What does 'that increase' mean here?
fl
2017-09-23 03:17:50 UTC

I cannot make 'that increase' out in below graph. What is 'that increase'?

Thanks,

Lowe insists the data won't be sold, but it will be used to help with marketing.
And down the line, if MoviePass markets a particular movie and boosts sales, it
might like to claim a cut of that increase, he said.
Horace LaBadie
2017-09-23 03:28:02 UTC
Post by fl
Hi,
I cannot make 'that increase' out in below graph. What is 'that increase'?
Thanks,
Lowe insists the data won't be sold, but it will be used to help with marketing.
And down the line, if MoviePass markets a particular movie and boosts sales, it
might like to claim a cut of that increase, he said.
The amount by which the ticket sales at the box office increased as a
result of MoviePass's marketing of the movie over the amount that the
movie would have made without the marketing. Presumably MoviePass has
some way to show a definitive link between their marketing and the
increase in box office receipts.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-09-23 06:37:11 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by fl
Hi,
I cannot make 'that increase' out in below graph. What is 'that increase'?
Thanks,
Lowe insists the data won't be sold, but it will be used to help with marketing.
And down the line, if MoviePass markets a particular movie and boosts sales, it
might like to claim a cut of that increase, he said.
The amount by which the ticket sales at the box office increased as a
result of MoviePass's marketing of the movie over the amount that the
movie would have made without the marketing. Presumably MoviePass has
some way to show a definitive link between their marketing and the
increase in box office receipts.
Even if they can't they'll claim one. After all, Lance Wallnau's
prayers convinced God not to let Irma devastate Trump's properties in
Florida.
athel
Mark Brader
2017-09-23 06:49:00 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by fl
I cannot make 'that increase' out in below graph.
I was puzzled by this query because I did not see any graph, or a link
to one. I believe the original poster meant to say "paragraph".

Some people use "graf" as slang for "paragraph", but not everyone, and
I don't think the spelling "graph" is used for it.

(Also, it should be "the paragraph below" or "the following paragraph".)
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by fl
What is 'that increase'?
Lowe insists the data won't be sold, but it will be used to
help with marketing. And down the line, if MoviePass markets
a particular movie and boosts sales, it might like to claim
a cut of that increase, he said.
The amount by which the ticket sales at the box office increased as a
result of MoviePass's marketing of the movie over the amount that the
movie would have made without the marketing.
Wrong tense. In this usage "down the line" means "in the future".
So "this increase" is the amount by which sales *may increase*
as a result of this strategy.
--
Mark Brader | And the customary practice seems to be "FIRST,
Toronto | let the cat out of the bag; THEN inform you

Garrett Wollman
2017-09-24 00:43:42 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Post by fl
I cannot make 'that increase' out in below graph.
I was puzzled by this query because I did not see any graph, or a link
to one. I believe the original poster meant to say "paragraph".
Some people use "graf" as slang for "paragraph", but not everyone, and
I don't think the spelling "graph" is used for it.
Editing/newsroom slang tends to use words which are intentionally
misspelled, to make them stand out on third look,[1] in case editing
instructions are accidentally left in the text. Aside from "graf",
common newspaperish ones are "hed", "dek", "buro", "spox" (now escaped
into the wild), and "TK". Some of these may be crossovers from
telegraphic abbreviations.

-GAWollman

[1] Of course since the War on Editing, most news copy hasn't gotten a
second look, never mind a third look -- if it even gets a first look
rather than just being published immediately on the Web.
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
Horace LaBadie
Lede is still found.
Lewis
2017-09-24 16:15:46 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Mark Brader
Post by fl
I cannot make 'that increase' out in below graph.
I was puzzled by this query because I did not see any graph, or a link
to one. I believe the original poster meant to say "paragraph".
Some people use "graf" as slang for "paragraph", but not everyone, and
I don't think the spelling "graph" is used for it.
Editing/newsroom slang tends to use words which are intentionally
misspelled, to make them stand out on third look,[1] in case editing
instructions are accidentally left in the text. Aside from "graf",
common newspaperish ones are "hed", "dek", "buro", "spox" (now escaped
into the wild), and "TK". Some of these may be crossovers from
telegraphic abbreviations.
-GAWollman
Lede is still found.
Yes, I see lede often, and is in both the NOAD and the ODE included in
macOS, though marked as a US word.

lede | liːd | (also lead) noun US
the opening sentence or paragraph of a news article, summarizing the
most important aspects of the story: the lede has been rewritten and the
headline changed.

In the sample sentence I would be surprised to see 'lead'. Similarly,
one "buries the lede."
Yeah, and I never wanted to kick Albert Einstein in the nuts.
b***@shaw.ca
2017-09-25 05:57:19 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Mark Brader
Post by fl
I cannot make 'that increase' out in below graph.
I was puzzled by this query because I did not see any graph, or a link
to one. I believe the original poster meant to say "paragraph".
Some people use "graf" as slang for "paragraph", but not everyone, and
I don't think the spelling "graph" is used for it.
Editing/newsroom slang tends to use words which are intentionally
misspelled, to make them stand out on third look,[1] in case editing
instructions are accidentally left in the text. Aside from "graf",
common newspaperish ones are "hed", "dek", "buro", "spox" (now escaped
into the wild), and "TK". Some of these may be crossovers from
telegraphic abbreviations.
-GAWollman
Lede is still found.
Yes, I see lede often, and is in both the NOAD and the ODE included in
macOS, though marked as a US word.
It was still in use in newspapers when I retired about six years ago.
Post by Lewis
lede | liːd | (also lead) noun US
the opening sentence or paragraph of a news article, summarizing the
most important aspects of the story: the lede has been rewritten and the
headline changed.
My understanding was that "lede" was adopted for internal communications because "lead" can be ambiguous. I wasn't around when the usage was coined, so can't say with certainty.
Post by Lewis
In the sample sentence I would be surprised to see 'lead'. Similarly,
one "buries the lede."
When I was copy-editing, I would speak or type the word "lede" dozens of times per shift, and in my mind's eye, it was spelled l-e-d-e-. On major stories especially, the lede would get a lot of attention.

Writing (or rewriting) a good lede was one of the pleasures of the work.

bill

CDB
2017-09-23 07:12:36 UTC
Post by fl
I cannot make 'that increase' out in below graph. What is 'that increase'?
What graph?
Post by fl
Lowe insists the data won't be sold, but it will be used to help with
marketing. And down the line, if MoviePass markets a particular movie
and boosts sales, it might like to claim a cut of that increase, he
said.
It refers to "boost". To boost sales is to make them increase, which
would be expected to increase profits. Lowe might want a share of the
extra profits MoviePass had generated.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-09-23 08:14:33 UTC
Post by CDB
Post by fl
I cannot make 'that increase' out in below graph. What is 'that increase'?
What graph?
I don't remember where fl hails from, but I seem to recall that it's
China. Anyway, I think (s)he does a better job with English than I
could hope to do with Chinese.
athel
Dingbat
2017-09-23 11:55:13 UTC
Post by fl
Hi,
I cannot make 'that increase' out in below graph. What is 'that increase'?
Thanks,
Your sentence is incorrect. Try this:
I cannot make out what increase means in the para(graph) below.
Post by fl
Lowe insists the data won't be sold, but it will be used to help with marketing.
And down the line, if MoviePass markets a particular movie and boosts
sales, it might like to claim a cut of that increase, he said.
That means:
If MoviePass helps a particular movie bring in more money,
MoviePass might want a share of that "more money".

Comment:
MoviePass would need a contract guaranteeing it a share in order to be able
to have its claim met. An advertising agency can't claim a share of
increased profits due to their advertising; they get paid whether profits
increase or decrease, and if they increase, the owner of the revenue stream
keeps the increased profit. I don't know what a marketer like MoviePass
gets but whatever they get, they'd need a contract to claim the right to
get it.