OT: Bookseller Codes
Add Reply
Peter Percival
2017-04-07 18:30:13 UTC
What are Bookseller Codes? There's an example about one third of the
way down on the right hand side of
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-contemporary-british-and-irish-poetry-9780199596805?lang=en&cc=gb,
it reads "Bookseller Code (AB)". I guess that it is an indication of
where a book should be shelved, or perhaps how it should be marketed.
to me what you really mean.
2017-04-07 20:29:55 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
What are Bookseller Codes? There's an example about one third of the
way down on the right hand side of
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-contemporary-british-and-irish-poetry-9780199596805?lang=en&cc=gb,
it reads "Bookseller Code (AB)". I guess that it is an indication of
where a book should be shelved, or perhaps how it should be marketed.
That book seems not to have one -- it looks like a heading with nothing under it.

I'd guess it's the word or two printed at the upper left of the back cover
suggesting which shelf in the bookstore to offer it on.
s***@gowanhill.com
2017-04-07 20:35:59 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
it reads "Bookseller Code (AB)". I guess that it is an indication of
where a book should be shelved, or perhaps how it should be marketed.
I think it is not a shelving or classification mark as all the books that I looked at on that website had the same AB code, and they were on different subjects.

Possibly it's the discount that applies to trade orders?

Owain
Jack Campin
2017-04-08 01:24:53 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
What are Bookseller Codes? There's an example about one third of the
way down on the right hand side of
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-contemporary-british-and-irish-poetry-9780199596805?lang=en&cc=gb,
it reads "Bookseller Code (AB)". I guess that it is an indication of
where a book should be shelved, or perhaps how it should be marketed.
Somewhere in this document, describing protocols for electronic
book ordering...

http://www.bic.org.uk/files/EDI%2520Tradacoms%2520Guidelines,%2520Code%2520List%2520Version%25209,%2520July%25202014.pdf

(near the middle) "AB" is used to mean "publication abandoned".

mobile 07895 860 060 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin
Peter Percival
2017-04-18 15:25:12 UTC
Post by Jack Campin
Post by Peter Percival
What are Bookseller Codes? There's an example about one third of the
way down on the right hand side of
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-contemporary-british-and-irish-poetry-9780199596805?lang=en&cc=gb,
it reads "Bookseller Code (AB)". I guess that it is an indication of
where a book should be shelved, or perhaps how it should be marketed.
Somewhere in this document, describing protocols for electronic
book ordering...
http://www.bic.org.uk/files/EDI%2520Tradacoms%2520Guidelines,%2520Code%2520List%2520Version%25209,%2520July%25202014.pdf
(near the middle) "AB" is used to mean "publication abandoned".
Thank you. I need to examine that with some care...
to me what you really mean.