Luton
Sara Lorimer
2005-10-10 18:43:35 UTC
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and much is
made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate to an English
reader?
SML
Harvey Van Sickle
2005-10-10 20:21:52 UTC
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
A designated post-war "overspill" town (to move decentralise population
from London). Faceless: a Steinian "there is no there there" place.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Canadian (30 years) and British (23 years)
For e-mail, change harvey.news to harvey.van
Sara Lorimer
2005-10-10 21:10:35 UTC
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
A designated post-war "overspill" town (to move decentralise population
from London). Faceless: a Steinian "there is no there there" place.
Ah -- that makes sense, thanks. Is it tough? Full of crime? Or just
nondescript?
SML
Mike Page
2005-10-10 21:19:18 UTC
Post by Sara Lorimer
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
A designated post-war "overspill" town (to move decentralise population
from London). Faceless: a Steinian "there is no there there" place.
Ah -- that makes sense, thanks. Is it tough? Full of crime? Or just
nondescript?
Fairly nondescript (except when the Watford derby is played).

Mike Page
Ross Howard
2005-10-10 21:55:11 UTC
Post by Mike Page
Post by Sara Lorimer
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
A designated post-war "overspill" town (to move decentralise population
from London). Faceless: a Steinian "there is no there there" place.
Ah -- that makes sense, thanks. Is it tough? Full of crime? Or just
nondescript?
Fairly nondescript (except when the Watford derby is played).
Yes, it's one of those towns like Reading, Aldershot or Basingstoke --
too close to London to have any real identity of their own yet too far
away to be worth shlepping out to.

Ross Howard
Harvey Van Sickle
2005-10-10 21:28:36 UTC
Post by Sara Lorimer
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
A designated post-war "overspill" town (to move decentralise
population from London). Faceless: a Steinian "there is no
there there" place.
Ah -- that makes sense, thanks. Is it tough? Full of crime? Or
just nondescript?
As Mike says, fairly nondescript.

It's known for a couple of large blue-collar industries -- car-making
and an ever-expanding airport -- rather than being a hotbed of
depravity and crime.
Laura F. Spira
2005-10-10 21:32:54 UTC
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
A designated post-war "overspill" town (to move decentralise
population from London). Faceless: a Steinian "there is no
there there" place.
Ah -- that makes sense, thanks. Is it tough? Full of crime? Or
just nondescript?
As Mike says, fairly nondescript.
It's known for a couple of large blue-collar industries -- car-making
and an ever-expanding airport -- rather than being a hotbed of
depravity and crime.
It used to be famous for the production of hats.
--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)
Harvey Van Sickle
2005-10-10 21:33:21 UTC
re: Luton
Post by Laura F. Spira
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
It's known for a couple of large blue-collar industries --
car-making and an ever-expanding airport -- rather than being a
hotbed of depravity and crime.
It used to be famous for the production of hats.
I'd forgotten that. (Like Godalming and gloves, which became Godalming
and stockbrokers.)
mUs1Ka
2005-10-10 22:00:50 UTC
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
re: Luton
Post by Laura F. Spira
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
It's known for a couple of large blue-collar industries --
car-making and an ever-expanding airport -- rather than being a
hotbed of depravity and crime.
It used to be famous for the production of hats.
I'd forgotten that. (Like Godalming and gloves, which became
Godalming and stockbrokers.)
Not forgetting the Luton Girls Choir.
Ray
Ross Howard
2005-10-10 22:07:05 UTC
Post by mUs1Ka
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
re: Luton
Post by Laura F. Spira
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
It's known for a couple of large blue-collar industries --
car-making and an ever-expanding airport -- rather than being a
hotbed of depravity and crime.
It used to be famous for the production of hats.
I'd forgotten that. (Like Godalming and gloves, which became
Godalming and stockbrokers.)
Not forgetting the Luton Girls Choir.
Or Capt. Ján Ludvik Hoch's foopball holding, even.

Hell, it turns out that in its own quiet way, Luton's famous for more
things than Manchester! (Coming right up: The Luton Sound takes the
world by storm.)

Ross Howard
Frances Kemmish
2005-10-11 13:47:09 UTC
Post by Laura F. Spira
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
A designated post-war "overspill" town (to move decentralise
population from London). Faceless: a Steinian "there is no
there there" place.
Ah -- that makes sense, thanks. Is it tough? Full of crime? Or
just nondescript?
As Mike says, fairly nondescript.
It's known for a couple of large blue-collar industries -- car-making
and an ever-expanding airport -- rather than being a hotbed of
depravity and crime.
It used to be famous for the production of hats.
I remember watching the 1959 FA Cup Final on TV. Nottingham Forest beat
Luton Town. Many of the Luton supporters wore straw boaters. The other
thing I remember about the match was that one of the Forest players
broke his leg.

The player who broke his leg was, apparently, Elton John's uncle.

Fran
John Dean
2005-10-11 14:30:50 UTC
Post by Frances Kemmish
Post by Laura F. Spira
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
[...]
And Luton Town FC are known as the Hatters. As Forest are sometimes
referred to as the Garibaldi Reds.
--
John Dean
Oxford
Tony Cooper
2005-10-11 21:34:54 UTC
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:30:50 +0100, "John Dean"
Post by John Dean
And Luton Town FC are known as the Hatters. As Forest are sometimes
referred to as the Garibaldi Reds.
The sports teams of a university near here are called the Hatters.
The school is Stetson University.
--
Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
CDB
In Quebec's Eastern Townships, Bishop's University fields the Gators.
Tony Cooper
2005-10-12 01:08:00 UTC
Post by John Dean
And Luton Town FC are known as the Hatters. As Forest are sometimes
referred to as the Garibaldi Reds.
The sports teams of a university near here are called the Hatters.
The school is Stetson University.
In Quebec's Eastern Townships, Bishop's University fields the Gators.
Should have been the Gaiters.
--
Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Evan Kirshenbaum
2005-10-12 03:39:24 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by John Dean
And Luton Town FC are known as the Hatters. As Forest are
sometimes referred to as the Garibaldi Reds.
The sports teams of a university near here are called the Hatters.
The school is Stetson University.
In Quebec's Eastern Townships, Bishop's University fields the
Gators.
Should have been the Gaiters.
Then there's the University of Connecticut Huskies.
HP Laboratories |Now every hacker knows
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 | That the secret to survivin'
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |Is knowin' when the time is free
| And what's the load and queue
***@hpl.hp.com |'Cause everyone's a cruncher
(650)857-7572 | And everyone's a user
http://www.kirshenbaum.net/ | Is a crash when you're through
Frances Kemmish
2005-10-12 12:20:51 UTC
Post by Evan Kirshenbaum
Then there's the University of Connecticut Huskies.
That was always my favourite, until I heard about Macon GA:

Fran
CDB
2005-10-12 13:12:24 UTC
[...]
The university's crest features one, wearing some.
CDB
2005-10-12 13:20:57 UTC
[...]
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by CDB
In Quebec's Eastern Townships, Bishop's University fields the
Gators.
Should have been the Gaiters.
Thought I couldn't find one; but here is the idea, in little:
www.ubishops.ca/ccc/tour/main.htm .
Mark Brader
2005-10-11 23:12:49 UTC
Post by Frances Kemmish
The player who broke his leg was, apparently, Elton John's uncle.
Interesting ambiguity. From context it seems that Elton John's uncle
was the victim of an accident during the game. But taking the sentence
in isolation, it would also be possible for "his" to refer to a
different player. That is, the uncle could have collided with the
other player -- or even assaulted him deliberately -- and so broken
the *other* player's leg.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The language should match the users,
***@vex.net not vice versa" -- Brian W. Kernighan
Philip Eden
2005-10-12 15:16:09 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Frances Kemmish
The player who broke his leg was, apparently, Elton John's uncle.
Interesting ambiguity. From context it seems that Elton John's uncle
was the victim of an accident during the game. But taking the sentence
in isolation, it would also be possible for "his" to refer to a
different player. That is, the uncle could have collided with the
other player -- or even assaulted him deliberately -- and so broken
the *other* player's leg.
--
Taking the sentence in isolation the person with the broken leg
could have been Elton John.

Philip Eden
John Dean
2005-10-10 23:41:54 UTC
Post by Sara Lorimer
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
A designated post-war "overspill" town (to move decentralise
population from London). Faceless: a Steinian "there is no there
there" place.
Ah -- that makes sense, thanks. Is it tough? Full of crime? Or just
nondescript?
Tough-ish. Memorable in UK pop culture for the TV advert some years ago
in which a ravishing (well, it was Lorraine Chase but the specs called
for ravishing and so was she deemed by the creatives) young woman in a
tropical setting is asked "Were you truly wafted here from paradise?" to
which she replies in an Eliza Doolittle voice "Naow. Lu'on Airpo'."
--
John Dean
Oxford
Matti Lamprhey
2005-10-12 14:27:46 UTC
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
A designated post-war "overspill" town (to move decentralise
population from London). Faceless: a Steinian "there is no there"
place.
A couple of years ago people were polled in an attempt to discover
Britain's most unappealing town. On that occasion it turned out to be
(Kingston-upon-)Hull. This was such fun that it was repeated last year,
and Luton headed the poll of "Crap Towns" on that occasion.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1313345,00.html

Matti
Tony Cooper
2005-10-12 14:37:11 UTC
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:27:46 +0100, "Matti Lamprhey"
Post by Matti Lamprhey
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
A designated post-war "overspill" town (to move decentralise
population from London). Faceless: a Steinian "there is no there"
place.
A couple of years ago people were polled in an attempt to discover
Britain's most unappealing town. On that occasion it turned out to be
(Kingston-upon-)Hull. This was such fun that it was repeated last year,
and Luton headed the poll of "Crap Towns" on that occasion.
I've read several of Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries and just think of
Luton as an industrial town based on these books. Joe is retired from
company there and trying to make it as a private eye if I recall
correctly.

However, there have been several references to Luton in various Python
sketches that portray in the sense of "Crap Town". I don't recall any
mention of Hull in Python sketches. I don't think any English town
has achieved really crap status unless the status has been verified by
the Flying Circus.
--
Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Ross Howard
2005-10-12 14:45:50 UTC
Post by Matti Lamprhey
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Sara Lorimer
[...]
Rather than crap towns, the Pythons tended to take the piss out of
cosy, middle-class, stockbroker-belt places like Purley or Cheam,
which may be really, really boring towns but they're not really crap.

Ross Howard
the Omrud
2005-10-12 15:05:28 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
However, there have been several references to Luton in various Python
sketches that portray in the sense of "Crap Town". I don't recall any
mention of Hull in Python sketches. I don't think any English town
has achieved really crap status unless the status has been verified by
the Flying Circus.
Apart from Michael Palin (Derbyshire) and of course Terry Gilliam, I
think the Pythons were all Southerners. I doubt whether any of them
had more than the vaguest notion in the early 70s about where Hull
might be situated or what it was like. But Luton is between
Cambridge and London, and so clearly on their radar.
--
David
=====
replace usenet with the
Frances Kemmish
2005-10-13 03:33:45 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Tony Cooper
However, there have been several references to Luton in various Python
sketches that portray in the sense of "Crap Town". I don't recall any
mention of Hull in Python sketches. I don't think any English town
has achieved really crap status unless the status has been verified by
the Flying Circus.
Apart from Michael Palin (Derbyshire) and of course Terry Gilliam, I
think the Pythons were all Southerners. I doubt whether any of them
had more than the vaguest notion in the early 70s about where Hull
might be situated or what it was like. But Luton is between
Cambridge and London, and so clearly on their radar.
I didn't know that Michael Palin was from Derbyshire; I thought he came
from Sheffield. I looked up the rest of the Monty Python people (that I
could remember) on IMDB. According to that site:

Graham Chapman came from Leicester; Terry Jones came from North Wales;
Eric Idle came from South Shields.

John Cleese came from Weston-super-mare: that counts as south.

Fran
the Omrud
2005-10-13 07:44:35 UTC
Post by Frances Kemmish
Post by the Omrud
Post by Tony Cooper
However, there have been several references to Luton in various Python
sketches that portray in the sense of "Crap Town". I don't recall any
mention of Hull in Python sketches. I don't think any English town
has achieved really crap status unless the status has been verified by
the Flying Circus.
Apart from Michael Palin (Derbyshire) and of course Terry Gilliam, I
think the Pythons were all Southerners. I doubt whether any of them
had more than the vaguest notion in the early 70s about where Hull
might be situated or what it was like. But Luton is between
Cambridge and London, and so clearly on their radar.
I didn't know that Michael Palin was from Derbyshire; I thought he came
from Sheffield. I looked up the rest of the Monty Python people (that I
I thought he was from Buxton - the people of Buxton certainly like to
claim him as a Buxton export.
Post by Frances Kemmish
Graham Chapman came from Leicester; Terry Jones came from North Wales;
Eric Idle came from South Shields.
AIUI Terry Jones was born in Wales but his family moved to London
when he was too young to know anything about it. I didn't know about
Eric Idle being from the North East - if so then he would know about
Hull. Leicester is borderline.
Post by Frances Kemmish
John Cleese came from Weston-super-mare: that counts as south.
Yes - this was occasionally commented on in I'm Sorry I'll Read That
Again.
--
David
=====
replace usenet with the
Frances Kemmish
2005-10-13 11:23:22 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Frances Kemmish
I didn't know that Michael Palin was from Derbyshire; I thought he came
from Sheffield. I looked up the rest of the Monty Python people (that I
I thought he was from Buxton - the people of Buxton certainly like to
claim him as a Buxton export.
I know that Tim Brooke-Taylor came from Buxton, but I didn't know that
Michael Palin did.

Fran
the Omrud
2005-10-13 15:44:27 UTC
Post by Frances Kemmish
Post by the Omrud
Post by Frances Kemmish
I didn't know that Michael Palin was from Derbyshire; I thought he came
from Sheffield. I looked up the rest of the Monty Python people (that I
I thought he was from Buxton - the people of Buxton certainly like to
claim him as a Buxton export.
I know that Tim Brooke-Taylor came from Buxton, but I didn't know that
Michael Palin did.
Ah, in that case age may have withered the membranes between my
memory pigeon holes for these two gentlemen.
--
David
=====
replace usenet with the
Mike Barnes
2005-10-13 15:27:34 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Frances Kemmish
I didn't know that Michael Palin was from Derbyshire; I thought he came
from Sheffield. I looked up the rest of the Monty Python people (that I
I thought he was from Buxton - the people of Buxton certainly like to
claim him as a Buxton export.
Tim Brooke-Taylor was from Buxton.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Tony Cooper
2005-10-13 16:21:54 UTC
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:27:34 +0100, Mike Barnes
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by the Omrud
Post by Frances Kemmish
I didn't know that Michael Palin was from Derbyshire; I thought he came
from Sheffield. I looked up the rest of the Monty Python people (that I
I thought he was from Buxton - the people of Buxton certainly like to
claim him as a Buxton export.
Tim Brooke-Taylor was from Buxton.
I had to look up Tim Brooke-Taylor to know, but he appears to be still
among the living. If so, isn't he still from Buxton?
--
Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
the Omrud
2005-10-13 16:47:12 UTC
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by the Omrud
Post by Frances Kemmish
I didn't know that Michael Palin was from Derbyshire; I thought he came
from Sheffield. I looked up the rest of the Monty Python people (that I
I thought he was from Buxton - the people of Buxton certainly like to
claim him as a Buxton export.
Tim Brooke-Taylor was from Buxton.
I had to look up Tim Brooke-Taylor to know, but he appears to be still
among the living. If so, isn't he still from Buxton?
Nah, like most luvvies, he'll have emigrated to Hampstead.
--
David
=====
replace usenet with the
Ross Howard
2005-10-13 17:03:28 UTC
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by the Omrud
Post by Frances Kemmish
I didn't know that Michael Palin was from Derbyshire; I thought he came
from Sheffield. I looked up the rest of the Monty Python people (that I
I thought he was from Buxton - the people of Buxton certainly like to
claim him as a Buxton export.
Tim Brooke-Taylor was from Buxton.
I had to look up Tim Brooke-Taylor to know, but he appears to be still
among the living. If so, isn't he still from Buxton?
Nah, like most luvvies, he'll have emigrated to Hampstead.
No luvvie I, but I emigrated to Hampstead in the late '70s. And you're
right, it was indeed a chock-a-block with luvvies and Lanson lefties
of all kinds -- Jeremy Irons and Sinead, Peter Cook (who lived too
close to Oddbins for his own good), Michael Foot And His Duffel Coat
And His Dog (the three were inseparable), John Hurt (a regular at
Sketchley's dry cleaners -- a messy eater, perhaps?), John le Carré,
Lulu . . . .

Going to the shops was like visiting Madame Tussauds.

Ross Howard
Tony Cooper
2005-10-13 18:21:06 UTC
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by the Omrud
Post by Frances Kemmish
I didn't know that Michael Palin was from Derbyshire; I thought he came
from Sheffield. I looked up the rest of the Monty Python people (that I
I thought he was from Buxton - the people of Buxton certainly like to
claim him as a Buxton export.
Tim Brooke-Taylor was from Buxton.
I had to look up Tim Brooke-Taylor to know, but he appears to be still
among the living. If so, isn't he still from Buxton?
Nah, like most luvvies, he'll have emigrated to Hampstead.
The common understanding of "from" is where the person was born or
grew up. He's from Buxton, and will always be from Buxton, but lives
in Hampstead.
--
Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
the Omrud
2005-10-13 19:18:14 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by the Omrud
Post by Frances Kemmish
I didn't know that Michael Palin was from Derbyshire; I thought he came
from Sheffield. I looked up the rest of the Monty Python people (that I
I thought he was from Buxton - the people of Buxton certainly like to
claim him as a Buxton export.
Tim Brooke-Taylor was from Buxton.
I had to look up Tim Brooke-Taylor to know, but he appears to be still
among the living. If so, isn't he still from Buxton?
Nah, like most luvvies, he'll have emigrated to Hampstead.
The common understanding of "from" is where the person was born or
grew up. He's from Buxton, and will always be from Buxton, but lives
in Hampstead.
Yes. I was being awkward.
--
David
=====
replace usenet with the
Django Cat
2005-10-10 21:57:26 UTC
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and much is
made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate to an English
reader?
John Hegley, greatest living English Poet.

Start here: http://www.johnhegley.co.uk/networds/docs/artinluton.htm

DC, eating his crouton.
Skitt
2005-10-10 22:38:11 UTC
Post by Django Cat
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and much
is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate to an
English reader?
John Hegley, greatest living English Poet.
Start here: http://www.johnhegley.co.uk/networds/docs/artinluton.htm
DC, eating his crouton.
Just the one, eh?
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
www.geocities.com/opus731/
Django Cat
2005-10-11 20:11:47 UTC
Post by Skitt
Post by Django Cat
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and
much is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate
to an English reader?
John Hegley, greatest living English Poet.
Start here: http://www.johnhegley.co.uk/networds/docs/artinluton.htm
DC, eating his crouton.
Just the one, eh?
Well, according to Mr Hegley:-

"LUTON

(a poem about the town of my upbringing and the conflict between my
working class origins and the middle class status conferred upon me by
a university education)

I remember Luton
as I'm swallowing my crouton."

If this helps the OP, Hegley is a performance poet who makes a lot of
his origins in the deeply dull, while at the same time pretty rough,
town of Luton. Luton is commuter dullsville, but close enough to
London to have its own deep tedium thrown into perspective by the
city's bright lights - I bet there are similar palces round New York...
hang on, I've been to Newark! Just think the same but about 30 miles
further out...

While Hegley's nerd persona can be very funny, he is also a sharp and
perceptive poet. This is my favourite:-

http://www.real153.com/content/pat/

DC
Laura F. Spira
2005-10-11 20:45:19 UTC
Post by Django Cat
Post by Skitt
Post by Django Cat
Post by Sara Lorimer
[...]
That is *excellent*! Thank you!
--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)
Django Cat
2005-10-12 14:00:23 UTC
Post by Django Cat
Post by Skitt
Post by Django Cat
Post by Sara Lorimer
[...]
That is excellent! Thank you!
Good isn't it? Who could resist being described as 'cataclysmically
desirable'?

DC
Sara Lorimer
2005-10-12 01:07:08 UTC
Post by Django Cat
If this helps the OP, Hegley is a performance poet who makes a lot of
his origins in the deeply dull, while at the same time pretty rough,
town of Luton. Luton is commuter dullsville, but close enough to
London to have its own deep tedium thrown into perspective by the
city's bright lights - I bet there are similar palces round New York...
hang on, I've been to Newark! Just think the same but about 30 miles
further out...
While Hegley's nerd persona can be very funny, he is also a sharp and
perceptive poet. This is my favourite:-
http://www.real153.com/content/pat/
That does help. I will keep the poem in mind as I try to understand that
which is Luton.
SML
Django Cat
2005-10-12 14:03:27 UTC
Post by Sara Lorimer
Post by Django Cat
If this helps the OP, Hegley is a performance poet who makes a lot
of his origins in the deeply dull, while at the same time pretty
rough, town of Luton. Luton is commuter dullsville, but close
enough to London to have its own deep tedium thrown into
perspective by the city's bright lights - I bet there are similar
palces round New York... hang on, I've been to Newark! Just think
the same but about 30 miles further out...
While Hegley's nerd persona can be very funny, he is also a sharp
and perceptive poet. This is my favourite:-
http://www.real153.com/content/pat/
That does help. I will keep the poem in mind as I try to understand
that which is Luton.
Glad to be of service...
DC
Philip Eden
2005-10-10 23:11:12 UTC
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and much is
made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate to an English
reader?
As a not disinterested observer, all I can add is an old story
I have told here before. A modern languages lecturer of my
acquaintance once asked me where I was from. On hearing
my answer, he brayed, "Ah, Luton, Luton, where they
pronounce neither their vowels nor their consonants."

Philip Eden
Luton, UK.
Mike Lyle
2005-10-11 00:12:22 UTC
Post by Philip Eden
Post by Sara Lorimer
is made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate to an
English reader?
As a not disinterested observer, all I can add is an old story
I have told here before. A modern languages lecturer of my
acquaintance once asked me where I was from. On hearing
my answer, he brayed, "Ah, Luton, Luton, where they
pronounce neither their vowels nor their consonants."
Philip Eden
Luton, UK.
Like the well-known Cardiff broadcaster who said he was learning
Welsh as a second language, then paused and added, "Mind you, I don't
suppose in Caadiff we've got a language to staat from."
Mike.
Graeme Thomas
2005-10-10 23:14:42 UTC
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and much is
made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate to an English
reader?
Others have noted that it's a nondescript place.

The airport is sometimes, misleadingly, described as "London's 4th
airport". It serves mainly charter aircraft -- many of the flights
leaving for the Costa Brava set off from Luton.

It has a very large Moslem population.

It's most recent claim to fame was that the 7/7 (=AmE "7/7") bombers met
there before catching their train into London.
Graeme Thomas
the Omrud
2005-10-11 12:55:22 UTC
Post by Graeme Thomas
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and much is
made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate to an English
reader?
Others have noted that it's a nondescript place.
The airport is sometimes, misleadingly, described as "London's 4th
airport". It serves mainly charter aircraft -- many of the flights
leaving for the Costa Brava set off from Luton.
That may have been true 10 years ago but I suspect that the majority
of departures are now low-cost scheduled flights by Easyjet and Ryan
Air. It is officially named "London Luton Airport" which doesn't
fool anybody:
http://www.london-luton.co.uk/en/

It was the home of manufacturing for Vauxhall Cars (the UK branding
of Opel which is the European arm of General Motors), and also had a
proud history of making light vans and small lorries such as Bedford.
I think the car plant is now closed.
Post by Graeme Thomas
It has a very large Moslem population.
It's most recent claim to fame was that the 7/7 (=AmE "7/7") bombers met
there before catching their train into London.
And it's nicer than Hull.
--
David
=====
replace usenet with the
j***@yahoo.com
2005-10-11 23:30:21 UTC
Graeme Thomas wrote:
Post by Graeme Thomas
It's most recent claim to fame was that the 7/7 (=AmE "7/7") bombers met
there before catching their train into London.
Ah, the reverse of Mark Brader's "in the U.S. it's $10,000, but in
Canada it's only $10,000."
Jerry Friedman
Charles Riggs
2005-10-12 08:33:32 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Graeme Thomas
It's most recent claim to fame was that the 7/7 (=AmE "7/7") bombers met
there before catching their train into London.
Ah, the reverse of Mark Brader's "in the U.S. it's $10,000, but in
Canada it's only $10,000."
Which even makes sense if you assume, as is reasonable, that the first
dollar sign refers to US dollars and the second to Canadian ones.
Charles Riggs
j***@yahoo.com
2005-10-12 19:43:57 UTC
Post by Charles Riggs
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Graeme Thomas
It's most recent claim to fame was that the 7/7 (=AmE "7/7") bombers met
there before catching their train into London.
Ah, the reverse of Mark Brader's "in the U.S. it's $10,000, but in
Canada it's only $10,000."
Which even makes sense if you assume, as is reasonable, that the first
dollar sign refers to US dollars and the second to Canadian ones.
It not only makes sense (NPI); I thought it was funny, as I thought
Graeme's parenthesis was.
Jerry Friedman changed and shortened Mark's remark considerably.
Philip Eden
2005-10-12 15:23:52 UTC
Post by Sara Lorimer
I'm reading one of Reginald Hill's Joe Sixsmith mysteries, and much is
made of Joe being from Luton. What does "Luton" indicate to an English
reader?
Next year's SDC question-setters may care to muse over
the coincidence of this statement and the fact that Sir Charles
Hill, one-time Secretary of State for Health, was the town's
MP in the 1950s and early 1960s. He was subsequently
kicked upstairs as Lord Hill of Luton. The two gentleman
are not to my knowledge related.

Philip Eden