it's a high level meeting among leaders — why don't they just call it That
Add Reply
b***@gmail.com
2018-06-12 08:43:15 UTC
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a high level meeting of leaders —— what's with everything being a summit? Give it a rest already.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-06-12 11:11:58 UTC
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a high level meeting of leaders — — what's with everything being a summit? Give it a rest already.
Er .. because it's a summit and has been since at least 1950, not least
because it's considerably more efficient for news reporting than "a high
level meeting of leaders". Pretty much the same reason that we call it
cheese and not "coagulated curds of milk fat".
B***@37.com
lol ... i knew that was coming but i wanted to hear it anyway
b***@gmail.com
Like the word summit, Mergers & Acquisitions is another shorthand term that should really be elongated to include "companies, people, property, and assets that are expanded, consolidated, exhausted, and then smooshed back together again under a new name so they can't find you but does SOS."
Jerry Friedman
Fat and protein, with the former the greater proportion by weight.
Jerry Friedman
2018-06-13 03:44:07 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a high level meeting of leaders — — what's with everything being a summit? Give it a rest already.
Er .. because it's a summit and has been since at least 1950, not least
because it's considerably more efficient for news reporting than "a high
level meeting of leaders". Pretty much the same reason that we call it
cheese and not "coagulated curds of milk fat".
(Milk protein.)
Fat and protein, with the former the greater proportion by weight.
For whole-milk and extra-cream cheeses, but not for part-skim or
skim-milk ones. The protein is what coagulates and makes curds, as in
your periphrasis, so you can make cheese without fat but not without
protein.
2018-06-13 06:46:24 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a
high level meeting of leaders — — what's with everything being a
summit? Give it a rest already.
Er .. because it's a summit and has been since at least 1950, not least
because it's considerably more efficient for news reporting than "a high
level meeting of leaders". Pretty much the same reason that we call it
cheese and not "coagulated curds of milk fat".
(Milk protein.)
Fat and protein, with the former the greater proportion by weight.
Maybe, but irrelevant. It's the protein that coagulates.
2018-06-12 22:13:13 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a high level meeting of leaders — — what's with everything being a summit? Give it a rest already.
Er .. because it's a summit and has been since at least 1950, not least
because it's considerably more efficient for news reporting than "a high
level meeting of leaders". Pretty much the same reason that we call it
cheese and not "coagulated curds of milk fat".
Is it a summit because it's a high level meeting? 'Summit' means 'peak';
a mountain has nothing higher than its 'peak'.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
A cap does!
Jerry Friedman
2018-06-13 03:41:01 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a high level meeting of leaders — — what's with everything being a summit? Give it a rest already.
Er .. because it's a summit and has been since at least 1950, not least
because it's considerably more efficient for news reporting than "a high
level meeting of leaders". Pretty much the same reason that we call it
cheese and not "coagulated curds of milk fat".
Is it a summit because it's a high level meeting? 'Summit' means 'peak';
a mountain has nothing higher than its 'peak'.
Yes. The original phrase was "at the summit".

3 b. The highest level, spec. with reference to politics and
international relations; also ellipt. for summit conference, meeting,
etc., sense Compounds 2 below.
1950 W. S. Churchill in Times 15 Feb. 4/2 It is not easy to see how
things could be worsened by a parley at the summit, if such a thing were
possible.
1955 Newsweek 11 Apr. 44/1 Only if the Big Four Foreign Ministers
reached ‘a substantial measure of agreement’ would a further conference
be convened—at the summit.
[etc.]
Madhu
2018-06-13 11:14:44 UTC
Post by Dingbat
[...]
Perhaps from the same originators of the diplomacy jargon that borrowed
from climbing ('sherpa')
Jack
2018-06-12 18:36:14 UTC
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a high level meeting of leaders
what's with everything being a summit? Give it a rest already.

It's summat easier to say, so less prone to truth slips like 'that
meeting between the two dictators'.
John
RH Draney
2018-06-13 01:18:37 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by b***@gmail.com
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a high level meeting of leaders
what's with everything being a summit? Give it a rest already.
It's summat easier to say, so less prone to truth slips like 'that
meeting between the two dictators'.
I heard one reporter chastise another last night for referring to Trump
as Kim's "equivalent" when she meant to say "counterpart"...this just
three days after the same reporter had been corrected when she called a
past Ukranian figure a "dictator"; her informant preferred
"totalitarian-leaning leader"....r
occam
2018-06-13 09:49:31 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by b***@gmail.com
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a
high level meeting of leaders
what's with everything being a summit? Give it a rest already.
It's summat  easier to say, so less prone to truth slips like 'that
meeting between the two dictators'.
I heard one reporter chastise another last night for referring to Trump
as Kim's "equivalent" when she meant to say "counterpart"
They are more than counterparts. Apart from being leaders of their
respective countries, they come across as odd in their portrayal by the
press, both are regarded as irrational in their approach to
the-rest-of-the-world, and both are unstatesmanlike in their behaviour.
If only Kim was allowed to Tweet, you'd agree that they were more
'equivalent' than 'counterparts'. Two Loonies from the same bin.
occam
2018-06-13 07:54:57 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a high level meeting of leaders —— what's with everything being a summit? Give it a rest already.
s-u-m-m-i-t

vs.

h-i-g-h-l-e-v-e-l-m-e-e-t-i-n-g

(This is why I like to think of you as a 'bozo' rather than 'bosodeniro')
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-06-13 09:49:11 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
What's with all this 'summit' jag, summit this, summit that —— it's a high level meeting of leaders —— what's with everything being a summit? Give it a rest already.
It is a convenient jargon word. The meaning is clear, and the single
word "summit" for "summit meeting" is shorter than "high level meeting
of leaders".

Jerry Friedman has given th relevant usage form ht e OED.

The use of "summit" to mean the peak of a mountain is not the earliest
use of the word:

1.
a. The topmost part, top; the vertex, apex; †the crown (of the
head), boss (of a shield), umbo (of a shell).
1470–85 Malory Morte d'Arthur v. viii. 174 It clefte his hede
fro the somette of his hede.

2. The topmost point or ridge of a mountain or hill. Also, the
highest elevation of a road, railway, or canal.
1481 Caxton tr. Siege & Conqueste Jerusalem (1893) clxx. 251
Syon is toward the weste, on the sommete or toppe theron stondeth
the chirche which is named Syon.
1860 J. Tyndall Glaciers of Alps i. iii. 30 To witness the scene
from the summit of the pass.
1891 E. Roper By Track & Trail x. 148 Summit, in railway
parlance, means the highest point attained by the line in crossing
a mountain.

3. fig.
a. The highest point or degree; the acme.
a1717 Lady M. W. Montagu Lett. (1837) I. 172 Supposing I was at
the very summit of this sort of happiness.
2018-06-13 16:45:24 UTC
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 10:49:11 +0100, "Peter Duncanson [BrE]"
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Jerry Friedman has given th relevant usage form ht e OED.
My fingers seem to have developed minds of their own.