white American killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo
Hen Hanna
2018-07-10 18:58:48 UTC
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5909315/Kentucky-hunter-posts-photos-black-giraffe-killed-South-Africa.html

Giraffe http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/02/14/4DD7EF0E00000578-5909315-image-m-6_1530538765532.jpg

Kangaroo https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfR1wzFUwAEP2h_.jpg

Killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun -- is this all completely legal?

These hunters take souvenir photos and then leave the corpses? -- If so, poachers seem more ethical in comparison.

Do these hunters object to Korean/Chinese eating of dogs, cats ?
Hen Hanna
2018-07-11 05:56:18 UTC
On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 11:58:54 AM UTC-7, Hen Hanna wrote:
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5909315/Kentucky-hunter-posts-photos-black-giraffe-killed-South-Africa.html
>
> Giraffe http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/02/14/4DD7EF0E00000578-5909315-image-m-6_1530538765532.jpg
>
> Kangaroo https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfR1wzFUwAEP2h_.jpg
>

> Killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun -- is this all completely legal?
>

> These hunters take souvenir photos and then leave the corpses? -- If so, poachers seem more ethical in comparison.
>

> Do these hunters object to Korean/Chinese eating of dogs, cats ?

1. Compared to killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun, any objections to fox-hunting must be microscopic.

2. If these hunters eat much of what they kill, they'd be much more ethical and "respectful of life".
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-11 12:07:01 UTC
On 2018-07-10 20:58:48 +0200, Hen Hanna <***@gmail.com> said:

> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5909315/Kentucky-hunter-posts-photos-black-giraffe-killed-South-Africa.html

Giraffe

> http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/02/14/4DD7EF0E00000578-5909315-image-m-6_1530538765532.jpg

Kangaroo

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfR1wzFUwAEP2h_.jpg
>

> Killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun -- is this all completely legal?

And your point about English usage is ...?

(Don't bother to answer: if there is a point, you'll hide it as usual
behind weird formatting, horrible abbreviations and strange
punctuation, so no one will want to read it.)

Hen Hanna
2018-07-11 21:15:50 UTC
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 5:06:01 AM UTC-7, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2018-07-10 20:58:48 +0200, Hen Hanna <> said:
>
> > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5909315/Kentucky-hunter-posts-photos-black-giraffe-killed-South-Africa.html
>
> Giraffe
> >
> > http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/02/14/4DD7EF0E00000578-5909315-image-m-6_1530538765532.jpg
>
> Kangaroo
> >
> > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfR1wzFUwAEP2h_.jpg
> >

> > Killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun -- is this all completely legal?
>
> And your point about English usage is ...?
>
> (Don't bother to answer: if there is a point, you'll hide it as usual
> behind weird formatting, horrible abbreviations and strange
> punctuation, so no one will want to read it.)
>

> > These hunters take souvenir photos and then leave the corpses? -- If
> > so, poachers seem more ethical in comparison.
> >

> > Do these hunters object to Korean/Chinese eating of dogs, cats ?
>

> And your point about English usage is ...?

That a mind obsessed with anomalies in formatting, punctuation... can see phantom anomalies?

1. Compared to killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun, any objections to fox-hunting must be minor, microscopic.

2. If these hunters eat much of what they kill, they'd be much more ethical and "respectful of life".

HH
CDB
2018-07-12 01:52:48 UTC
On 7/11/2018 5:15 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:
> Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> Hen Hanna <> said:

>>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5909315/Kentucky-hunter-posts-photos-black-giraffe-killed-South-Africa.html

Giraffe

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/02/14/4DD7EF0E00000578-5909315-image-m-6_1530538765532.jpg

Kangaroo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfR1wzFUwAEP2h_.jpg

>>> Killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun -- is this all
>>> completely legal?

>> And your point about English usage is ...?

A question all too often and too clearly justified around here.
Advanced math, anyone? Not that I'm complaining. Wanna hear something
about dogs?

>> (Don't bother to answer: if there is a point, you'll hide it as
>> usual behind weird formatting, horrible abbreviations and strange
>> punctuation, so no one will want to read it.)

>>> These hunters take souvenir photos and then leave the corpses? --
>>> If so, poachers seem more ethical in comparison.

>>> Do these hunters object to Korean/Chinese eating of dogs, cats ?

That is worse. They are captives, and dogs are our shirt-tail kin.

>> And your point about English usage is ...?

> That a mind obsessed with anomalies in formatting, punctuation... can
> see phantom anomalies?

> 1. Compared to killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun,

I think there may be a good deal of that for some people. I usually
avoid physical violence because it never makes me feel good. I spend
hours of guilty self-doubt afterwards, wondering why I couldn't have
handled the problem better.

One time, though, a friend showed up at my apartment, drunk, I supposed,
and began a long confused tirade about some grievance he thought he had.
I put up with it for a while, and then told him to go home and sleep.
After that, he stood over me and shook his fist while he ranted. In the
end, I took him by the arm and began to escort him out, and he thought
we were going to wrestle. He was right, of course, but he didn't fight
fair (drunk) and soon began trying to gouge my eyes out. That was
enough, so I did something short, sharp, and painful to him and he left.

What I found interesting was that, that time, I felt great. A wave of
peace and contentment spread through my body and persisted for hours.
Maybe hunters get something like that; it may justify the killing to
them, although it doesn't to me.

I should add that my friend, an excellent fellow when sober, apologised
afterwards and could no longer remember his grievance. Luckily, he's
not a big drinker.

> any objections to fox-hunting must be minor, microscopic.

Nonsense. Shooting a big animal with a powerful weapon is quite
merciful if properly done; the properly-hunted fox is chased until it is
exhausted, and then torn to pieces while alive.

> 2. If these hunters eat much of what they kill, they'd be much more
> ethical and "respectful of life".

I have a feeling the meat doesn't go to waste. But it's a thought.
Maybe careless drivers who kill should be forced to eat their victims.

And how about you, hen, or may I call you Harrison? A carnivore, are
you? How respectful of life do you become when some bored and underpaid
manual labourer does your killing for you?
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-12 05:59:27 UTC
On 2018-07-12 01:52:48 +0000, CDB said:

> On 7/11/2018 5:15 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:

> Giraffe
>
> http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/02/14/4DD7EF0E00000578-5909315-image-m-6_1530538765532.jpg
>

> Kangaroo
>

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfR1wzFUwAEP2h_.jpg

>>> And your point about English usage is ...?
>
> A question all too often and too clearly justified around here.
> Advanced math, anyone? Not that I'm complaining. Wanna hear something
> about dogs?
>
>>> (Don't bother to answer: if there is a point, you'll hide it as usual
>>> behind weird formatting, horrible abbreviations and strange
>>> punctuation, so no one will want to read it.)

> That is worse. They are captives, and dogs are our shirt-tail kin.
>
>>> And your point about English usage is ...?
>
>> That a mind obsessed with anomalies in formatting, punctuation... can
>> see phantom anomalies?
>
>> 1. Compared to killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun,
>
> I think there may be a good deal of that for some people. I usually
> avoid physical violence because it never makes me feel good. I spend
> hours of guilty self-doubt afterwards, wondering why I couldn't have
> handled the problem better.
>
> One time, though, a friend showed up at my apartment, drunk, I supposed,
> and began a long confused tirade about some grievance he thought he had.
> I put up with it for a while, and then told him to go home and sleep.
> After that, he stood over me and shook his fist while he ranted. In the
> end, I took him by the arm and began to escort him out, and he thought
> we were going to wrestle. He was right, of course, but he didn't fight
> fair (drunk) and soon began trying to gouge my eyes out. That was
> enough, so I did something short, sharp, and painful to him and he left.
>
> What I found interesting was that, that time, I felt great. A wave of
> peace and contentment spread through my body and persisted for hours.
> Maybe hunters get something like that; it may justify the killing to
> them, although it doesn't to me.
>
> I should add that my friend, an excellent fellow when sober, apologised
> afterwards and could no longer remember his grievance. Luckily, he's
> not a big drinker.
>
>> any objections to fox-hunting must be minor, microscopic.
>
> Nonsense. Shooting a big animal with a powerful weapon is quite
> merciful if properly done; the properly-hunted fox is chased until it is
> exhausted, and then torn to pieces while alive.
>
>> 2. If these hunters eat much of what they kill, they'd be much more
>> ethical and "respectful of life".
>
> I have a feeling the meat doesn't go to waste. But it's a thought.
> Maybe careless drivers who kill should be forced to eat their victims.
>
> And how about you, hen, or may I call you Harrison? A carnivore, are
> you? How respectful of life do you become when some bored and underpaid
> manual labourer does your killing for you?

Something I also wonder about Hen is the first word in the subject
line: "white". Would [s]he think it OK if the killing for fun were done
by people who were not white Americans?

2018-07-12 10:58:40 UTC
On 7/12/2018 1:59 AM, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> CDB said:

[meat and the tragedy of life]

>> And how about you, hen, or may I call you Harrison? A carnivore,
>> are you? How respectful of life do you become when some bored and
>> underpaid manual labourer does your killing for you?

> Something I also wonder about Hen is the first word in the subject
> line: "white". Would [s]he think it OK if the killing for fun were
> done by people who were not white Americans?

Something go watch for. I suspect the phrasing may be from a headline,
though.
Hen Hanna
2018-07-12 18:31:43 UTC
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 6:52:52 PM UTC-7, CDB wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 5:15 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:

> Giraffe
>
> http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/02/14/4DD7EF0E00000578-5909315-image-m-6_1530538765532.jpg
>
> Kangaroo
>

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfR1wzFUwAEP2h_.jpg

> >> And your point about English usage is ...?
>
> A question all too often and too clearly justified around here.
> Advanced math, anyone? Not that I'm complaining. Wanna hear something
> about dogs?
>
> >> (Don't bother to answer: if there is a point, you'll hide it as
> >> usual behind weird formatting, horrible abbreviations and strange
> >> punctuation, so no one will want to read it.)

> That is worse. They are captives, and dogs are our shirt-tail kin.
>
> >> And your point about English usage is ...?
>
> > That a mind obsessed with anomalies in formatting, punctuation... can
> > see phantom anomalies?
>
> > 1. Compared to killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun,
>
> I think there may be a good deal of that for some people. I usually
> avoid physical violence because it never makes me feel good. I spend
> hours of guilty self-doubt afterwards, wondering why I couldn't have
> handled the problem better.
>

> One time, though, a friend showed up at my apartment, drunk, I supposed,

> > any objections to fox-hunting must be minor, microscopic.
>
> Nonsense. Shooting a big animal with a powerful weapon is quite
> merciful if properly done; the properly-hunted fox is chased until it is
> exhausted, and then torn to pieces while alive.

Really? Do you kill flies and mosquitos mercifully? If so, how ?

For me, size does matter.

Giraffe http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/02/14/4DD7EF0E00000578-5909315-image-m-6_1530538765532.jpg

This photo is so shocking partly because of the Giraffe's size, and the size of its heart. HH
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-12 05:23:08 UTC
On 2018-07-11 21:15:50 +0000, Hen Hanna said:

> On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 5:06:01 AM UTC-7, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> On 2018-07-10 20:58:48 +0200, Hen Hanna <> said:
>>
>>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5909315/Kentucky-hunter-posts-photos-black-giraffe-killed-South-Africa.html
>>>

>> Giraffe
>>>
>>> http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/02/14/4DD7EF0E00000578-5909315-image-m-6_1530538765532.jpg
>>>

>> Kangaroo
>>>
>>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfR1wzFUwAEP2h_.jpg
>>>

>>> Killing of Giraffe, Kangaroo (etc.) for fun -- is this all completely legal?
>>
>> And your point about English usage is ...?
>>
>> (Don't bother to answer: if there is a point, you'll hide it as usual
>> behind weird formatting, horrible abbreviations and strange
>> punctuation, so no one will want to read it.)
>>

>>> These hunters take souvenir photos and then leave the corpses? -- If
>>> so, poachers seem more ethical in comparison.
>>>

>>> Do these hunters object to Korean/Chinese eating of dogs, cats ?
>>

>> And your point about English usage is ...?
>>

> That a mind obsessed with anomalies in formatting, punctuation... can
> see phantom anomalies?

OK, I suppose that's as good an answer as I expected: you had NO point
to make about English usage.

Tak To
2018-07-15 19:02:30 UTC
On 7/11/2018 5:15 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:
> [...]
> 2. If these hunters eat much of what they kill, they'd be much more ethical and "respectful of life".

I am somewhat bothered by the common practice among hunters
to eat only the breasts of the birds they kill and throw away
everything else. There is even a special tools for
"breasting" a bird called a "bird hitch"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POFWijMl2wU

It's brutally efficient.

--
Tak
Tak To ***@alum.mit.eduxx
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr
Hen Hanna
2018-07-16 14:57:53 UTC
On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 12:02:35 PM UTC-7, Tak To wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 5:15 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:
> > [...]
> > 2. If these hunters eat much of what they kill, they'd be much more ethical and "respectful of life".
>
> I am somewhat bothered by the common practice among hunters
> to eat only the breasts of the birds they kill and throw away
> everything else. There is even a special tools for
> "breasting" a bird called a "bird hitch"
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POFWijMl2wU
>
> It's brutally efficient.

What do (white American) hunters do with the ducks and geese they "catch" ?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ITtvyl3t4MQ/maxresdefault.jpg

In this photo, the pile of dead mallard ducks seems 95% male -- why is that?

HH