"bulldozer" is the new "steamroller"
2017-05-17 09:25:14 UTC
We have a very large construction site a few yards from
our property, and this machine has caused me some puzzlement
as I tried to figure out what on earth it is doing.

<http://en.stehr.com/stehr-bodenstabilisierungssystem-sbf-24-6-staubfrei>

There are no bulldozers on site; pushing earth around is now
a job for the diggers. "Bulldozer" is joining "steamroller"
as one of those things we all know about, but never see.
David Kleinecke
2017-05-17 15:25:33 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
We have a very large construction site a few yards from
our property, and this machine has caused me some puzzlement
as I tried to figure out what on earth it is doing.
<http://en.stehr.com/stehr-bodenstabilisierungssystem-sbf-24-6-staubfrei>
There are no bulldozers on site; pushing earth around is now
a job for the diggers. "Bulldozer" is joining "steamroller"
as one of those things we all know about, but never see.
Impressive gadget.

But it will never replace the bulldozer.

Looks like it is intended to replace the steamroller.
Harrison Hill
2017-05-17 15:51:54 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Harrison Hill
We have a very large construction site a few yards from
our property, and this machine has caused me some puzzlement
as I tried to figure out what on earth it is doing.
<http://en.stehr.com/stehr-bodenstabilisierungssystem-sbf-24-6-staubfrei>
There are no bulldozers on site; pushing earth around is now
a job for the diggers. "Bulldozer" is joining "steamroller"
as one of those things we all know about, but never see.
Impressive gadget.
But it will never replace the bulldozer.
Looks like it is intended to replace the steamroller.
It is impressive, and there is a film here, complete with sexy
German-accented overdub. Why does everything always have to come
down to sex?

<http://en.stehr.com/stehr-bodenstabilisierungssystem-sbf-24-6-staubfrei>

The diggers (when in bulldozer mode) don't have a drop-down
blade; but simply drive forward with their bucket down.
On other sites I've seem the bucket put on back-to-front, and
wondered why :)
Quinn C
2017-05-17 21:43:15 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Harrison Hill
<http://en.stehr.com/stehr-bodenstabilisierungssystem-sbf-24-6-staubfrei>
It is impressive, and there is a film here, complete with sexy
German-accented overdub. Why does everything always have to come
down to sex?
So that accent is sexy? Why, oh why did I lose* it??

* (mostly)
--
Manche Dinge sind vorgeschrieben, weil man sie braucht, andere
braucht man nur, weil sie vorgeschrieben sind.
-- Helmut Richter in de.etc.sprache.deutsch
Neill Massello
2017-05-18 20:31:09 UTC
"Bulldozer" is joining "steamroller" as one of those things we all know
about, but never see.
Think of it as the Eskimo "snow" of the machine age. A Rip Van Winkle
from 1900 would probably refer to our myriad electronic devices as
"telephones".
David Kleinecke
2017-05-18 20:49:27 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
"Bulldozer" is joining "steamroller" as one of those things we all know
about, but never see.
Think of it as the Eskimo "snow" of the machine age. A Rip Van Winkle
from 1900 would probably refer to our myriad electronic devices as
"telephones".
Like Steve Jobs did?

Back before WW II Popular Mechanics (home of the helicopter in every
garage) was excited about phones that displayed the other person's
face. Skype, et al.

But the computer development started at the telegraph (or
teletype) and not at the telephone.
Lewis
2017-05-18 21:38:18 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Neill Massello
"Bulldozer" is joining "steamroller" as one of those things we all know
about, but never see.
Think of it as the Eskimo "snow" of the machine age. A Rip Van Winkle
from 1900 would probably refer to our myriad electronic devices as
"telephones".
Like Steve Jobs did?
"In 2001, we introduced the first iPod, and… it didn’t just – it didn’t
just change the way we all listen to music, it changed the entire music
industry. Well, today, we’re introducing three revolutionary products
of this class.

"The first one: is a widescreen iPod with touch controls. The second: is
a revolutionary mobile phone. And the third is a breakthrough Internet
communications device.

"So, three things: a widescreen iPod with touch controls; a revolutionary
mobile phone; and a breakthrough Internet communications device.

An iPod, a phone, and an Internet communicator. An iPod, a phone … are
you getting it? These are not three separate devices, this is one
device, and we are calling it iPhone."
Post by David Kleinecke
But the computer development started at the telegraph (or
teletype) and not at the telephone.
Most people do not realise that faxes date back to the telegraph, long
pre-dating the telephone.
--
Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what
do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?
GordonD
2017-05-19 08:52:09 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Neill Massello
"Bulldozer" is joining "steamroller" as one of those things we
all know about, but never see.
Think of it as the Eskimo "snow" of the machine age. A Rip Van
Winkle from 1900 would probably refer to our myriad electronic
devices as "telephones".
Like Steve Jobs did?
Back before WW II Popular Mechanics (home of the helicopter in every
garage) was excited about phones that displayed the other person's
face. Skype, et al.
But the computer development started at the telegraph (or teletype)
and not at the telephone.
And with the rise of text messages the wheel has gone full circle.

How long before some enterprising manufacturer publicises their new
gadget as "The phone that lets you TALK to the other person, and HEAR
their reply instantly!"?
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
Richard Heathfield
2017-05-18 20:54:44 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
"Bulldozer" is joining "steamroller" as one of those things we all know
about, but never see.
Think of it as the Eskimo "snow" of the machine age. A Rip Van Winkle
from 1900 would probably refer to our myriad electronic devices as
"telephones".
A Private Eye cartoon from ten or twelve years ago has two gentlemen in
top hats inspecting a gramophone on wheels, which is whizzing
(unassisted) around the floor. On one side, one of those
"accordion"-style camera lens constructions can be seen, and on another
the classic "candlestick"-style phone (the kind that needs two hands to
use). The whole is topped magnificently by the gramophone's enormous
amplifying trumpet.

"Forget it, Bell," reads the caption. "No one's going to want a mobile
telephone that takes photos and plays music."
--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
Charles Bishop
2017-05-20 03:04:05 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
We have a very large construction site a few yards from
our property, and this machine has caused me some puzzlement
as I tried to figure out what on earth it is doing.
<http://en.stehr.com/stehr-bodenstabilisierungssystem-sbf-24-6-staubfrei>
There are no bulldozers on site; pushing earth around is now
a job for the diggers. "Bulldozer" is joining "steamroller"
as one of those things we all know about, but never see.
Au contraire mon frere. There are several (>5) bulldozers working within
a mile or so of my house. In fact, only yesterday, one of them, no doubt
anxious to get his work done as quickly as possible, managed to use his
bulldozer to knock down a power pole in the afternoon, cause a power
loss that lasted until the early hours this am.

It took out a neighborhood and a signal at an freeway intersection,
causing a backup that lasted a while. People were well behaved though.

The bulldozers and their brethren are moving large quantities of dirt
because the dirt isn't where some people want it to be. On of the
machines used is a hopper that dumps dirt onto a conveyor belt that
carries the dirt several hundred yards over a small barranca to the
other side, where the dirt is wanted.