inversion/ after A goes B
2017-11-18 04:49:26 UTC

2017-11-18 06:27:10 UTC
5) After A comes B.
6) After A B comes.
7) After A must come B.
8) After A B must come.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Gratefully,
Navi.
Oddly enough, I don't like any of the even forms.
6) and maybe 7) can be salvaged with a comma after "A",
but that's a special idiom for poetic or emphatic purposes.

2017-11-18 13:39:26 UTC
1) After John, Harry leaves.
2) After John, leaves Harry.
3) After John, Harry goes.
4) After John, goes Harry.
5) After A comes B.
6) After A B comes.
7) After A must come B.
8) After A B must come.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
(1)-(4) are incomprehensible. (5) and (7) are normal.
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-11-18 15:32:19 UTC
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 05:39:26 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
1) After John, Harry leaves.
2) After John, leaves Harry.
3) After John, Harry goes.
4) After John, goes Harry.
5) After A comes B.
6) After A B comes.
7) After A must come B.
8) After A B must come.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
(1)-(4) are incomprehensible. (5) and (7) are normal.
I agree in general.

(4) "After John, goes Harry"
could be a poetic version of
"John goes after Harry"
in the "pursues" sense of "goes after".

The context would need to make clear that that meaning was intended.
2017-11-18 17:45:28 UTC
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 05:39:26 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
1) After John, Harry leaves.
2) After John, leaves Harry.
3) After John, Harry goes.
4) After John, goes Harry.
5) After A comes B.
6) After A B comes.
7) After A must come B.
8) After A B must come.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
(1)-(4) are incomprehensible. (5) and (7) are normal.
I agree in general.
(4) "After John, goes Harry"
could be a poetic version of
"John goes after Harry"
in the "pursues" sense of "goes after".
The context would need to make clear that that meaning was intended.
Agreed. To make it clearer: "after John" makes no sense
temporally. It might be used locationally with enough
context:
Harry was next in line after John
But "go after" in the sense of pursue is the usual way to
understand it. And "go after" cannot be split.
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2017-11-18 17:49:47 UTC
1) After John, Harry leaves.
2) After John, leaves Harry.
3) After John, Harry goes.
4) After John, goes Harry.
5) After A comes B.
6) After A B comes.
7) After A must come B.
8) After A B must come.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Gratefully,
Navi.
The correct version is John leaves and Harry leaves.
They both wind up at the Blowjob Motel with Norman Bates in drag.

Any questions?
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
What's this film's rating anywho?
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-12-04 17:48:32 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) After John, Harry leaves.
2) After John, leaves Harry.
3) After John, Harry goes.
4) After John, goes Harry.
5) After A comes B.
6) After A B comes.
7) After A must come B.
8) After A B must come.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Gratefully,
Navi.
The correct version is John leaves and Harry leaves.
They both wind up at the Blowjob Motel with Norman Bates in drag.
Any questions?
What's this film's rating anywho?
Saying anywho is as bad as saying "where are we at?"
REALITY.EXE corrupt. Reboot universe (Y/N)?
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
It's called the "living language," son; and it's what and how I writes me English.
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-12-05 13:43:40 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) After John, Harry leaves.
2) After John, leaves Harry.
3) After John, Harry goes.
4) After John, goes Harry.
5) After A comes B.
6) After A B comes.
7) After A must come B.
8) After A B must come.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Gratefully,
Navi.
The correct version is John leaves and Harry leaves.
They both wind up at the Blowjob Motel with Norman Bates in drag.
Any questions?
What's this film's rating anywho?
Saying anywho is as bad as saying "where are we at?"
It's called the "living language," son; and it's what and how I writes me English.
You write American, not English.
--
There are two sides to every divorce:
Yours and the stupid idiot's.
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2017-12-05 15:37:19 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) After John, Harry leaves.
2) After John, leaves Harry.
3) After John, Harry goes.
4) After John, goes Harry.
5) After A comes B.
6) After A B comes.
7) After A must come B.
8) After A B must come.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Gratefully,
Navi.
The correct version is John leaves and Harry leaves.
They both wind up at the Blowjob Motel with Norman Bates in drag.
Any questions?
What's this film's rating anywho?
Saying anywho is as bad as saying "where are we at?"
It's called the "living language," son; and it's what and how I writes me English.
You write American, not English.
Maybe if you had a higher reading level you would know.
LOL
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-12-05 16:51:33 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
It's the Americans that can't read or write properly. They misspell/pronounce math, aluminum, stoopid, etc, etc.
Aristotle believed wind direction determined whether a baby would be a boy or a girl.
The Peeler
2017-12-05 20:53:08 UTC
On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 16:51:33 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
It's called the "living language," son; and it's what and how I writes me English.
You write American, not English.
Maybe if you had a higher reading level you would know.
LOL
It's the Americans that can't read or write properly. They
misspell/pronounce math, aluminum, stoopid, etc, etc.
Strangely, it's YOU who comes across as utterly stupid ...and in every
single post of yours, Birdbrain!
--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...
MID: <***@4ax.com>
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2017-12-06 14:28:55 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
That's the advanced part of the living language.
You folks on the tiny island don't understand.
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-12-06 17:10:33 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
There's nothing advanced about getting things wrong.
A Pakistani woman was sexually assaulted yesterday. Police are still trying to find a motive.
Peeler
2017-12-06 20:35:52 UTC
On Wed, 06 Dec 2017 17:10:33 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
That's the advanced part of the living language.
You folks on the tiny island don't understand.
There's nothing advanced about getting things wrong.
There's nothing advanced about being a retard like you, Birdbrain!
--
Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about his driving habits (no.2):
"Now you see, the proper way to soak somebody is to aim for the puddle from
MID: <***@red.lan>
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Like I said, the concept of a "living language" escapes you and your ilk.
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-12-08 22:39:00 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
It's a stupid concept.
--
Imagine you are a child in your mother's womb, can you detect light?
Only during ballet practice.
The Peeler
2017-12-08 23:08:19 UTC
On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 22:39:00 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Like I said, the concept of a "living language" escapes you and your ilk.
It's a stupid concept.
...says the village idiot. <BG>
--
More details from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange
world:
(Courtesy of Mr Pounder)
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-11-18 17:51:22 UTC
1) After John, Harry leaves.
2) After John, leaves Harry.
3) After John, Harry goes.
4) After John, goes Harry.
5) After A comes B.
6) After A B comes.
7) After A must come B.
8) After A B must come.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Gratefully,
Navi.
1 sounds better than 2.
2 sounds better than 4.
2 and 4 sound snobby.

5-8 sound like a porn film.
If you're bothered by a god-botherer, does that make you god?
Peeler
2017-11-18 20:19:58 UTC
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:51:22 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
Post by a***@gmail.com
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Gratefully,
Navi.
1 sounds better than 2.
2 sounds better than 4.
2 and 4 sound snobby.
5-8 sound like a porn film.
YOU, ALWAYS, sound like a complete idiot! Ah, well, you really ARE one!
--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) deep "thinking":
"If cyclists used their bikes naked, more people could get erections and we