Fearless Leader
2018-01-12 18:00:03 UTC
Just now PTD posted on sci.lang:

If you're too stupid to read what you make stupid comments
about, then shut your shithole mouth (as our Fearless Leader
would say).

Fearless Leader is not a compliment. But it pre-dates
Donald Trump. Where did it start? What dictator did it
originally mock?
Mack A. Damia
2018-01-12 18:04:05 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:00:03 -0800 (PST), David Kleinecke
Post by David Kleinecke
If you're too stupid to read what you make stupid comments
about, then shut your shithole mouth (as our Fearless Leader
would say).
Fearless Leader is not a compliment. But it pre-dates
Donald Trump. Where did it start? What dictator did it
originally mock?
It might be from the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.

Yes. Fearless Leader is the dictator of the fictional country
Pottsylvania, and the employer of the inept government agents Boris
Badenov and Natasha Fatale. He could always be found in his
underground hideout, "Central Control."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearless_Leader
Jerry Friedman
2018-01-12 19:10:33 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
If you're too stupid to read what you make stupid comments
about, then shut your shithole mouth (as our Fearless Leader
would say).
Fearless Leader is not a compliment. But it pre-dates
Donald Trump. Where did it start? What dictator did it
originally mock?
Well, it seems to have started in Scott's /Guy Mannering/ (1815).

"Edward of York—-I will not malign even an enemy—is a bold and fearless
leader..."

The first mocking use I see appears to be from 1950-2.

"Our fearless leader, Barry, was not with the party, for he was busy
in camp consuming his fourteenth trout for breakfast (the day's limit).
But soon we could see him prancing along at his 'arsenic-and-old-lace'
pace, that is, arsenic in the pants."

https://books.google.com/books?id=-xRVAAAAMAAJ&q=%22fearless+leader%22&dq=%22fearless+leader%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTkLHajtPYAhVCKWMKHf5FBj8Q6AEIPjAE

(which actually shows different snippets about "our fearless leader,
Barry" from the same article in /Trail and Timberline/.)
2018-01-12 19:48:24 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Fearless Leader is not a compliment. But it pre-dates
Donald Trump. Where did it start? What dictator did it
originally mock?
Well, it seems to have started in Scott's /Guy Mannering/ (1815).
"Edward of York—-I will not malign even an enemy—is a bold and fearless
leader..."
The first mocking use I see appears to be from 1950-2.
"Our fearless leader, Barry, was not with the party, for he was busy
in camp consuming his fourteenth trout for breakfast (the day's limit).
But soon we could see him prancing along at his 'arsenic-and-old-lace'
pace, that is, arsenic in the pants."
When I was working on our Regional Gathering Committee (as the tech
person, the one who helps invited presenters hook up to projectors and
whatever other audio-visual stuff they ask for), I took to calling the
committee chairman "fearsome leader"...(he was not offended; the guy ran
around the Gathering wearing a badge identifying him as
"Krampus-in-Training")....r
Adam Funk
2018-01-13 11:49:14 UTC
When I was working on our Regional Gathering Committee (as the tech
person, the one who helps invited presenters hook up to projectors and
whatever other audio-visual stuff they ask for), I took to calling the
committee chairman "fearsome leader"...(he was not offended; the guy ran
around the Gathering wearing a badge identifying him as
"Krampus-in-Training")....r
Do you only get the horns when you pass the training?
--
A heretic is someone who shares ALMOST all your beliefs.
Kill him. --- Ivan Stang
Peter T. Daniels
2018-01-12 20:38:39 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
If you're too stupid to read what you make stupid comments
about, then shut your shithole mouth (as our Fearless Leader
would say).
Fearless Leader is not a compliment. But it pre-dates
Donald Trump. Where did it start? What dictator did it
originally mock?
The unnamed one to whom Boris Badenov and Natasha owed allegiance.

(As I mentioned in the wake of her death last summer, June Foray, who voiced
Natasha, said she had been instructed to _not_ make her specifically Russian
but to use a generalized "Eastern European" accent.)

North Korea has devised similar epithets for its three Leaders, but not yet
exactly that one.
Adam Funk
2018-01-13 11:48:51 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
If you're too stupid to read what you make stupid comments
about, then shut your shithole mouth (as our Fearless Leader
would say).
Fearless Leader is not a compliment. But it pre-dates
Donald Trump. Where did it start? What dictator did it
originally mock?
The unnamed one to whom Boris Badenov and Natasha owed allegiance.
Beeg trouble for moose and sqvirrel!
Post by Peter T. Daniels
(As I mentioned in the wake of her death last summer, June Foray, who voiced
Natasha, said she had been instructed to _not_ make her specifically Russian
but to use a generalized "Eastern European" accent.)
Interesting, although I'm not sure how many of the audience would spot
the difference.
--
The human brain, weighing about three pounds, has the computing
power of nearly one billion laptops. The brain has been credited
Relativity, and Hee Haw. [Science Museum of Virginia]
Joy Beeson
2018-01-17 23:50:34 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Peter T. Daniels
(As I mentioned in the wake of her death last summer, June Foray, who voiced
Natasha, said she had been instructed to _not_ make her specifically Russian
but to use a generalized "Eastern European" accent.)
Interesting, although I'm not sure how many of the audience would spot
the difference.
Even those who did would find that subtle clue completely overwhelmed
by the name "Boris Badinov".
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Wayne Brown
2018-01-18 21:55:35 UTC
Post by Joy Beeson
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Peter T. Daniels
(As I mentioned in the wake of her death last summer, June Foray, who voiced
Natasha, said she had been instructed to _not_ make her specifically Russian
but to use a generalized "Eastern European" accent.)
Interesting, although I'm not sure how many of the audience would spot
the difference.
Even those who did would find that subtle clue completely overwhelmed
by the name "Boris Badinov".
I've wondered for years if their names were intended to bring to mind
both Mussorgsky's "Boris Godunov" and the characters Boris Drubetskoy
and Natasha Rostova from "War and Peace."
--
F. Wayne Brown <***@bellsouth.net>

ur sag9-ga ur-tur-še3 ba-an-kur9
"A dog that is played with turns into a puppy." (Sumerian proverb)
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-01-18 22:07:42 UTC
Post by Wayne Brown
Post by Joy Beeson
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Peter T. Daniels
(As I mentioned in the wake of her death last summer, June Foray, who voiced
Natasha, said she had been instructed to _not_ make her specifically Russian
but to use a generalized "Eastern European" accent.)
Interesting, although I'm not sure how many of the audience would spot
the difference.
Even those who did would find that subtle clue completely overwhelmed
by the name "Boris Badinov".
I've wondered for years if their names were intended to bring to mind
both Mussorgsky's "Boris Godunov" and the characters Boris Drubetskoy
and Natasha Rostova from "War and Peace."
Why? It takes 5 seconds to look it up on Wikipedia and have it
confirmed.
Mark Brader
2018-01-18 22:53:44 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
It takes 5 seconds to look it up on Wikipedia and have it
confirmed.
I would have thought the Wikipedia part alone took the whole 5 seconds.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "People say I'm a skeptic --
***@vex.net but I find that hard to believe."
Peter Moylan
2018-01-13 06:26:36 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
If you're too stupid to read what you make stupid comments
about, then shut your shithole mouth (as our Fearless Leader
would say).
Fearless Leader is not a compliment. But it pre-dates
Donald Trump. Where did it start? What dictator did it
originally mock?
Wasn't it originally Peerless Leader?
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-01-13 12:22:44 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
If you're too stupid to read what you make stupid comments
about, then shut your shithole mouth (as our Fearless Leader
would say).
Fearless Leader is not a compliment. But it pre-dates
Donald Trump. Where did it start? What dictator did it
originally mock?
Thanks for commenting, limey prick.