Monks doing what they do best - making beer
2018-05-08 07:59:24 UTC
"A small band of Belgian monks are planning to start producing their own
beer again, more than 200 years after invading French troops stopped all
brewing at the abbey."

However, their plans are apparently being thwarted by a missing recipe.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/monks-of-grimbergen-on-mission-to-revive-lost-beer-6nl5j568"

The problem seems to be bookshelf related (see thread "53 linear miles
of shelving"). They are unable to find the recipe in any of their
35,000 volumes.
occam
2018-05-08 08:00:57 UTC
"A small band of Belgian monks are planning to start producing their own
beer again, more than 200 years after invading French troops stopped all
brewing at the abbey."
However, their plans are apparently being thwarted by a missing recipe.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/monks-of-grimbergen-on-mission-to-revive-lost-beer-6nl5j568"
The problem seems to be bookshelf related (see thread "53 linear miles
of shelving"). They are unable to find the recipe in any of their
35,000 volumes.
And here's a working URL

http://delano.lu/d/detail/news/belgian-monks-search-lost-beer-recipe-holds-brewery-plan/178436
Whiskers
2018-05-08 13:16:55 UTC
"A small band of Belgian monks are planning to start producing their own
beer again, more than 200 years after invading French troops stopped all
brewing at the abbey."
However, their plans are apparently being thwarted by a missing recipe.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/monks-of-grimbergen-on-mission-to-revive-lost-beer-6nl5j568"
The problem seems to be bookshelf related (see thread "53 linear miles
of shelving"). They are unable to find the recipe in any of their
35,000 volumes.
And here's a working URL
http://delano.lu/d/detail/news/belgian-monks-search-lost-beer-recipe-holds-brewery-plan/178436
Good luck to them, Could be a lot of skimming through old books in
their immediate future!

I can just imagine all those very old men peeking out of hiding 'have
they gone yet?'
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Harrison Hill
2018-05-08 14:36:28 UTC
"A small band of Belgian monks are planning to start producing their own
beer again, more than 200 years after invading French troops stopped all
brewing at the abbey."
However, their plans are apparently being thwarted by a missing recipe.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/monks-of-grimbergen-on-mission-to-revive-lost-beer-6nl5j568"
The problem seems to be bookshelf related (see thread "53 linear miles
of shelving"). They are unable to find the recipe in any of their
35,000 volumes.
And here's a working URL
http://delano.lu/d/detail/news/belgian-monks-search-lost-beer-recipe-holds-brewery-plan/178436
The "biere de l'abbaye" has a long tradition in Belgium and (it seems)
France. I don't think we have the same tradition in Britain, with one
notable exception: for some reason, the tonic wine of Buckfast Abbey, in
Devon, England is the delirium of choice for the drug-taking, alcoholic
sub-culture of Edinburgh; as documented in the film "Trainspotting".

Scotland last week brought in minimum pricing per unit of alcohol.
Buckfast Tonic Wine was already expensive, so I wonder if this will make
much difference?
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-05-08 22:55:57 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
Expensive? What gives you that idea? You can only get highly inferior
plonk for less.
Kerr-Mudd,John
2018-05-09 09:42:50 UTC
On Tue, 08 May 2018 22:55:57 GMT, Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
Gi o'er and pass the meths.
2018-05-09 09:54:32 UTC
On Tue, 8 May 2018 15:55:57 -0700 (PDT), Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
It affects all alcoholic drinks including beer and cider.
I don't know what the position is now, but a few decades ago it was said
that the cheapest way of getting drunk was by drinking cheap cider.
2018-05-09 11:04:41 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
Probably, because to help the struggling cider industry cider was
exempt from duty (or it was reduced below that on wine and beer).
2018-05-08 12:56:46 UTC
"A small band of Belgian monks are planning to start producing their own
beer again, more than 200 years after invading French troops stopped all
brewing at the abbey."
However, their plans are apparently being thwarted by a missing recipe.
Ugh, it seems that the Belgians too met their Waterloo at Waterloo:->
35,000 volumes.
J. J. Lodder
2018-05-08 19:23:45 UTC
Post by occam
The problem seems to be bookshelf related (see thread "53 linear miles
of shelving"). They are unable to find the recipe in any of their
35,000 volumes.
For a better ref:
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/07/belgian-monks-search-for-
lost-beer-recipe-holds-up-brewery-plan>

The irony is that they don't even know
whether anyone would like their medieval kind of beer,
supposing the recipe was to be found,

2018-05-13 07:14:35 UTC
Post by occam
The problem seems to be bookshelf related (see thread "53 linear miles
of shelving"). They are unable to find the recipe in any of their
35,000 volumes.
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/07/belgian-monks-search-for-
lost-beer-recipe-holds-up-brewery-plan>
The irony is that they don't even know
whether anyone would like their medieval kind of beer,
supposing the recipe was to be found,
Are you suggesting the French destroyed the monk's beer equipment
because they detested the taste of their beer?

If taste was a deciding factor, half of the 400-odd beers Belgians make
today would cease to be made. 'Variety and choice' are the key words here.