing.
Post by Marius Hancu
Post by Jerry Friedman
A vista of open spaces being opened looks pretty careless. Given
Murdoch's usual care and what I presume is the irony of the sound
instinct, I wonder whether the carelessness is more irony: MLG's style
is falling apart.
I see what you mean, but
which MLG you mean here?
Martin Lynch-Gibbon.
2017-04-13 06:19:50 UTC
Jerry Friedman pounded on thar keyboard to tell us
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Marius Hancu
Post by Jerry Friedman
~~~
Post by Marius Hancu
Post by Jerry Friedman
A vista of open spaces being opened looks pretty careless. Given
Murdoch's usual care and what I presume is the irony of the sound
instinct, I wonder whether the carelessness is more irony: MLG's style
is falling apart.
I see what you mean, but
which MLG you mean here?
Martin Lynch-Gibbon.
Perhaps a better reduced form would be ML-G. Just from the point of
view of retaining obviousness.

"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler
moments next day, with six or seven thousand feet of snow and stuff on
top of him?"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain.
Marius Hancu
2017-04-17 22:34:18 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
Post by Jerry Friedman
~~~
Post by Marius Hancu
Post by Jerry Friedman
A vista of open spaces being opened looks pretty careless. Given
Murdoch's usual care and what I presume is the irony of the sound
instinct, I wonder whether the carelessness is more irony: MLG's style
is falling apart.
I see what you mean, but
which MLG you mean here?
Martin Lynch-Gibbon.
Ah, indeed.

I am sure there was a lot of ironical intent in building his character: the man sharing himself with/to three women, cuckolded in turn by each:-). The whole book, I discovered, is considered by some a satire.

Thanks a lot.
--
Marius Hancu