What does the *will* mean?
Add Reply
Lazypierrot
2017-12-04 05:39:46 UTC
Hi!

I would like to know what the **will** in the following passage means. I wonder if it is used to make future tense. Or is it used to mean something that generally happens?

In a complex world with so many choices, we need good intuitions and smart shortcuts to make decisions. Even so, in the end we must accept that uncertainty **will** always be part of what it is to be human. When we deny ourselves the challenge of thinking critically, evaluating situations and making our own decisions, we are heading towards a future where people will lack the ability to think for themselves, and we will have surrendered to the machines we once built.

Cordially

LP
David Kleinecke
2017-12-04 06:06:15 UTC
Post by Lazypierrot
Hi!
I would like to know what the **will** in the following passage means. I wonder if it is used to make future tense. Or is it used to mean something that generally happens?
In a complex world with so many choices, we need good intuitions and smart shortcuts to make decisions. Even so, in the end we must accept that uncertainty **will** always be part of what it is to be human. When we deny ourselves the challenge of thinking critically, evaluating situations and making our own decisions, we are heading towards a future where people will lack the ability to think for themselves, and we will have surrendered to the machines we once built.
I think the answer is YES. It has both meanings and I
suspect that is not an ambiguity but an intended nuance.
bert
2017-12-04 09:11:39 UTC
Post by Lazypierrot
Hi!
I would like to know what the **will** in the following
passage means. I wonder if it is used to make future tense.
Or is it used to mean something that generally happens?
... we must accept that uncertainty **will** always be
part of what it is to be human. ...
When 'will' is combined like this with an 'always', I don't
think you can relate it to other usages of 'will' alone.
'Will always' is a condensation of 'is now, and always
will be', so both your suggested meanings are present.
2017-12-04 15:07:53 UTC
Post by bert
Post by Lazypierrot
Hi!
I would like to know what the **will** in the following
passage means. I wonder if it is used to make future tense.
Or is it used to mean something that generally happens?
... we must accept that uncertainty **will** always be
part of what it is to be human. ...
When 'will' is combined like this with an 'always', I don't
think you can relate it to other usages of 'will' alone.
'Will always' is a condensation of 'is now, and always
will be', so both your suggested meanings are present.
Except when the context says otherwise, as in "Once X happens, Y will
always be a possibility." But I agree that here it's "is and always
will be".
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2017-12-04 16:26:14 UTC
Sounds like something Arthur Schopenhauer woulda said.
Whiskers
2017-12-05 14:05:02 UTC
Post by Lazypierrot
Hi!
I would like to know what the **will** in the following passage means.
I wonder if it is used to make future tense. Or is it used to mean
something that generally happens?
In a complex world with so many choices, we need good intuitions and
smart shortcuts to make decisions. Even so, in the end we must accept
that uncertainty **will** always be part of what it is to be human.
When we deny ourselves the challenge of thinking critically,
evaluating situations and making our own decisions, we are heading
towards a future where people will lack the ability to think for
themselves, and we will have surrendered to the machines we once
built.
Cordially
LP
It's one word in a phrasal verb, "will always be". Think of it as the
Future Inevitable Tense of "be".
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
David Kleinecke
2017-12-05 18:48:32 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Lazypierrot
Hi!
I would like to know what the **will** in the following passage means.
I wonder if it is used to make future tense. Or is it used to mean
something that generally happens?
In a complex world with so many choices, we need good intuitions and
smart shortcuts to make decisions. Even so, in the end we must accept
that uncertainty **will** always be part of what it is to be human.
When we deny ourselves the challenge of thinking critically,
evaluating situations and making our own decisions, we are heading
towards a future where people will lack the ability to think for
themselves, and we will have surrendered to the machines we once
built.
It's one word in a phrasal verb, "will always be". Think of it as the
Future Inevitable Tense of "be".
It's not what is usually thought of as a phrasal verb (which
is things like "look up"). In fact I am not so sure it is even
an idiom -
will never be
will frequently be
will then be
will often be
. . .
Whiskers
2017-12-06 21:54:51 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Whiskers
Post by Lazypierrot
[...]
There'll always be an England ...
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Kerr-Mudd,John
2017-12-07 17:21:46 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Whiskers
Post by Lazypierrot
[...]
I thought some part of some queen was left in Calais. Or maybe vise
verca. I get confused easily (or is it easily confused? doh!)

Dingbat
2017-12-06 02:09:47 UTC
Post by Lazypierrot
Hi!
I would like to know what the **will** in the following passage means. I wonder if it is used to make future tense. Or is it used to mean something that generally happens?
In a complex world with so many choices, we need good intuitions and smart shortcuts to make decisions. Even so, in the end we must accept that uncertainty **will** always be part of what it is to be human. When we deny ourselves the challenge of thinking critically, evaluating situations and making our own decisions, we are heading towards a future where people will lack the ability to think for themselves, and we will have surrendered to the machines we once built.
Cordially
LP
Good question. Is there a difference between "Shit happens" and
"Shit will happen"?

At least one of them could be refer to something that has already
happened. Yet, neither of them is in past tense!
Lazypierrot
2017-12-06 03:38:07 UTC
I wonder if the usage of the *will* in question is different from the one
that is sadi to express general tendency as follows;

Boys will be boys.
Accidents will happen.

LP