The meaning of the verb "direct"
Lazypierrot
2018-01-12 01:05:21 UTC
Hi! I would like to know the meaning of the verb "direct" in the following
sentence.

Creative thinkers control their negative feelings and ***direct*** them into
something useful.

I would be glad if you could paraphrase "direct them(=their negative feelings)
into something useful."

Cordially,

LP
b***@aol.com
2018-01-12 02:27:51 UTC
Le vendredi 12 janvier 2018 02:05:26 UTC+1, Lazypierrot a écrit :
> Hi! I would like to know the meaning of the verb "direct" in the following
> sentence.
>

> Creative thinkers control their negative feelings and ***direct*** them into
> something useful.
>

> I would be glad if you could paraphrase "direct them(=their negative feelings)
> into something useful."

"harness them"

David Kleinecke
2018-01-12 04:16:16 UTC

Perhaps "funnel them".
Horace LaBadie
2018-01-12 04:18:30 UTC
In article <01142b6b-dab9-4b4d-b860-***@googlegroups.com>,
Lazypierrot <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! I would like to know the meaning of the verb "direct" in the following
> sentence.
>

> Creative thinkers control their negative feelings and ***direct*** them into
> something useful.
>

> I would be glad if you could paraphrase "direct them(=their negative feelings)
> into something useful."
>

> Cordially,
>
> LP

The verb "channel" is often used in that type of construction, meaning
to consciously take those feelings, divert them, and put them to a
better use.
Jerry Friedman
2018-01-12 04:54:44 UTC
On 1/11/18 6:05 PM, Lazypierrot wrote:
> Hi! I would like to know the meaning of the verb "direct" in the following
> sentence.
>

> Creative thinkers control their negative feelings and ***direct*** them into
> something useful.
>

> I would be glad if you could paraphrase "direct them(=their negative feelings)
> into something useful."

"Creative thinkers arrange things in their minds so their negative
feelings drive them to do useful things."

"Creative thinkers direct the impulses from their negative feelings into
something useful."

(I'm inclined to doubt that there's much correlation between creative
thinking and the ability to take advantage of one's negative feelings.
It's easy to think of creative people who committed suicide, for example.)