but yet still
2018-06-12 03:39:49 UTC
1) He was hurt but yet standing.
2) He was hurt but yet still standing.

I heard someone use 'but yet'. I hadn't heard it before. I think it
simply means 'but'. But then again, it could mean 'but still'.

What does '1' mean?
What does 'yet' mean in '2'?

Are the sentences grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?

Gratefully,
Navi
Jack
2018-06-12 03:50:18 UTC
1) He was hurt but yet standing.
2) He was hurt but yet still standing.
I heard someone use 'but yet'. I hadn't heard it before. I think it
simply means 'but'. But then again, it could mean 'but still'.
What does '1' mean?
What does 'yet' mean in '2'?
Are the sentences grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?
'But' and 'yet' do the same thing. Either can be dropped. I wouldn't
use them together.
John
Harrison Hill
Yes and yes, and you have heard it in: "So near, but yet so far".
Harrison Hill
2018-06-12 08:05:10 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) He was hurt but yet standing.
2) He was hurt but yet still standing.
I heard someone use 'but yet'. I hadn't heard it before. I think it
simply means 'but'. But then again, it could mean 'but still'.
What does '1' mean?
What does 'yet' mean in '2'?
Are the sentences grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?
Gratefully,
Navi
Yes and yes, and you have heard it in: "So near, but yet so far".
Or "So very near, but yet still so far".