Any word from Rey?
Dick Zantow
2017-10-09 22:42:29 UTC
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Mack A. Damia
2017-10-09 22:58:28 UTC
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 15:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Dick Zantow
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Sonoma County:

http://www.fire.ca.gov/fire_prevention/fhsz_maps_sonoma

http://www.fire.ca.gov/fire_prevention/fhsz_maps/FHSZ/sonoma/Santa_Rosa.pdf
Reinhold {Rey} Aman
2017-10-09 23:26:49 UTC
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.

There was a fire one mile east of my place, now extinguished.
I live about 8 miles south of northern Santa Rosa, where the
fires destroyed many hundreds of homes and businesses.

My daughter's home in S.R. is in the evacuation zone, but
she and her kitties are (still) okay and ready to come to me.

News reports:
<http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/>

42 photos of burning and destroyed homes, hotels, and businesses:
<http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7508078-181/santa-rosa-residents-return-to?gallery=7507969&artslide=0>
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-10-10 05:34:44 UTC
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.
That's good to know. They were showing the fires in Napa on television
today, but I hadn't realized how bad it also was in Santa Rosa.
Dick Zantow
2017-10-10 16:48:39 UTC
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.
There was a fire one mile east of my place, now extinguished.
I live about 8 miles south of northern Santa Rosa, where the
fires destroyed many hundreds of homes and businesses.
My daughter's home in S.R. is in the evacuation zone, but
she and her kitties are (still) okay and ready to come to me.
[...]
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
I'm glad to hear it. Floods and ice don't concern me much around here, and (until the frackers started up their business), earthquakes have been rare, but wildfires scare the bejabbers out of me. I'm surrounded by fairly tall trees and dry brush.
Harrison Hill
2017-10-10 18:14:06 UTC
Post by Dick Zantow
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
I'm glad to hear it. Floods and ice don't concern me much around here, and (until the frackers started up their business), earthquakes have been rare, but wildfires scare the bejabbers out of me. I'm surrounded by fairly tall trees and dry brush.
The vanity of allowing yourself to be surrounded by things that
might kill you and your family - and everything else that
you value - is a curious human trait.

Chop the trees down? Clear up the brush? Failing that, move to
somewhere where your family will be safe?
b***@shaw.ca
2017-10-10 18:55:16 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dick Zantow
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
I'm glad to hear it. Floods and ice don't concern me much around here, and (until the frackers started up their business), earthquakes have been rare, but wildfires scare the bejabbers out of me. I'm surrounded by fairly tall trees and dry brush.
The vanity of allowing yourself to be surrounded by things that
might kill you and your family - and everything else that
you value - is a curious human trait.
Chop the trees down? Clear up the brush? Failing that, move to
somewhere where your family will be safe?
The terrible fires that have plagued California, Australia and Western Canada the last few decades are bigger and more frequent than they used to be, for various reasons having to do with climate change. Building communities that interface with forests and brush is part of the problem, but it wasn't as big a part when they were built. Note the parallel between New Orleans and Houston. Warmer seas mean more powerful storms and more extensive flood plains.

2017-10-10 20:35:23 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dick Zantow
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
I'm glad to hear it. Floods and ice don't concern me much around here, and (until the frackers started up their business), earthquakes have been rare, but wildfires scare the bejabbers out of me. I'm surrounded by fairly tall trees and dry brush.
The vanity of allowing yourself to be surrounded by things that
might kill you and your family - and everything else that
you value - is a curious human trait.
Chop the trees down? Clear up the brush? Failing that, move to
somewhere where your family will be safe?
The terrible fires that have plagued California, Australia and Western
Canada the last few decades are bigger and more frequent than they
used to be, for various reasons having to do with climate change.
Not just that. Forests are designed to burn periodically and they are
not allowed to burn in areas where people build homes, so the trees get
bigger, the underbrush goes away, there's more kindling (dead leaves,
needles, branches) and eventually when the fire inevitably starts, it is
much worse than it should have been had it been a series of much smaller
fires over the course of years.
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Building communities that interface with forests and brush is part of
the problem, but it wasn't as big a part when they were built. Note
the parallel between New Orleans and Houston. Warmer seas mean more
powerful storms and more extensive flood plains.
The destruction of the wetlands that protected New Orleans and the lack
of care of the levies had a lot to do with the disastrous effects of
Katrina. I don't know as much about Houston, but the city was built on a
marsh, so I expect a lot of wetlands where destroyed which would worsen
the effects of flooding and storm surges.
2017-10-11 01:06:00 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dick Zantow
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.
There was a fire one mile east of my place, now extinguished. I
live about 8 miles south of northern Santa Rosa, where the
fires destroyed many hundreds of homes and businesses.
My daughter's home in S.R. is in the evacuation zone, but she
and her kitties are (still) okay and ready to come to me.
[...]
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Good news. Stay safe.
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dick Zantow
I'm glad to hear it. Floods and ice don't concern me much around
here, and (until the frackers started up their business),
earthquakes have been rare, but wildfires scare the bejabbers out
of me. I'm surrounded by fairly tall trees and dry brush.
The vanity of allowing yourself to be surrounded by things that
might kill you and your family - and everything else that you value
- is a curious human trait.
Chop the trees down? Clear up the brush? Failing that, move to
somewhere where your family will be safe?
Part of the problem is that we have chopped far too many trees down.
Burning fossil fuels is only part of the reason why CO2 has risen to
unacceptable levels.
Post by b***@shaw.ca
The terrible fires that have plagued California, Australia and
Western Canada the last few decades are bigger and more frequent than
they used to be, for various reasons having to do with climate
change. Building communities that interface with forests and brush is
part of the problem, but it wasn't as big a part when they were
built. Note the parallel between New Orleans and Houston. Warmer seas
mean more powerful storms and more extensive flood plains.
This is the first time, to my knowledge, that the California wildfire
season has overlapped the Australian bushfire season. This appears to be
because summer has become longer in both places, to the point where it
can be summer simultaneously in the northern and southern hemispheres.

Lack of winter rain hasn't helped, of course.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art hot and hard, and hardly welcome, Mate.
Rough winds will fan the fires, they say,
And summer's lease hath all too long a date.
2017-10-10 20:19:50 UTC
Post by Dick Zantow
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.
There was a fire one mile east of my place, now extinguished.
I live about 8 miles south of northern Santa Rosa, where the
fires destroyed many hundreds of homes and businesses.
My daughter's home in S.R. is in the evacuation zone, but
she and her kitties are (still) okay and ready to come to me.
[...]
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
I'm glad to hear it.
+1. Very glad to hear it.
Post by Dick Zantow
Floods and ice don't concern me much around here, and (until
the frackers started up their business), earthquakes have been
rare, but wildfires scare the bejabbers out of me.
Good luck!
Reinhold {Rey} Aman
2017-10-11 17:23:00 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Dick Zantow
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.
There was a fire one mile east of my place, now extinguished.
I live about 8 miles south of northern Santa Rosa, where the
fires destroyed many hundreds of homes and businesses.
My daughter's home in S.R. is in the evacuation zone, but
she and her kitties are (still) okay and ready to come to me.
I'm glad to hear it.
+1. Very glad to hear it.
Thank you, Katy and Dick and Athel.

New big fires are raging all around here.
I'm still okay, but my daughter's situation
is scary. This is what it looks like, as seen
from her front door:

~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-10-11 17:34:37 UTC
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Dick Zantow
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.
There was a fire one mile east of my place, now extinguished.
I live about 8 miles south of northern Santa Rosa, where the
fires destroyed many hundreds of homes and businesses.
My daughter's home in S.R. is in the evacuation zone, but
she and her kitties are (still) okay and ready to come to me.
I'm glad to hear it.
+1. Very glad to hear it.
Thank you, Katy and Dick and Athel.
New big fires are raging all around here.
I'm still okay, but my daughter's situation
is scary. This is what it looks like, as seen
<http://aman.members.sonic.net/Susan-fire.jpg>
Oh dear. I hope it doesn't get any closer to her.
LFS
2017-10-12 11:19:11 UTC
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Dick Zantow
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.
There was a fire one mile east of my place, now extinguished.
I live about 8 miles south of northern Santa Rosa, where the
fires destroyed many hundreds of homes and businesses.
My daughter's home in S.R. is in the evacuation zone, but
she and her kitties are (still) okay and ready to come to me.
I'm glad to hear it.
+1. Very glad to hear it.
Thank you, Katy and Dick and Athel.
New big fires are raging all around here.
I'm still okay, but my daughter's situation
is scary. This is what it looks like, as seen
<http://aman.members.sonic.net/Susan-fire.jpg>
That looks very scary indeed, I hope it doesn't get any closer to her.
Or to you.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Anders D. Nygaard
2017-10-14 15:15:20 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.
There was a fire one mile east of my place, now extinguished.
I live about 8 miles south of northern Santa Rosa, where the
fires destroyed many hundreds of homes and businesses.
My daughter's home in S.R. is in the evacuation zone, but
she and her kitties are (still) okay and ready to come to me.
I'm glad to hear it.
+1.  Very glad to hear it.
Thank you, Katy and Dick and Athel.
New big fires are raging all around here.
I'm still okay, but my daughter's situation
is scary. This is what it looks like, as seen
    <http://aman.members.sonic.net/Susan-fire.jpg>
That looks very scary indeed, I hope it doesn't get any closer to her.
Or to you.
Indeed. Also best of hopes for your safety from this side of the pond.

/Anders, Denmark
b***@aol.com
2017-10-12 14:53:10 UTC
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Dick Zantow
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.
There was a fire one mile east of my place, now extinguished.
I live about 8 miles south of northern Santa Rosa, where the
fires destroyed many hundreds of homes and businesses.
My daughter's home in S.R. is in the evacuation zone, but
she and her kitties are (still) okay and ready to come to me.
I'm glad to hear it.
+1. Very glad to hear it.
Thank you, Katy and Dick and Athel.
New big fires are raging all around here.
I'm still okay, but my daughter's situation
is scary. This is what it looks like, as seen
<http://aman.members.sonic.net/Susan-fire.jpg>
Dreadful, looks like someone forgot the roast in the oven!
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Jerry Friedman
2017-10-13 13:41:50 UTC
On 10/11/17 11:23 AM, Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
New big fires are raging all around here.
I'm still okay, but my daughter's situation
is scary. This is what it looks like, as seen
<http://aman.members.sonic.net/Susan-fire.jpg>
Horrible and all too familiar.
2017-10-13 08:22:22 UTC
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
Thanks much for your concern, Dick. I'm okay.
There was a fire one mile east of my place, now extinguished.
I live about 8 miles south of northern Santa Rosa, where the
fires destroyed many hundreds of homes and businesses.
My daughter's home in S.R. is in the evacuation zone, but
she and her kitties are (still) okay and ready to come to me.
<http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/>
<http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7508078-181/santa-rosa-residents-return-to?
gallery=7507969&artslide=0>

[sorry about leapfrogging]
For Tony:

I don't know if this is newsworthy in your part of the world,
but it seems quite likely that some,
and perhaps most of those fires have been ignited
by fallen overhead power wires.

There are secondary costs to choosing to live on the cheap,
in third world style,

Jan
Jitze
2017-10-14 23:14:50 UTC
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
After around a decade of absence from this forum, I suddenly thought about Dr Rey last night while I was watching the news about the fires up there (he lives an hour or two drive north of where I live)

So I came here to AUE to see if there were any signs of his activity - and YES! There he is - and apparently in fine fettle.

Is good...
Tony Cooper
2017-10-15 00:34:11 UTC
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:14:50 -0700 (PDT), Jitze
Post by Jitze
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
After around a decade of absence from this forum, I suddenly thought about Dr Rey last night while I was watching the news about the fires up there (he lives an hour or two drive north of where I live)
So I came here to AUE to see if there were any signs of his activity - and YES! There he is - and apparently in fine fettle.
Is good...
He seems to be fine, but I think he's getting a bit long in the tooth
to have much interest in fettling.
Reinhold {Rey} Aman
2017-10-15 01:48:37 UTC
Post by Jitze
After around a decade of absence from this forum, I suddenly
thought about Dr Rey last night while I was watching the news
about the fires up there (he lives an hour or two drive north
of where I live)
So I came here to AUE to see if there were any signs of his
activity - and YES! There he is - and apparently in fine fettle.
Is good...
He seems to be fine, but I think he's getting a bit long in the
tooth to have much interest in fettling.
Wrong, Mr. ED!

Just a week ago, I fettled the hell out of my young Mexican chick. We
fettle a lot. She keeps telling me that I'm the best fettler she's ever
fettled with. So there.

Vivat lingam, non resurgam!

~~~ Reinhold {Fettle-Meister} Aman ~~~
RH Draney
Fettled 'er right in the fetlocks, eh?...r
Mack A. Damia
Rey has a fuzzy fetish.
Ken Blake
I hope he doesn't fetter her when he fettles her.
Reinhold {Rey} Aman
2017-10-15 01:21:38 UTC
Post by Jitze
After around a decade of absence from this forum, I suddenly
thought about Dr Rey last night while I was watching the news
about the fires up there (he lives an hour or two drive north of
where I live)
So I came here to AUE to see if there were any signs of his
activity - and YES! There he is - and apparently in fine fettle.
Is good...
Hujambo, Jitze,

This is downright eerie! Just last night, around 10 p.m., I was poking
around in the old AUE website and looked at your photos, listened to you
explaining your name as pronounced in Dutch and English, and wondered
what was going on with you. And half a day later, here you are, out of nowhere!

Such eerie, telepathic (?) occurrences happen quite often to me. After
not having heard for months or years from acquaintances or friends and
thinking of them *intensely*, the next day or two I get a phone call or
e-mail from that very person!

That's eerie! Just three other examples:

(1) Two days ago, I thought *intensely* of my 88-year-old friend Bill
in North Carolina, from whom I had not heard in 6 months or so.
Yesterday he called me.
(2) On April 6, I thought *intensely* of my young friend Traudi in
Bavaria and got the inexplicable urge to google her. Two days later,
I received a long e-mail from her husband that Traudi had died on
*April 6* of breast cancer.
(3) It's been more than a year that I had heard from my friend
Oksana, a young Ukrainian professor of languages. Three days ago, I
wondered *intensely* how she and her new book were doing. Today, there
were a letter from her and a copy of her latest book in my mailbox....

Do such *eerie* telepathic (?) occurrences also happen to other AUEers?
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Mack A. Damia
2017-10-15 01:44:42 UTC
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 18:21:38 -0700, Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Jitze
[...]
That is genuine "synchronicity" as envisioned by Carl Jung.

May occur during times of stress.
Mack A. Damia
2017-10-15 02:45:53 UTC
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 19:17:21 -0700, Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Mack A. Damia
That is genuine "synchronicity" as envisioned by Carl Jung.
May occur during times of stress.
Excellent! Thank you. I read the Wiki article on synchronicity.
It is the constellation of an archetype, Rey, and is "psychoid" in
nature. That is the experience has both physical and psychological
aspects or characteristics to it.

Naysayers usually say that it is mere coincidence I experienced them
frequently when I was younger, not so much now.
Richard Yates
Coincidence plus confirmation bias. Nothing more.
Mack A. Damia
2017-10-15 15:28:06 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
That is genuine "synchronicity" as envisioned by Carl Jung.
May occur during times of stress.
Excellent! Thank you. I read the Wiki article on synchronicity.
It is the constellation of an archetype, Rey, and is "psychoid" in
nature. That is the experience has both physical and psychological
aspects or characteristics to it.
Naysayers usually say that it is mere coincidence I experienced them
frequently when I was younger, not so much now.
Coincidence plus confirmation bias. Nothing more.
The paranormal.

"Jung’s entire psychology has a profoundly holistic character, and his
concept of synchronicity has a fundamental role to play in supporting
this orientation. Synchronistic events disclose deep interconnections
between mind and body, between one person and another, between humans
and the natural world; even, it seems to some, between humans and a
reality transcending the ordinary empirical world. For the appearance
of corresponding patterns of meaning in contexts that, so far as we
are able to discern, are causally unconnected can suggest that there
is a superordinate level of reality that in some sense is unitary,
what Jung referred to by a term borrowed from alchemy: the unus mundus
or ‘one world.' "

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/connecting-coincidence/201703/energizing-jungs-ideas-about-synchronicity

I will be happy to review your research - published or not - on the
subject.
J. J. Lodder
2017-10-15 19:48:50 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
or Œone world.' "
Post by Mack A. Damia
I will be happy to review your research - published or not - on the
subject.
Rupert Sheldrake has been trying for 35+ years
to find some content for it that goes beyond the mere anecdotal,
with a marked lack of succes.

Can you do better?

Jan
Richard Yates
2017-10-16 02:18:33 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
I will be happy to review your research - published or not - on the
subject.
Rupert Sheldrake has been trying for 35+ years
to find some content for it that goes beyond the mere anecdotal,
with a marked lack of succes.
As did J.B. Rhine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Banks_Rhine.
He never could reproduce his own apparently positive results (that may
have been faked by assistants) and no one else ever did either.
J. J. Lodder
2017-10-16 08:40:17 UTC
Post by Richard Yates
Post by Mack A. Damia
I will be happy to review your research - published or not - on the
subject.
Rupert Sheldrake has been trying for 35+ years
to find some content for it that goes beyond the mere anecdotal,
with a marked lack of succes.
As did J.B. Rhine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Banks_Rhine.
He never could reproduce his own apparently positive results (that may
have been faked by assistants) and no one else ever did either.
Subsequent studies looking at Rhine's results have reproduced them,
and revealed the cause,
The positive results were caused by bias of scoring errors.
(not deliberate, but biassed nevertheless)
Positive ESP results were obtained more often
by experimenters who believed in the existence of ESP.

This even led to the second line defence by the believers
that ESP can manifest itself only in an atmosphere
that is sympathetic to it.

Skepticism drives it away, so...

Jan
Richard Yates
2017-10-16 02:22:16 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
Sorry, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The
burden is on anyone claiming that synchronicity exists to even
describe a way of investigating it, let alone collecting any
compelling data.
Mack A. Damia
2017-10-16 02:29:29 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
That is not an intellectually honest answer. There has been plenty of
research into synchronicity, and its existence has been verified.

Also - "CMPE" which stands for a Conjunction of Meaningfully Parallel
Events.
Richard Yates
2017-10-16 13:58:06 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
And so the insults begin... I am not aware of any such research and
you, who are making the claim, have provided none.
Mack A. Damia
2017-10-16 15:58:35 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
A bit touchy this morning, are we?

Not an insult. It is about your answer, not you. I did not call
"you" intellectually dishonest. It was about your answer.

I posted many references to Mr. Tobin's request.

Have you read Jung? Seriously?
Richard Yates
2017-10-16 17:13:15 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
So are you saying that it was your answer, and not you, that was
insulting?
Post by Mack A. Damia
I posted many references to Mr. Tobin's request.
None of which constitute extraordinary evidence.
Post by Mack A. Damia
Have you read Jung?
Yes.
Post by Mack A. Damia
Seriously?
Not after finding no evidentiary basis for most of his theory
spinning.
Mack A. Damia
2017-10-16 17:41:30 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
You don't appear to know the difference between an ad hominem attack
and attacking the "issue at hand". I attacked the issue.
Post by Richard Yates
Post by Mack A. Damia
I posted many references to Mr. Tobin's request.
None of which constitute extraordinary evidence.
Post by Mack A. Damia
Have you read Jung?
Yes.
Post by Mack A. Damia
Seriously?
Not after finding no evidentiary basis for most of his theory
spinning.
It is very difficult to argue with, much less convince, a
closed-minded person , but the fact is that your obstinate disbelief
means squat to legitimate scholars of human nature.
Richard Yates
2017-10-16 19:03:19 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
Nonsense. "Dishonest" cannot apply to an "issue", only to a person.
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by Richard Yates
Post by Mack A. Damia
I posted many references to Mr. Tobin's request.
None of which constitute extraordinary evidence.
Post by Mack A. Damia
Have you read Jung?
Yes.
Post by Mack A. Damia
Seriously?
Not after finding no evidentiary basis for most of his theory
spinning.
It is very difficult to argue with, much less convince, a
closed-minded person , but the fact is that your obstinate disbelief
means squat to legitimate scholars of human nature.
Jungian paranormal synchronicity is not about human nature; it is
about mystical forces presenting co-incidental events to us.

That we see some coincidences as more salient (noticeable/meaningful)
than others is a trivial observation. If that is all that the "field"
has been reduced to then they have clearly abandoned Jung except for
the term "synchronicity".

(I am sure that insult in your description "closed-minded" was
intended solely by the sentence itself and not by you. Is it of any
concern to you that your sentences seem to have intentions that you
are not aware of in yourself?)
Peter Moylan
2017-10-17 13:24:16 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Have you read Jung? Seriously?
In these days of scepticism about religion, Jung has fallen between the
cracks.
He is interesting historically, as an example of how mysticism
appealed to the less intelligent among us, but by now his theories are
obsolete.
Lanarcam
Matthew 11-25
CDB
Is that fifteen chapters or one verse?
Lanarcam
2017-10-17 14:31:38 UTC
Post by Lanarcam
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Mack A. Damia
Have you read Jung? Seriously?
In these days of scepticism about religion, Jung has fallen between the
cracks.
He is interesting historically, as an example of how mysticism appealed
to the less intelligent among us, but by now his theories are obsolete.
Matthew 11-25
Is that fifteen chapters or one verse?
One verse 11:25

"At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven
and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise
and learned, and revealed them to little children."
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-10-17 17:32:24 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Have you read Jung? Seriously?
In these days of scepticism about religion, Jung has fallen between the cracks.
He is interesting historically, as an example of how mysticism
appealed to the less intelligent among us, but by now his theories are
obsolete.
Maybe not quite as obsolete as Freud's.
2017-10-17 18:11:15 UTC
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 19:32:24 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Mack A. Damia
Have you read Jung? Seriously?
In these days of scepticism about religion, Jung has fallen between the cracks.
He is interesting historically, as an example of how mysticism
appealed to the less intelligent among us, but by now his theories are
obsolete.
Maybe not quite as obsolete as Freud's.
Many of Freud's early theories were much closer to what we now
understand to be the truth (variants of PTSD, anxiety disorders among
likely abused children, etc) but were shunned by Victorian
powers-that-be at the time. He articulated a lot of the theories then
that impact what we know now - "she may have been abused" to 'she's
neurotic and maybe wanted to be abused?" He was probably closer to
the truth than we like to admit.

A lot of Freudian principles are still built into psychodynamic
therapies, and whether they're right or wrong they tend to be as
effective as other therapy types. Most therapists now mix in other
schools of thought in the process, but psychoanalysis is still very
popular in mental health.
Richard Yates
2017-10-17 18:44:52 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Have you read Jung? Seriously?
In these days of scepticism about religion, Jung has fallen between the cracks.
He is interesting historically, as an example of how mysticism
appealed to the less intelligent among us, but by now his theories are
obsolete.
Maybe not quite as obsolete as Freud's.
True, but at least Freud extrapolated from too few subjects in a
highly non-random sample, while Jung extrapolated from his
imagination.

Richard Tobin
2017-10-16 14:35:37 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
That is not an intellectually honest answer. There has been plenty of
research into synchronicity, and its existence has been verified.
Do you have a reference for that?

2017-10-16 15:29:44 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Mack A. Damia
That is not an intellectually honest answer. There has been plenty of
research into synchronicity, and its existence has been verified.
Do you have a reference for that?
Read Carl Jung.

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_synchronicity05.htm

http://skeptiko.com/robert-perry-on-the-science-of-synchronicity/

http://www.nourfoundation.com/events/A-Scientific-Look-at-Synchronicity/The-Search-for-Meaning-in-Coincidence.html

http://www.crystalinks.com/synchronicity.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121213104230.htm

https://www.livescience.com/43105-synchronicity-definition-meaning.html

http://futurethinkers.org/kirby-surprise-synchronicity/
Richard Yates
2017-10-16 17:24:45 UTC
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 08:29:44 -0700, Mack A. Damia
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Mack A. Damia
That is not an intellectually honest answer. There has been plenty of
research into synchronicity, and its existence has been verified.
Do you have a reference for that?
Read Carl Jung.
https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_synchronicity05.htm
This only describes and provides neither evidence nor a sufficiently
testable definition.
Post by Mack A. Damia
http://skeptiko.com/robert-perry-on-the-science-of-synchronicity/
No distinction made between Jungian paranormal synchronicity and
"salient coincidences that we notice". No evidence there either.
Post by Mack A. Damia
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121213104230.htm
This is one has nothing at all to do with Jungian synchronicity. It is
about people synchronizing their movements when they interact.

You are flailing desperately for evidence if you serve this one up.
Post by Mack A. Damia
https://www.livescience.com/43105-synchronicity-definition-meaning.html
From that blog: "Jung's concept of synchronicity is complicated and
poorly defined, but can be boiled down to describing "meaningful
coincidences." The concept of synchronicity came to Jung during a
period of mental illness in the early 1900s."
Post by Mack A. Damia
http://futurethinkers.org/kirby-surprise-synchronicity/
Again, this is far from Jungian paranormal, mystical synchronicity. It
is about the trivial observation that some coincidences seem to be
more meaningful to people than others.

It is not at all about the universe arranging things specially for us
but simply about the ones that we notice. Yawn.
Peter Moylan
2017-10-17 13:06:36 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/connecting-coincidence/201703/energizing-jungs-ideas-about-synchronicity
A reference containing zero information.
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by Richard Yates
Post by Mack A. Damia
I will be happy to review your research - published or not - on the
subject.
Sorry, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The
burden is on anyone claiming that synchronicity exists to even
describe a way of investigating it, let alone collecting any
compelling data.
That is not an intellectually honest answer. There has been plenty of
research into synchronicity, and its existence has been verified.
But apparently none of it has been published in respectable journals.
2017-10-15 17:12:46 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
That is genuine "synchronicity" as envisioned by Carl Jung.
May occur during times of stress.
Excellent! Thank you. I read the Wiki article on synchronicity.
It is the constellation of an archetype, Rey, and is "psychoid" in
nature. That is the experience has both physical and psychological
aspects or characteristics to it.
Naysayers usually say that it is mere coincidence I experienced them
frequently when I was younger, not so much now.
Coincidence plus confirmation bias. Nothing more.
That's what I thought: we remember these occasions but not thousands of
others each day that have no significance. An example,

About ten years ago we were in Bordeaux for a reception, and to get to
where the food and drink was we went through the university library.
There were many thousands of books on the shelves, and I took one out
at random when we were in the psychology section, and it turned out to
be by someone we knew, the wife of a colleague in Brussels. If it had
been by someone whose name I didn't know I wouldn't remember.
2017-10-15 17:34:46 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
That is genuine "synchronicity" as envisioned by Carl Jung.
May occur during times of stress.
Excellent! Thank you. I read the Wiki article on synchronicity.
It is the constellation of an archetype, Rey, and is "psychoid" in
nature. That is the experience has both physical and psychological
aspects or characteristics to it.
Naysayers usually say that it is mere coincidence I experienced them
frequently when I was younger, not so much now.
Coincidence plus confirmation bias. Nothing more.
That's what I thought: we remember these occasions but not thousands of
others each day that have no significance. An example,
Doesn't make sense.

The point to synchronicity is that it has "significance". That's why
we notice it.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
About ten years ago we were in Bordeaux for a reception, and to get to
where the food and drink was we went through the university library.
There were many thousands of books on the shelves, and I took one out
at random when we were in the psychology section, and it turned out to
be by someone we knew, the wife of a colleague in Brussels. If it had
been by someone whose name I didn't know I wouldn't remember.
Probably not significant or an incidence of synchronicity unless you
had been thinking of this person beforehand - or, say, he phoned you
that evening.

I can open up many books in my field and find a reference to somebody
I know or knew.
Peter T. Daniels
2017-10-15 19:47:51 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
That _touching_ story would only be relevant to debunking "synchronicity" or
whatever you're trying to do if you made a habit of plucking a book off a
shelf every time you passed through a library and you'd never before plucked
one by someone you knew.

As it stands, it corroborates the Jungian claim, however disreputable the one
who introduced the topic.
LFS
2017-10-16 06:42:08 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
Isn't it something to do with our innate tendency to look for patterns?

Yesterday my husband and I went out for a walk. In a general
conversation about neighbours, I happened to think briefly of a couple
who we hadn't seen for about twenty five years. And, when we turned the
corner, there they were walking towards us. This coincidence was
unremarkable: it was pleasant to see them and we exchanged news of our
families but it did not prompt any further action.

I think that the important issue is the subsequent effect of such
coincidences and I have for a long time been looking for literature
which discusses this. Such occurrences can lead to positive outcomes (my
academic career would not have happened without a strange coincidence
concerning names) but I think they can also be negative. A book entitled
"Connecting with Coincidence" which claims to help the reader become
more aware of and to use coincidence turned out to be very disappointing.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Richard Yates
2017-10-16 13:53:03 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
The strongest coincidence I ever experienced was as I was reading a
book while the newscast was playing on the radio. We have all heard
the expression "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" but I
would think it is not at all common to actually hear or read it. (Once
a year? Who knows?)

As I was reading that phrase in the book, someone on the radio said it
in what was apparently exact synchronization with my reading. If you
take the incidence of reading it, multiplied by the incidence of
hearing it, at that level of synchrony, you get pretty impressive odds
against.

In another time and culture it might have been a conversion
experience. I always hesitate to relate the story as the god botherers
might vicariously appropriate it to bolster their superstitions, but
this audience is mostly immune, (I think).
Peter T. Daniels
Looks like you're the one that's bothering God.
Rich Ulrich
2017-10-16 20:06:41 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
"Looking for patterns" - and using them without being aware - is one
thing that happens. If you often hear from X around "this time of
year" or "at least once every 6 months", then X may be in the "back
of your mind" whenever the time is ripe. That is, you /do/ have
random thoughts about X, which you will forget and /never/ remember
unless you /do/ happen to get a call from X. "Why, I was thinking of
X just yesterday!" However, if you had written a list, yesterday, of
everyone you had had a thought about, you would not have listed X.
The event brings forth the "memory" which otherwise would have
never been consolidated. I think "consolidated" is a term used by the
people who study memory.
Rich Ulrich
Peter T. Daniels
2017-10-16 20:18:42 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
The best-studied example is the phonemes of natural language.
Post by Rich Ulrich
If you often hear from X around "this time of
year" or "at least once every 6 months", then X may be in the "back
of your mind" whenever the time is ripe. That is, you /do/ have
random thoughts about X, which you will forget and /never/ remember
unless you /do/ happen to get a call from X. "Why, I was thinking of
X just yesterday!" However, if you had written a list, yesterday, of
everyone you had had a thought about, you would not have listed X.
The event brings forth the "memory" which otherwise would have
never been consolidated. I think "consolidated" is a term used by the
people who study memory.
Recall that Damia also believes in something labeled "intelligence" that can be
"measured" on "IQ tests" and located on a "bell curve."
Harrison Hill
2017-10-15 17:27:00 UTC
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Jitze
[...]
May occur during times of bollocks. Jung psychoanalysed a
farmer who had dreamt of seeing "albumen" all over the room;
advising him (purely on the strength of that dream) never to
set foot out of his farm again.

Don't get me started on Freud and Adler :)
Mack A. Damia
I always thought of you as a Horney kind of guy.
LFS
2017-10-15 06:37:21 UTC
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Jitze
[...]
Happens to me quite often, no intense thought seems to be necessary.
The scariest occurrence was when I thought briefly about an old
boyfriend, having come across his brother's name online: the next day
said boyfriend appeared on our doorstep. Hadn't been in touch with him
for almost fifty years and still don't know how he tracked me down.

Very pleased to see Jitze again but not at all surprised: he had crossed
my mind when I was recently in touch with a Dutch friend...
Laura (emulate St George for email)
J. J. Lodder
2017-10-15 11:43:49 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Jitze
[...]
And genuinly Dutch (that is Frisian) he is.
The Couperus family has a wikipedia page of its own.
<https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couperus_(geslacht)>
(in Dutch only)

The page demolishes legends that the origin of the Couperus family
lies with an English or Scottish immigrant named Couper or Cowper.
(is dignified form of Dutch Cuiper/Cuyper/Kuiper instead)

Jitze is too young to be mentioned,

2017-10-15 11:43:48 UTC
On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 3:42:31 PM UTC-7, Dick Zantow wrote: > I
hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
After around a decade of absence from this forum, I suddenly thought about
Dr Rey last night while I was watching the news about the fires up there
(he lives an hour or two drive north of where I live)
So I came here to AUE to see if there were any signs of his activity - and
YES! There he is - and apparently in fine fettle.
Time flies, but not -that- fast.
You stopped being a regular poster here in 2013.

As for Rey's telepathy: I have been thinking I should mail you
on the continuation of a long dead technical discussion
about the evolution of controls in planes.
(from sticks to steering wheels to broken wheels to yokes,
and back to joysticks)
I found a picture from 1910 of a pioneering plane
which already had a steering wheel.

So the idea is almost as old as flight itself,

2017-10-15 12:29:52 UTC
Post by Jitze
Post by Dick Zantow
I hear about Santa Rosa burning wildly. Is Rey okay?
After around a decade of absence from this forum, I suddenly thought about Dr Rey last night while I was watching the news about the fires up there (he lives an hour or two drive north of where I live)
So I came here to AUE to see if there were any signs of his activity - and YES! There he is - and apparently in fine fettle.
Is good...
It is also good to see you back here.