(A) are clustered in (B)
Add Reply
tonbei
2018-06-08 06:38:20 UTC
re: (A) are clustered in (B)
I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.

Stark Road, aptly named, led us toward the test facilities, which were some ten miles from
the living area on base. The Ditto diner was on the way, and we stopped long enough for coffee and
egg sandwiches. Then it was on to the test facilities, which were clustered in large, modern buildings
behind a fence topped with razor wire.
(Unnatural Exposure by P. Cornwell)

question: about "were clustered in"
I understand this phrase like the following:
Test facilities were in large, modern buidlings, and those buildings stood in clusters.
Is this right?

Additionally, I'm not sure about the usage of "on to" in "it was on to the test facilities".
I guess that it means "we then moved to the test facilities".
g***@gmail.com
2018-06-08 07:01:37 UTC
Post by tonbei
re: (A) are clustered in (B)
I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
Stark Road, aptly named, led us toward the test facilities, which were some ten miles from
the living area on base. The Ditto diner was on the way, and we stopped long enough for coffee and
egg sandwiches. Then it was on to the test facilities, which were clustered in large, modern buildings
behind a fence topped with razor wire.
(Unnatural Exposure by P. Cornwell)
question: about "were clustered in"
Test facilities were in large, modern buidlings, and those buildings stood in clusters.
Is this right?
That's more or less how I understand it. I find the sentence somewhat difficult to analyse exactly. There could be just one cluster.
Post by tonbei
Additionally, I'm not sure about the usage of "on to" in "it was on to the test facilities".
I guess that it means "we then moved to the test facilities".
Yes. 'We continued on [our journey] to the test facilities.'

...g
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-06-08 07:48:15 UTC
Post by tonbei
re: (A) are clustered in (B)
I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
Stark Road, aptly named, led us toward the test facilities, which were some ten miles from
the living area on base. The Ditto diner was on the way, and we stopped
long enough for coffee and
egg sandwiches. Then it was on to the test facilities, which were
clustered in large, modern buildings
behind a fence topped with razor wire.
(Unnatural Exposure by P. Cornwell)
question: about "were clustered in"
Test facilities were in large, modern buidlings, and those buildings stood in clusters.
Is this right?
I think it means that all the facilities were close to one another.
Post by tonbei
Additionally, I'm not sure about the usage of "on to" in "it was on to
the test facilities".
I guess that it means "we then moved to the test facilities".
"It was on to" is colloquial for "we continued to".

Also aptly named, but for the opposite reason, is La Dynamite, a place
we passed on the way to the Narbonnais a week ago. It was the place
where Alfred Nobel had his factory, and when we first saw it 30 years
ago it looked as one might expect an explosives factory to look: small,
low brick buildings placed rather far from one another. Those seem to
have gone now, replaced with houses, so I don't suppose they still make
dynamite there.
2018-06-08 10:14:37 UTC
Also aptly named, but for the opposite reason, is La Dynamite, a place
we passed on the way to the Narbonnais a week ago. It was the place
where Alfred Nobel had his factory, and when we first saw it 30 years
ago it looked as one might expect an explosives factory to look: small,
low brick buildings placed rather far from one another. Those seem to
have gone now, replaced with houses, so I don't suppose they still make
dynamite there.
Google places 'La Dynamite' in the middle of a large green field,

Wrong one. You want Ablon not St Martin de Crau.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-06-08 17:19:12 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Also aptly named, but for the opposite reason, is La Dynamite, a place
we passed on the way to the Narbonnais a week ago. It was the place
where Alfred Nobel had his factory, and when we first saw it 30 years
ago it looked as one might expect an explosives factory to look: small,
low brick buildings placed rather far from one another. Those seem to
have gone now, replaced with houses, so I don't suppose they still make
dynamite there.
Google places 'La Dynamite' in the middle of a large green field,
Wrong one. You want Ablon not St Martin de Crau.
St Martin de Crau is the one we passed.
Jack
2018-06-08 22:52:38 UTC
Post by tonbei
re: (A) are clustered in (B)
I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
Stark Road, aptly named, led us toward the test facilities, which were some ten miles from
the living area on base. The Ditto diner was on the way, and we stopped long enough for coffee and
egg sandwiches. Then it was on to the test facilities, which were clustered in large, modern buildings
behind a fence topped with razor wire.
(Unnatural Exposure by P. Cornwell)
question: about "were clustered in"
Test facilities were in large, modern buidlings, and those buildings stood in clusters.
Is this right?
I don't get the impression that the author was talking of clusters of
buildings. Rather, the test facilities were clustered. They were in
buildings, which may have been in a single cluster to make the whole
easier to surround by the fence.
--
John