Résumé or resume?
Ant
2018-07-10 23:56:44 UTC
Hello.

Which one would be better to use for its correct spelling online? Or
does it not matter?

Thank you for reading and answering.
--
Quote of the Week: "I got worms! That's what we're going to call it.
We're going to specialize in selling worm farms. You know like ant
| |o o| | ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ /
( )
RH Draney
2018-07-11 06:59:34 UTC
On 7/10/2018 4:56 PM, Ant wrote:

> Which one would be better to use for its correct spelling online? Or
> does it not matter?

It would be better to omit the accent marks unless you know that the
document will not be passing through stages that will mangle the
character encoding...the word has been known to reach recipients as
"risumi" in some cases....r
Madhu
2018-07-11 09:02:16 UTC
* RH Draney <***@news4.newsguy.com> :
Wrote on Tue, 10 Jul 2018 23:59:34 -0700:

> On 7/10/2018 4:56 PM, Ant wrote:
>>
>> Which one would be better to use for its correct spelling online? Or
>> does it not matter?
>
> It would be better to omit the accent marks unless you know that the
> document will not be passing through stages that will mangle the
> character encoding...the word has been known to reach recipients as
> "risumi" in some cases....r

Here it comes with two copyright symbols with 1 latin-1 assumption.

Résumé

As it is not a subset of latin-1 and you'd have to choose between utf-8
and latin-1 and the whole world already uses utf-8 but only because
unicode is a satanic conspiracy I'd recommend the unnacented version.

On the other hand the accent marks may give a clue to some regional
recruiters that the word is not to be pronounced as (stop and) resume.
Katy Jennison
2018-07-11 09:52:09 UTC
On 11/07/2018 10:02, Madhu wrote:
> * RH Draney <***@news4.newsguy.com> :
> Wrote on Tue, 10 Jul 2018 23:59:34 -0700:
>
>> On 7/10/2018 4:56 PM, Ant wrote:
>>>
>>> Which one would be better to use for its correct spelling online? Or
>>> does it not matter?
>>
>> It would be better to omit the accent marks unless you know that the
>> document will not be passing through stages that will mangle the
>> character encoding...the word has been known to reach recipients as
>> "risumi" in some cases....r
>

> Here it comes with two copyright symbols with 1 latin-1 assumption.
>
> Résumé
>
> As it is not a subset of latin-1 and you'd have to choose between utf-8
> and latin-1 and the whole world already uses utf-8 but only because
> unicode is a satanic conspiracy I'd recommend the unnacented version.
>
> On the other hand the accent marks may give a clue to some regional
> recruiters that the word is not to be pronounced as (stop and) resume.

There are advantages to the BrE term 'curriculum vitae' or CV for short.

2018-07-11 12:11:12 UTC
On 2018-07-11 11:52:09 +0200, Katy Jennison <***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> said:

> On 11/07/2018 10:02, Madhu wrote:
>> * RH Draney <***@news4.newsguy.com> :
>> Wrote on Tue, 10 Jul 2018 23:59:34 -0700:

>>> It would be better to omit the accent marks unless you know that the
>>> document will not be passing through stages that will mangle the
>>> character encoding...the word has been known to reach recipients as
>>> "risumi" in some cases....r
>>

>> Here it comes with two copyright symbols with 1 latin-1 assumption.
>>
>> Résumé
>>
>> As it is not a subset of latin-1 and you'd have to choose between utf-8
>> and latin-1 and the whole world already uses utf-8 but only because
>> unicode is a satanic conspiracy I'd recommend the unnacented version.
>>
>> On the other hand the accent marks may give a clue to some regional
>> recruiters that the word is not to be pronounced as (stop and) resume.
>>

> There are advantages to the BrE term 'curriculum vitae' or CV for short.

As long as you don't spell it curriculum vitæ.

2018-07-11 12:48:13 UTC
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 5:52:12 AM UTC-4, Katy Jennison wrote:
> On 11/07/2018 10:02, Madhu wrote:

> > On the other hand the accent marks may give a clue to some regional
> > recruiters that the word is not to be pronounced as (stop and) resume.
>
> There are advantages to the BrE term 'curriculum vitae' or CV for short.

In AmE, the two sorts of documents are different things (as has been
discussed).
Kerr-Mudd,John
2018-07-11 10:06:15 UTC
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 06:59:34 GMT, RH Draney <***@cox.net> wrote:

> On 7/10/2018 4:56 PM, Ant wrote:
>>
>> Which one would be better to use for its correct spelling online? Or
>> does it not matter?
>
> It would be better to omit the accent marks unless you know that the
> document will not be passing through stages that will mangle the
> character encoding...the word has been known to reach recipients as
> "risumi" in some cases....r

That very point is made by the Subject header:

Re: =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFLDqXN1bcOpIG9yIHJlc3VtZT8=?=

Garrett Wollman
2018-07-11 15:18:46 UTC
In article <***@85.214.115.223>,
Kerr-Mudd,John <***@invalid.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 06:59:34 GMT, RH Draney <***@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> On 7/10/2018 4:56 PM, Ant wrote:
>>>
>>> Which one would be better to use for its correct spelling online? Or
>>> does it not matter?
>>
>> It would be better to omit the accent marks unless you know that the
>> document will not be passing through stages that will mangle the
>> character encoding...the word has been known to reach recipients as
>> "risumi" in some cases....r
>
>That very point is made by the Subject header:
>
>Re: =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFLDqXN1bcOpIG9yIHJlc3VtZT8=?=

That seems to have been Ron's doing (or Newsguy's). Ant's original
post was ISO 8859-1 in quoted-printable encoding:

Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=E9sum=E9?= or resume?

These days many clients work in Unicode internally (or something
horrible like UTF-16, especially on Windows) and do not preserve the
original encoding.

-GAWollman

***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
2018-07-12 11:09:29 UTC
In message <***@85.214.115.223> Kerr-Mudd,John <***@invalid.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 06:59:34 GMT, RH Draney <***@cox.net> wrote:

>> On 7/10/2018 4:56 PM, Ant wrote:
>>>
>>> Which one would be better to use for its correct spelling online? Or
>>> does it not matter?
>>
>> It would be better to omit the accent marks unless you know that the
>> document will not be passing through stages that will mangle the
>> character encoding...the word has been known to reach recipients as
>> "risumi" in some cases....r

> That very point is made by the Subject header:

> Re: =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFLDqXN1bcOpIG9yIHJlc3VtZT8=?=

That is what you see because you are using a newsreader that is still
stuck in the 1990s.

And yes, USENET is the worst place to ask this because much of it is
firmly planted in the 1990s. The world has moved on. UTF-8 works pretty
much everywhere.

--
Critics look at actresses one of two ways: you're either bankable or
boinkable.
Ant
2018-07-11 22:03:28 UTC
RH Draney <***@cox.net> wrote:
> On 7/10/2018 4:56 PM, Ant wrote:
> >
> > Which one would be better to use for its correct spelling online? Or
> > does it not matter?

> It would be better to omit the accent marks unless you know that the
> document will not be passing through stages that will mangle the
> character encoding...the word has been known to reach recipients as
> "risumi" in some cases....r

Good point. Thanks. :)
( )
Lewis
2018-07-12 11:07:20 UTC
In message <MpmdnWNaBLAh2tjGnZ2dnUU7-***@earthlink.com> Ant <***@zimage.com> wrote:
> Hello.

> Which one would be better to use for its correct spelling online? Or
> does it not matter?

use the accents and send a PDF or be sure and post to a web site that
uses UTF-8 (that is, check if the site handles accents). Otherwise,
use plain ASCII 7 bit and omit the accents.

--
I started playing Myst at 4:30 in the afternoon and looked up suddenly
and realized it was February.