No problem with Absolutely!
g***@gmail.com
2017-12-03 00:41:33 UTC
Servers are trained and monitored and encouraged to show enthusiasm.

This produces, when I go to a restaurant:

Coffee please.
"Absolutely!"

Can we have two separate servings of nachos?
"No Problem!"

The, 30 seconds after I take a bite:
"How is everything, so far?"

(That one worries me ---- what's worrying them?)
y***@gmail.com
2017-12-03 01:28:23 UTC

"Mind settling up the bill now? Because my shift is ending and I need the tip to wash my kids clothes at the laundromat tomorrow, since my boss is a heartless Republican motherfucker who won't pay us a decent wage."
y***@gmail.com
2017-12-03 01:29:57 UTC

RH Draney
2017-12-03 02:39:00 UTC
On 12/2/2017 5:41 PM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> Servers are trained and monitored and encouraged to show enthusiasm.
>
> This produces, when I go to a restaurant:
>
> Coffee please.
> "Absolutely!"
>
> Can we have two separate servings of nachos?
> "No Problem!"
>
> The, 30 seconds after I take a bite:
> "How is everything, so far?"
>
> (That one worries me ---- what's worrying them?)

They let you take a bite before asking?...slackers....

My mother used to wait tables, and she told us the technique was to ask
diners if they needed anything when their mouths were full...since you
can't talk with your mouth full, you couldn't complain about anything,
and that meant you approved (and of course, if anything were *really*
wrong, you wouldn't have your mouth full, would you?)...

One place I used to go taught the staff to answer "o-negai shimasu"
instead of "you're welcome"....r
Quinn C
2017-12-24 16:53:05 UTC
* RH Draney:

> One place I used to go taught the staff to answer "o-negai shimasu"
> instead of "you're welcome"....r

Bakarashii!

The one answer to "thank you" that registered with me recently was
"Yeah, no, of course."

--
Woman is a pair of ovaries with a human being attached, whereas
man is a human being furnished with a pair of testes.
-- Rudolf Virchow
Ken Blake
2017-12-03 15:11:05 UTC
On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 16:41:33 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com
wrote:

>Servers are trained and monitored and encouraged to show enthusiasm.
>
>This produces, when I go to a restaurant:
>
>Coffee please.
>"Absolutely!"
>
>Can we have two separate servings of nachos?
>"No Problem!"
>
>The, 30 seconds after I take a bite:
>"How is everything, so far?"

What I hear, in almost every restaurant, is,

"How is everything tasting?"

Maybe I'm unusual, but that grates on my ear. Why don't they say, "How
does everything taste?"

But I'd much rather not be asked any question, especially when I'm
having the same thing I have for breakfast every Monday and
Tony Cooper
2017-12-03 15:42:24 UTC
On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 08:11:05 -0700, Ken Blake <***@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 16:41:33 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com
>wrote:
>
>>Servers are trained and monitored and encouraged to show enthusiasm.
>>
>>This produces, when I go to a restaurant:
>>
>>Coffee please.
>>"Absolutely!"
>>
>>Can we have two separate servings of nachos?
>>"No Problem!"
>>
>>The, 30 seconds after I take a bite:
>>"How is everything, so far?"
>

>What I hear, in almost every restaurant, is,
>
>"How is everything tasting?"
>
>Maybe I'm unusual, but that grates on my ear. Why don't they say, "How
>does everything taste?"
>
>But I'd much rather not be asked any question, especially when I'm
>having the same thing I have for breakfast every Monday and Thursday,
>served by the same waitress.

Waitstaff seems to have adopted the style of nurses in the use of
"we". "How we doin' here?", "What are we having today?", "Are we
ready for dessert?".

2017-12-03 15:55:40 UTC

Yes, I hear a lot of "we"
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-12-03 16:57:21 UTC
On 2017-12-03 15:42:24 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

> On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 08:11:05 -0700, Ken Blake <***@invalid.news.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 16:41:33 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Servers are trained and monitored and encouraged to show enthusiasm.
>>>
>>> This produces, when I go to a restaurant:
>>>
>>> Coffee please.
>>> "Absolutely!"
>>>
>>> Can we have two separate servings of nachos?
>>> "No Problem!"
>>>
>>> The, 30 seconds after I take a bite:
>>> "How is everything, so far?"
>>

>> What I hear, in almost every restaurant, is,
>>
>> "How is everything tasting?"
>>
>> Maybe I'm unusual, but that grates on my ear. Why don't they say, "How
>> does everything taste?"
>>
>> But I'd much rather not be asked any question, especially when I'm
>> having the same thing I have for breakfast every Monday and Thursday,
>> served by the same waitress.
>
> Waitstaff seems to have adopted the style of nurses in the use of
> "we".

Have we had our bowels moved today?

2017-12-04 10:56:41 UTC
On 03/12/2017 16:42, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 08:11:05 -0700, Ken Blake <***@invalid.news.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 16:41:33 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Servers are trained and monitored and encouraged to show enthusiasm.
>>>
>>> This produces, when I go to a restaurant:
>>>
>>> Coffee please.
>>> "Absolutely!"
>>>
>>> Can we have two separate servings of nachos?
>>> "No Problem!"
>>>
>>> The, 30 seconds after I take a bite:
>>> "How is everything, so far?"
>>

>> What I hear, in almost every restaurant, is,
>>
>> "How is everything tasting?"
>>
>> Maybe I'm unusual, but that grates on my ear. Why don't they say, "How
>> does everything taste?"
>>
>> But I'd much rather not be asked any question, especially when I'm
>> having the same thing I have for breakfast every Monday and Thursday,
>> served by the same waitress.
>
> Waitstaff seems to have adopted the style of nurses in the use of
> "we". "How we doin' here?", "What are we having today?", "Are we
> ready for dessert?".

The normal riposte, courtesy of an anon comedian:
(to the question "What are we having today?")

"I'm not sure about you, but I'm having a coffee"
Ken Blake
2017-12-04 18:17:10 UTC

Yes
Reinhold {Rey} Aman
2017-12-03 18:37:06 UTC
Ken Blake wrote:

> What I hear, in almost every restaurant, is,
>
> "How is everything tasting?"

In a Jewish restaurant, the waitress asks,
"Nu, is *anything* all right?"

~~~ Reinhold {"Tony"} Aman ~~~
Dingbat
2017-12-04 14:52:06 UTC
On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 12:07:03 AM UTC+5:30, Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
> >
> > What I hear, in almost every restaurant, is,
> >
> > "How is everything tasting?"
> >
> In a Jewish restaurant, the waitress asks,
> "Nu, is *anything* all right?"

Ha ha; you're alright.
(my suggested response)
Dingbat
2017-12-05 01:23:58 UTC

Everything, since I haven't yet got my kvetchup:->
Peter Moylan
2017-12-04 00:29:52 UTC
On 04/12/17 02:11, Ken Blake wrote:

> What I hear, in almost every restaurant, is,
>
> "How is everything tasting?"

I haven't heard that. If I did, my spontaneous answer would probably be
"With its tongue".

2017-12-06 20:40:52 UTC
On 04-Dec-17 0:29, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 04/12/17 02:11, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> What I hear, in almost every restaurant, is,
>>
>> "How is everything tasting?"
>
> I haven't heard that. If I did, my spontaneous answer would probably be
> "With its tongue".

"Well, the bacon may be cured but I doubt if the pig can..."

2017-12-04 14:59:50 UTC
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 8:41:14 PM UTC+5:30, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 16:41:33 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> >Servers are trained and monitored and encouraged to show enthusiasm.
> >
> >This produces, when I go to a restaurant:
> >
> >Coffee please.
> >"Absolutely!"
> >
> >Can we have two separate servings of nachos?
> >"No Problem!"
> >
> >The, 30 seconds after I take a bite:
> >"How is everything, so far?"
>

> What I hear, in almost every restaurant, is,
>
> "How is everything tasting?"

If the visage doing the asking is comely, you could deadpan:
Are tasty morsels to be beheld or tasted?

> Maybe I'm unusual, but that grates on my ear. Why don't they say, "How
> does everything taste?"

Tastes great and less filling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMeskvDHKgo#t=38

s***@gmail.com
2017-12-05 00:25:17 UTC
On Monday, the 4th instant, Dingbat wrote:
> On Sunday, December 3ish, Ken Blake wrote:
> > 16:41 (Pacific) the day before, ***@gmail.com wrote:
[..]
> > >"How is everything, so far?"
> >
> > What I hear, in almost every restaurant, is,
> >
> > "How is everything tasting?"
> >
> If the visage doing the asking is comely, you could deadpan:
> Are tasty morsels to be beheld or tasted?

I think I'll leave that one for the moment. unless I know the server quite well.

/dps "these days"
s***@gmail.com
2017-12-05 00:20:35 UTC
On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 4:41:38 PM UTC-8, ***@gmail.com wrote: