Porter: He can chin Himself
Add Reply
Marius Hancu
2017-10-10 01:44:30 UTC
Hello, everyone,

~~~
["He" is the "simple-minded" boy of this farmer family. Emly is his sister.]

... Mrs. Whipple loaded up a big plate for Him first, before everybody.
“I always say He ain't to be slighted, no matter who else goes without,”
she said, and carried it to Him herself.

“He can chin Himself on the top of the door,” said Emly, helping along.

Katherine Ann Porter, He
~~~

“He can chin Himself on the top of the door”
Does this mean (Emly seems envious):
"forget about favoring him this much, he's strong enough to make chinups"
or
"forget about favoring him this much; for all I care, he can hang himself"

Thank you.
Marius Hancu
Horace LaBadie
2017-10-10 02:19:18 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
Hello, everyone,
~~~
["He" is the "simple-minded" boy of this farmer family. Emly is his sister.]
... Mrs. Whipple loaded up a big plate for Him first, before everybody.
“I always say He ain't to be slighted, no matter who else goes without,”
she said, and carried it to Him herself.
“He can chin Himself on the top of the door,” said Emly, helping along.
Katherine Ann Porter, He
~~~
“He can chin Himself on the top of the door”
"forget about favoring him this much, he's strong enough to make chinups"
Yes. Do chin-ups.
Thank you.
Marius Hancu
2017-10-10 02:29:41 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
~~~
Post by Marius Hancu
or
"forget about favoring him this much; for all I care, he can hang himself"
Thanks, everyone.
--
Marius Hancu

Lewis
2017-10-10 02:19:38 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
Hello, everyone,
~~~
["He" is the "simple-minded" boy of this farmer family. Emly is his sister.]
... Mrs. Whipple loaded up a big plate for Him first, before everybody.
“I always say He ain't to be slighted, no matter who else goes without,”
she said, and carried it to Him herself.
“He can chin Himself on the top of the door,” said Emly, helping along.
Katherine Ann Porter, He
~~~
“He can chin Himself on the top of the door”
"forget about favoring him this much, he's strong enough to make chinups"
or
"forget about favoring him this much; for all I care, he can hang himself"
No. It means he is strong enough to grab the top of a door and pull
himself up, an exercise called "a chin up"

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin-up>

There's not enough context there for me to guess at her feelings.
--
Were it not for frustration and humiliation
I suppose the human race would get ideas above its station.