Hard News
2017-07-20 15:07:46 UTC
"Hard news" is a term that means serious news concerning politics,
foreign affairs, and important events. Human interest stories, gossip
about figures in the entertainment world, and other fluff pieces are
not hard news.

In the US, hard news is often about one of the raging controversies
created by our President or one of his family members.

In Canada, hard news is that Canada's governor general lightly touched
the Queen's elbow to ensure that she didn't slip on the steps at
London's Canada House during a visit. Compounding this grievous
breach of protocol, he did the same thing twice...once when she
arrived and once when she left.

In the UK, hard news is that "Kate" wore an appropriate dress when
visiting Stutthof concentration camp in Poland. Not that anyone
expected her to wear anything inappropriate, but the media wanted
everyone to know that she was attired both fashionably and
appropriately.

It must be nice to live in a country where political figures limit
their grabbing to the elbows of elderly ladies or where reporters have
nothing to distract them from fashion observations.
the Omrud
2017-07-20 15:30:12 UTC
In the UK, hard news is that "Kate" wore an appropriate dress when
visiting Stutthof concentration camp in Poland. Not that anyone
expected her to wear anything inappropriate, but the media wanted
everyone to know that she was attired both fashionably and
appropriately.
Sadly, not. I hadn't heard or read this "news". I think you must have
been reading the right-wing tabloids. I have no idea what they publish
as news.
Post by Tony Cooper
It must be nice to live in a country where political figures limit
their grabbing to the elbows of elderly ladies or where reporters have
nothing to distract them from fashion observations.
Sadly, again, we have megatons of hard news, all of it relating to the
incompetence of the government in their negotiations with the EU.
David
Tony Cooper
2017-07-20 16:14:36 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Tony Cooper
In the UK, hard news is that "Kate" wore an appropriate dress when
visiting Stutthof concentration camp in Poland. Not that anyone
expected her to wear anything inappropriate, but the media wanted
everyone to know that she was attired both fashionably and
appropriately.
Sadly, not. I hadn't heard or read this "news". I think you must have
been reading the right-wing tabloids. I have no idea what they publish
as news.
I really don't know what British tabloids are left, right, or center.
I don't really have a grasp of what a Brit means when he speaks of the
left, right, or center. You're "right" may not be my "right" any more
than your Conservatives are the same as our conservatives.

I don't actually read any British publication. I read an online news
feed that links to articles in various categories.

Frankly, I don't always notice the source publication of an article.
"Kate" seems to get favorable press across-the-board, and seems to
deserve favorable press.

We are less kind to Ivanka. Articles about the Duchess refer to what
she wears and who designed it. Articles about Ivanka refer to her
shoes being made in Chinese sweat shops and that her feet are under
the table at a meeting where her father's feet should be under the
table.

The press here is warming to Melania, though. Fashion observations,
certainly, but she's getting credit in the press for her First Lady
activities.
Post by the Omrud
Post by Tony Cooper
It must be nice to live in a country where political figures limit
their grabbing to the elbows of elderly ladies or where reporters have
nothing to distract them from fashion observations.
Sadly, again, we have megatons of hard news, all of it relating to the
incompetence of the government in their negotiations with the EU.
Your irony meter is broken again. Get a little man in to adjust it.
the Omrud
2017-07-20 16:25:28 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Tony Cooper
It must be nice to live in a country where political figures limit
their grabbing to the elbows of elderly ladies or where reporters have
nothing to distract them from fashion observations.
Sadly, again, we have megatons of hard news, all of it relating to the
incompetence of the government in their negotiations with the EU.
Your irony meter is broken again. Get a little man in to adjust it.
My sense of humour is missing when discussing current UK politics.
There's nothing funny about it. In less than four years, you can get
rid of the idiot currently in the White House. In four years, we will
barely know how aful it's going to be for the next 40 years, and we will
have no way to reverse the damage.

Sorry.

As it happens, I'm off to the Big Old US of A for eight weeks, but about
as far from you as one can get, short of going to Hawaii. With any
luck, I will not be exposed to much UK news. I may be exposed to bears,
but they have understandable desires.
David
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-07-20 16:50:09 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by the Omrud
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]
However, you will be reminded of the UK by the State Flag of Hawaii.
the Omrud
2017-07-20 18:03:06 UTC
Post by the Omrud
As it happens, I'm off to the Big Old US of A for eight weeks, but about
as far from you as one can get, short of going to Hawaii. With any
luck, I will not be exposed to much UK news. I may be exposed to bears,
but they have understandable desires.
However, you will be reminded of the UK by the State Flag of Hawaii.
Ah, no, it's Hawaii I'm not getting to. I figured that Alaska is far
enough away from Florida.
David
Tony Cooper
2017-07-20 20:04:41 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by the Omrud
As it happens, I'm off to the Big Old US of A for eight weeks, but about
as far from you as one can get, short of going to Hawaii. With any
luck, I will not be exposed to much UK news. I may be exposed to bears,
but they have understandable desires.
However, you will be reminded of the UK by the State Flag of Hawaii.
Ah, no, it's Hawaii I'm not getting to. I figured that Alaska is far
enough away from Florida.
I am trying not to take offense at that on the basis that the
objective is to be as far away from Florida as possible, and not me in
particular.

I can only guess why you feel it is necessary to be far removed from
Florida. Bears are a problem in this area, but they seem to be more
interested in raiding trash cans* than in attacking humans. There
have been some attacks on humans by bears, but - so far - no one has
been able to train them to attack state legislators so it's still
considered to be a bad thing.

We are very hospitable to visiting Brits in Florida. We take care to
speak slowly and loudly in case y'all have trouble understanding
English. You are not obligated to eat grits even if the waitress
inadvertently includes them with your breakfast.

The only caveats to visiting Florida are that tipping - no matter how
odious you consider the practice - is both expected and required
unless you can successfully slip out a back door of the restaurant and
wear protective gear, and that there are no warning signs about the
effect of the Florida sun on British skin that has had only passing
acquaintance with sun.

*trash cans = dustbins that are not inside the house
the Omrud
2017-07-20 21:49:51 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by the Omrud
As it happens, I'm off to the Big Old US of A for eight weeks, but about
as far from you as one can get, short of going to Hawaii. With any
luck, I will not be exposed to much UK news. I may be exposed to bears,
but they have understandable desires.
However, you will be reminded of the UK by the State Flag of Hawaii.
Ah, no, it's Hawaii I'm not getting to. I figured that Alaska is far
enough away from Florida.
I am trying not to take offense at that on the basis that the
objective is to be as far away from Florida as possible, and not me in
particular.
Right. You see, I've been to Florida. Several times.
Post by Tony Cooper
I can only guess why you feel it is necessary to be far removed from
Florida. Bears are a problem in this area, but they seem to be more
interested in raiding trash cans* than in attacking humans. There
have been some attacks on humans by bears, but - so far - no one has
been able to train them to attack state legislators so it's still
considered to be a bad thing.
We are very hospitable to visiting Brits in Florida. We take care to
speak slowly and loudly in case y'all have trouble understanding
English. You are not obligated to eat grits even if the waitress
inadvertently includes them with your breakfast.
You've perhaps forgotten that I'm functionally bilingual, having spent
getting on for six months living and working with US teenagers and
children in the late 70s. I don't have the accent, it's true, but I can
decode most of the language.
Post by Tony Cooper
The only caveats to visiting Florida are that tipping - no matter how
odious you consider the practice - is both expected and required
unless you can successfully slip out a back door of the restaurant and
wear protective gear, and that there are no warning signs about the
effect of the Florida sun on British skin that has had only passing
acquaintance with sun.
Yes, that is rather frightening. We've been acclimatising for the
Alaskan summer by spending a month in southern France.
Post by Tony Cooper
*trash cans = dustbins that are not inside the house
=BrE rubbish bins, although these are usually smaller than dustbins. We
know that the southern states like everthing to be bigger.
David
Peter T. Daniels
2017-07-20 19:28:38 UTC
Post by the Omrud
As it happens, I'm off to the Big Old US of A for eight weeks, but about
as far from you as one can get, short of going to Hawaii. With any
luck, I will not be exposed to much UK news. I may be exposed to bears,
but they have understandable desires.
If you encounter a b'ar, don't turn and run away; that will prompt them to chase
and eat you.

Though if you get between a mama and her cubs, there's not much for you; but
this is the wrong time of year for that to happen.
the Omrud
2017-07-20 21:50:27 UTC
Post by the Omrud
As it happens, I'm off to the Big Old US of A for eight weeks, but about
as far from you as one can get, short of going to Hawaii. With any
luck, I will not be exposed to much UK news. I may be exposed to bears,
but they have understandable desires.
If you encounter a b'ar, don't turn and run away; that will prompt them to chase
and eat you.
I'm planning to run faster than Wife.
David
Peter T. Daniels
2017-07-21 03:16:23 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by the Omrud
As it happens, I'm off to the Big Old US of A for eight weeks, but about
as far from you as one can get, short of going to Hawaii. With any
luck, I will not be exposed to much UK news. I may be exposed to bears,
but they have understandable desires.
If you encounter a b'ar, don't turn and run away; that will prompt them to chase
and eat you.
I'm planning to run faster than Wife.
I chose not to add that bit of advice* ... but that's not very gallant!

*"I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you."
Harrison Hill
2017-07-20 19:50:24 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by the Omrud
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]
It is simple. If the EU want a deal they will present it to
us, and we can accept it or not accept it. If they don't,
there will be no deal.

Simples!
Rich Ulrich
2017-07-20 16:53:21 UTC
On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 12:14:36 -0400, Tony Cooper
Post by Tony Cooper
The press here is warming to Melania, though. Fashion observations,
certainly, but she's getting credit in the press for her First Lady
activities.
Well, her announced FLOTUS hobby of concern about "internet bullying"
received a few comments on unintended irony after she defended DJT's.
Rich Ulrich
David Kleinecke
2017-07-20 18:02:31 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
The press here is warming to Melania, though. Fashion observations,
certainly, but she's getting credit in the press for her First Lady
activities.
Well, her announced FLOTUS hobby of concern about "internet bullying"
received a few comments on unintended irony after she defended DJT's.
The latest Trump scandal is that Donald seems to have
confused healthcare insurance with life insurance and
believed all those late night TV ads for cheap life
insurance policies.

I find this hard to imagine but then again the man may
never have seen a doctor's bill in his life.
Peter Moylan
2017-07-21 02:15:37 UTC
"Hard news" is a term that means serious news concerning politics,
foreign affairs, and important events. Human interest stories, gossip
about figures in the entertainment world, and other fluff pieces are
not hard news.
In the US, hard news is often about one of the raging controversies
created by our President or one of his family members.
In Canada, hard news is that Canada's governor general lightly touched
the Queen's elbow to ensure that she didn't slip on the steps at
London's Canada House during a visit. Compounding this grievous
breach of protocol, he did the same thing twice...once when she
arrived and once when she left.
A former Australian Prime Minister also created a scandal when he
touched the Queen's arm. At least, it was a scandal in the gutter press.

Some of our current "hard news" is about two Senators who have had to
resign after discovering that, without knowing it, they had dual
citizenship. One was born in New Zealand but came to Australia when he
was three years old. The other was born while her Australian parents
were visiting Canada. The Murdoch press is having a field day over the
fact that they're both members of the Green party, and is doing complex
calculations over how much money they'll have to pay back in several
years of senatorial salary, travel allowances, electoral offices, etc.

Australian law does not allow parliamentarians to hold dual citizenship.
We're worried about divided loyalties if we should happen to be at war
with New Zealand or Canada.
Jack Campin
2017-07-21 09:19:57 UTC
Some of our current "hard news" is about two Senators who have had to
resign after discovering that, without knowing it, they had dual
citizenship. One was born in New Zealand but came to Australia when he
was three years old. The other was born while her Australian parents
were visiting Canada. The Murdoch press is having a field day over the
fact that they're both members of the Green party, and is doing complex
calculations over how much money they'll have to pay back in several
years of senatorial salary, travel allowances, electoral offices, etc.
What nationality is Murdoch, again?
Post by Peter Moylan
Australian law does not allow parliamentarians to hold dual citizenship.
We're worried about divided loyalties if we should happen to be at war
with New Zealand or Canada.
Did Joh Bjelke-Petersen ever give up his NZ citizenship? (I doubt
many Kiwis were heartbroken to have lost him).

mobile 07895 860 060 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin
Peter T. Daniels
2017-07-21 11:47:54 UTC
Post by Jack Campin
Post by Peter Moylan
Some of our current "hard news" is about two Senators who have had to
resign after discovering that, without knowing it, they had dual
citizenship. One was born in New Zealand but came to Australia when he
was three years old. The other was born while her Australian parents
were visiting Canada. The Murdoch press is having a field day over the
fact that they're both members of the Green party, and is doing complex
calculations over how much money they'll have to pay back in several
years of senatorial salary, travel allowances, electoral offices, etc.
What nationality is Murdoch, again?
I know what his _citizenship_ is ...
Post by Jack Campin
Post by Peter Moylan
Australian law does not allow parliamentarians to hold dual citizenship.
We're worried about divided loyalties if we should happen to be at war
with New Zealand or Canada.
Did Joh Bjelke-Petersen ever give up his NZ citizenship? (I doubt
many Kiwis were heartbroken to have lost him).
Loathsome Texas senator Ted Cruz was born in Canada. Most commentators believe
that that disqualified him from being president, but he made a big show of
"renouncing" his Canadian (dual) citizenship during the 2016 presidential campaign. As if that could change his birthplace.

(On the loathsomeness of Ted Cruz, see Senator Al Franken's new book, ca. p. 300ff.)
(Al Franken used to be a stand-up comedian and comedy writer.)

Former presidential candidate George Romney (father of Mitt Romney) was born in
Arizona Territory, and former presidential candidate John McCain -- who was
just discovered to have an aggressive brain tumor; tell us _that_ isn't God's
way of thwarting Mitch McConnell -- was born in Canal Zone, and Congress felt
the need to pass a "special bill" allowing him to be president, "just in case.")
Lewis
2017-07-21 12:59:24 UTC
Post by Jack Campin
Post by Peter Moylan
Some of our current "hard news" is about two Senators who have had to
resign after discovering that, without knowing it, they had dual
citizenship. One was born in New Zealand but came to Australia when he
was three years old. The other was born while her Australian parents
were visiting Canada. The Murdoch press is having a field day over the
fact that they're both members of the Green party, and is doing complex
calculations over how much money they'll have to pay back in several
years of senatorial salary, travel allowances, electoral offices, etc.
What nationality is Murdoch, again?
RichWhitGuyistan.

(He's been an American citizen for 2 or 3 decades)
--
"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time
reading it." - Moses Hadas
Adam Funk
2017-07-21 14:28:31 UTC
Some of our current "hard news" is about two Senators who have had to
resign after discovering that, without knowing it, they had dual
citizenship. One was born in New Zealand but came to Australia when he
was three years old. The other was born while her Australian parents
were visiting Canada. The Murdoch press is having a field day over the
fact that they're both members of the Green party, and is doing complex
calculations over how much money they'll have to pay back in several
years of senatorial salary, travel allowances, electoral offices, etc.
Australian law does not allow parliamentarians to hold dual citizenship.
We're worried about divided loyalties if we should happen to be at war
with New Zealand or Canada.
Yes, a common problem!
--
Disagreeing with Donald Rumsfeld about bombing anybody who gets in our
way is not a crime in this country. It is a wise and honorable idea
--- Hunter S Thompson
Peter T. Daniels
2017-07-21 15:56:19 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Peter Moylan
Some of our current "hard news" is about two Senators who have had to
resign after discovering that, without knowing it, they had dual
citizenship. One was born in New Zealand but came to Australia when he
was three years old. The other was born while her Australian parents
were visiting Canada. The Murdoch press is having a field day over the
fact that they're both members of the Green party, and is doing complex
calculations over how much money they'll have to pay back in several
years of senatorial salary, travel allowances, electoral offices, etc.
Australian law does not allow parliamentarians to hold dual citizenship.
We're worried about divided loyalties if we should happen to be at war
with New Zealand or Canada.
Yes, a common problem!
They're always telling us how warlike the Maaori are.