Mixing "of" and "for"
Paul Carmichael
2017-05-05 10:54:56 UTC
Somebody that I know has a logo that goes "taking care OF your ideas as I do FOR my own"

I've mentioned that she might want to re-word it, but she says that some people have told
her it's fine. English is not her mother tongue.

What would be the opinion hereabouts?
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
bert
2017-05-05 11:14:54 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Somebody that I know has a logo that goes
"taking care OF your ideas as I do FOR my own"
I've mentioned that she might want to re-word it,
but she says that some people have told
her it's fine. English is not her mother tongue.
What would be the opinion hereabouts?
I think it's okay in that instance.
"What is it that you do FOR your own ideas, then?"
"I take care of them".
2017-05-06 01:57:37 UTC
Post by bert
Post by Paul Carmichael
"taking care OF your ideas as I do FOR my own"
I think it's okay in that instance.
Agreed.
Post by bert
"What is it that you do FOR your own ideas, then?"
"I take care of them".
That's one possible interpretation. But "for" also has meaning something
like "with regard to the case of", and I prefer to interpret the original
sentence as using that meaning. (For example: "Who do you call if there's
an emergency?" "For a medical emergency, an ambulace. For a fire, the
fire department...")

Changing the "for" to "of" is also possible, but I would prefer to just
omit the word altogether, and leave "do" to represent "take care of".
--
Mark Brader "After many years of teaching, you get to learn
Toronto quite a lot about how to design a better idiot."

2017-05-05 14:40:17 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Somebody that I know has a logo that goes "taking care OF your ideas as I do FOR my own"
I've mentioned that she might want to re-word it, but she says that some people have told
her it's fine. English is not her mother tongue.
What would be the opinion hereabouts?
You're right. "take care" takes "of," not "for." "care" takes "for," not "of," so confusion
is possible.
Don Phillipson
2017-05-05 15:28:51 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Somebody that I know has a logo that goes "taking care OF your ideas as I do FOR my own"
I've mentioned that she might want to re-word it, but she says that some
people have told her it's fine. English is not her mother tongue.
What would be the opinion hereabouts?
De minimis non curat lex.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Harrison Hill
LOL. "the law does not concern itself with trifles" :)
Paul Carmichael
2017-05-06 10:08:57 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
LOL. "the law does not concern itself with trifles" :)
I like trifle.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
b***@aol.com
2017-05-19 02:51:09 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Somebody that I know has a logo that goes "taking care OF your ideas as I do FOR my own"
I've mentioned that she might want to re-word it, but she says that some people have told
her it's fine. English is not her mother tongue.
What would be the opinion hereabouts?
Just "taking care OF your ideas as I do my own" (without the second
preposition) could be the best option.
Post by Paul Carmichael
--
Paul.