the 'and' that went missing
2018-06-12 02:59:48 UTC
1) I informed Harry, Pete, John.

2) I sent a letter to Harry, to Pete, to John.

3) I sent a letter to Harry, Pete, John.

Are these sentences grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?

Gratefully,
Navi
Jack
2018-06-12 03:51:30 UTC
1) I informed Harry, Pete, John.
2) I sent a letter to Harry, to Pete, to John.
3) I sent a letter to Harry, Pete, John.
Are these sentences grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?
It could happen, in an informal style. Telegraphic.
--
John
stop.
Richard Yates
Otherwise, all should have an "and" and the last comma is a piacere.
David Kleinecke
2018-06-12 04:39:14 UTC
Post by Jack
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) I informed Harry, Pete, John.
2) I sent a letter to Harry, to Pete, to John.
3) I sent a letter to Harry, Pete, John.
Are these sentences grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?
It could happen, in an informal style. Telegraphic.
The intonation would be as though you started to say
I informed Harry, Pete, John and Tim
and then abruptly stopped before "and".
Jerry Friedman
2018-06-12 07:40:40 UTC
1) I informed Harry, Pete, John.
2) I sent a letter to Harry, to Pete, to John.
3) I sent a letter to Harry, Pete, John.
Are these sentences grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?
Gratefully,
Navi
Yes and yes. In informal English, people often quote lists:

"I must buy tea, coffee, sugar. Is there anything else I need?"