"That's alright"
2018-06-07 10:26:27 UTC
When I am writing in English, I can take some time to think.
On the streets, in Berlin, sometimes someone says "Sorry!"
to me, and I often replied, "You're welcome!", knowing
(one second later) that this is a response only possible
to "Thank you!".

Now, I have found that among all the possible answers to
"Sorry!" and "Thank you!" there is one that is possible
in /both/ cases: "That's alright!".

So now I just try to always answer, "That's alright!".
occam
2018-06-07 11:05:19 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
When I am writing in English, I can take some time to think.
On the streets, in Berlin, sometimes someone says "Sorry!"
to me, and I often replied, "You're welcome!", knowing
(one second later) that this is a response only possible
to "Thank you!".
Now, I have found that among all the possible answers to
"Sorry!" and "Thank you!" there is one that is possible
in /both/ cases: "That's alright!".
So now I just try to always answer, "That's alright!".
Here's another 2-in-1 response that would be acceptable: 'No problem!'
(or 'no worries' if you find yourself in Australia).
Peter Moylan
2018-06-10 15:58:13 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
When I am writing in English, I can take some time to think.
On the streets, in Berlin, sometimes someone says "Sorry!"
to me, and I often replied, "You're welcome!", knowing
(one second later) that this is a response only possible
to "Thank you!".
Now, I have found that among all the possible answers to
"Sorry!" and "Thank you!" there is one that is possible
in /both/ cases: "That's alright!".
So now I just try to always answer, "That's alright!".
Here's another 2-in-1 response that would be acceptable: 'No problem!'
(or 'no worries' if you find yourself in Australia).
Or, of course, "no wuckers".