Murdoch: it has been
Marius Hancu
2017-04-17 14:31:36 UTC
Hello,

~~~
[Martin Lynch-Gibbon is conflicted between lovers.]

The situation implied, therefore, or perhaps I should say however, a
two-way jealousy: yet it has been a long time before I have become aware
of this implication.

Iris Murdoch, A Severed Head
~~~

Is "was" also grammatically correct here, instead of "it has been"?

Thanks.
Marius Hancu
Peter T. Daniels
2017-04-17 14:36:10 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
~~~
[Martin Lynch-Gibbon is conflicted between lovers.]
The situation implied, therefore, or perhaps I should say however, a
two-way jealousy: yet it has been a long time before I have become aware
of this implication.
Iris Murdoch, A Severed Head
~~~
Is "was" also grammatically correct here, instead of "it has been"?
Not if she wants to keep the "have become," but why she has done it that way is
not apparent from the snippet.
CDB
2017-04-17 18:54:00 UTC
~~~ [Martin Lynch-Gibbon is conflicted between lovers.]
The situation implied, therefore, or perhaps I should say however, a
two-way jealousy: yet it has been a long time before I have become
aware of this implication.
Iris Murdoch, A Severed Head ~~~
Is "was" also grammatically correct here, instead of "it has been"?
It would change the implication that the speaker is recalling the past
in present time; perhaps he only gained that insight while he was
telling his story. (In making that change, you would also change "have
become" to "became".)
Marius Hancu
2017-04-17 22:43:06 UTC
~~~ [Martin Lynch-Gibbon is conflicted between lovers.]
The situation implied, therefore, or perhaps I should say however, a
two-way jealousy: yet it has been a long time before I have become
aware of this implication.
Iris Murdoch, A Severed Head ~~~
Is "was" also grammatically correct here, instead of "it has been"?
It would change the implication that the speaker is recalling the past
in present time; perhaps he only gained that insight while he was
telling his story. (In making that change, you would also change "have
become" to "became".)
My question was motivated to some extent by finding that at Google Books:

"it has been a long time before"
0

"it was a long time before"
Many

Also, I wasn't convinced the verbs should be coupled in tense.

Thank you.
--
Marius Hancu