Why is gluten BAD for me?
Add Reply
b***@gmail.com
2017-11-27 18:27:43 UTC
Why is gluten GOOD for me?

How come i can't find Cheerios with it Anymore?

Why isn't there a cereal that says "Now with Gluten"?
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-11-27 21:16:14 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Why is gluten GOOD for me?
How come i can't find Cheerios with it Anymore?
Why isn't there a cereal that says "Now with Gluten"?
Gluten is bad for some people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten#Adverse_reactions

It would cost them more if they had to make two versions of each cereal
product, one with gluten and one without.

It is simplest for cereal product makers to make them without gluten.
2017-11-27 23:31:13 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Why is gluten GOOD for me?
How come i can't find Cheerios with it Anymore?
Why isn't there a cereal that says "Now with Gluten"?
You're just not looking in the right places...you can buy cans of gluten
in any decent Chinese supermarket....r
Joy Beeson
2017-11-30 00:31:27 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Why is gluten GOOD for me?
It's a protein, and cam be made into various dishes. A high-lysine
protein should be taken with it.

You'll find bags of "vital wheat gluten" (gluten flour) in the
baking-supplies department, near the whole-grain flour.
--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii
2017-11-30 05:02:13 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Why is gluten GOOD for me?
How come i can't find Cheerios with it Anymore?
Why isn't there a cereal that says "Now with Gluten"?
I don't know. Could it be... seitan?
Some would say that saeitan isn't at all good; more downright evil.
r***@gmail.com
2017-11-30 15:32:04 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Why is gluten GOOD for me?
How come i can't find Cheerios with it Anymore?
Have you ever been able to find Cheerios with gluten? Cheerios are made from oats, which naturally don't contain much in the way of gluten.
Post by b***@gmail.com
Why isn't there a cereal that says "Now with Gluten"?
Avoiding gluten is something of a fad at the moment, and I expect General Mills figured they could take advantage of the fashion by altering the packaging of a product that has never contained gluten to have a prominent "gluten free" label. I know if I were in their marketing department I would. I have a friend with a genuine medical issue with gluten who has benefited greatly from this fad.

Robin
John Varela
2017-12-01 02:37:11 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Why isn't there a cereal that says "Now with Gluten"?
Avoiding gluten is something of a fad at the moment, and I expect General Mills figured they could take advantage of the fashion by altering the packaging of a product that has never contained gluten to have a prominent "gluten free" label.
Hell, I've seen a vinegar bottle labeled "gluten free".
John Varela
RH Draney
2017-12-01 05:51:44 UTC
Post by John Varela
Post by r***@gmail.com
Avoiding gluten is something of a fad at the moment, and I expect General Mills figured they could take advantage of the fashion by altering the packaging of a product that has never contained gluten to have a prominent "gluten free" label.
Hell, I've seen a vinegar bottle labeled "gluten free".
From the people who brought you "Peanut Butter! Now With No
Cholesterol!"...

(I used to delight in going around asking people if they'd ever seen a
peanut's liver)....r
Richard Tobin
2017-12-01 11:19:25 UTC
Post by John Varela
Post by r***@gmail.com
Avoiding gluten is something of a fad at the moment, and I expect
General Mills figured they could take advantage of the fashion by
altering the packaging of a product that has never contained
gluten to have a prominent "gluten free" label.
Hell, I've seen a vinegar bottle labeled "gluten free".
From the people who brought you "Peanut Butter! Now With No
Cholesterol!"...
"Frosties[1] - a low fat food and always has been"

[1] US Frosted Flakes I think.

2017-12-01 13:41:24 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
"Frosties[1] - a low fat food and always has been"
[1] US Frosted Flakes I think.
Formerly "Sugar Frosted Flakes"...similarly, "Golden Crisp" used to be
"Sugar Crisp", "Corn Pops" used to be "Sugar Pops", "Honey Smacks" used
to be "Sugar Smacks", and "Rice Krinkles" (now discontinued) started
life as "Sugar Krinkles"....r
Peter Moylan
2017-12-02 00:42:28 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
"Frosties[1] - a low fat food and always has been"
[1] US Frosted Flakes I think.
Formerly "Sugar Frosted Flakes"...similarly, "Golden Crisp" used to be
"Sugar Crisp", "Corn Pops" used to be "Sugar Pops", "Honey Smacks" used
to be "Sugar Smacks", and "Rice Krinkles" (now discontinued) started
life as "Sugar Krinkles"....r
My local supermarket seems to have the serial aisle sorted by degree of
unhealthiness. The sugary stuff is closest to the cash registers.
Mid-range is mid-aisle, and towards the other end you have the mueslis
and the bran and prune juice and so on.
2017-12-02 01:58:06 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
"Frosties[1] - a low fat food and always has been"
[1] US Frosted Flakes I think.
Formerly "Sugar Frosted Flakes"...similarly, "Golden Crisp" used to be
"Sugar Crisp", "Corn Pops" used to be "Sugar Pops", "Honey Smacks" used
to be "Sugar Smacks", and "Rice Krinkles" (now discontinued) started
life as "Sugar Krinkles"....r
My local supermarket seems to have the serial aisle sorted by degree of
unhealthiness. The sugary stuff is closest to the cash registers.
Mid-range is mid-aisle, and towards the other end you have the mueslis
and the bran and prune juice and so on.
Oops! At least I'm not a cereal offender.
Richard Yates
2017-12-02 05:17:08 UTC
On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 11:42:28 +1100, Peter Moylan
Post by Richard Tobin
"Frosties[1] - a low fat food and always has been"
[1] US Frosted Flakes I think.
Formerly "Sugar Frosted Flakes"...similarly, "Golden Crisp" used to be
"Sugar Crisp", "Corn Pops" used to be "Sugar Pops", "Honey Smacks" used
to be "Sugar Smacks", and "Rice Krinkles" (now discontinued) started
life as "Sugar Krinkles"....r
My local supermarket seems to have the serial aisle sorted by degree of
unhealthiness. The sugary stuff is closest to the cash registers.
Mid-range is mid-aisle, and towards the other end you have the mueslis
and the bran and prune juice and so on.
Like most American grocery stores, cereal shelving schemes here have
the brightly-colored and sugar-laden types at the eye level of
pre-schoolers and the brown, gritty and chewy ones higher up.
Cheryl
2017-12-02 16:09:13 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
"Frosties[1] - a low fat food and always has been"
[1] US Frosted Flakes I think.
Formerly "Sugar Frosted Flakes"...similarly, "Golden Crisp" used to be
"Sugar Crisp", "Corn Pops" used to be "Sugar Pops", "Honey Smacks" used
to be "Sugar Smacks", and "Rice Krinkles" (now discontinued) started
life as "Sugar Krinkles"....r
My local supermarket seems to have the serial aisle sorted by degree of
unhealthiness. The sugary stuff is closest to the cash registers.
Mid-range is mid-aisle, and towards the other end you have the mueslis
and the bran and prune juice and so on.
Like most American grocery stores, cereal shelving schemes here have
the brightly-colored and sugar-laden types at the eye level of
pre-schoolers and the brown, gritty and chewy ones higher up.
At least one of ours has the healthy stuff shelved under "adult
cereals", although an online site of another company includes some
rather child-type cereals by my mental classification system in this
category. Still, most of them are low- or no- sugar types, and include
offerings that are all or mostly bran and the kind of hot cereal you
actually cook, as opposed to the kind you just pour hot water on.

The online site I found doesn't include the large-flake oatmeal or the
Red River cereal I often buy, but in the real store, they're in the
adult section too.
--
Cheryl

---
Tak To
2017-12-02 19:49:31 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
"Frosties[1] - a low fat food and always has been"
[1] US Frosted Flakes I think.
Formerly "Sugar Frosted Flakes"...similarly, "Golden Crisp" used to be
"Sugar Crisp", "Corn Pops" used to be "Sugar Pops", "Honey Smacks" used
to be "Sugar Smacks", and "Rice Krinkles" (now discontinued) started
life as "Sugar Krinkles"....r
My local supermarket seems to have the serial aisle sorted by degree of
unhealthiness. The sugary stuff is closest to the cash registers.
Mid-range is mid-aisle, and towards the other end you have the mueslis
and the bran and prune juice and so on.
The supermarket closest to my house has the following arragement:
big box just-add-milk cereals are grouped by manufacturer into
3 big sections, respectively for Kellogg, General Mills and Post.
"Life", though made by Quaker and not the big three, is included.
Store-brand knock-offs are put next to original products through
out the 3 sections. The big 3 are flanked by a small section for
hot cereals on one side and another small section for "quasi-healthy"
stuff on the other. The last has big box "plain granola" cereals
(including Post's "Grape-Nut"), small pouch "alternate grain"
cereals, and granolar/grain bars.

A separate part of the store is devoted to the healthy/organic
(read "more expensive") stuffs. The cereal section there is
about half as wide as the big 3 combined. There are a lot of
Kashi products.

I think the arrangement is typical of larger, mid-market to
mid-up- stores that has a separate part devoted to the organic/healthy
stuffs.
Post by Richard Yates
Like most American grocery stores, cereal shelving schemes here have
the brightly-colored and sugar-laden types at the eye level of
pre-schoolers and the brown, gritty and chewy ones higher up.
I don't see an obvious shelf height-sugar content correlation
around here. All big cereal boxes are brightly colored. Toddlers
often sit in the seats which are part of the shopping carts so
their eye-level is only slightly lower than that of the adults.
Older kids influenced more by the ads on TV.
--
Tak
Tak To ***@alum.mit.eduxx
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2017-12-01 02:53:49 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Why is gluten GOOD for me?
How come i can't find Cheerios with it Anymore?
Why isn't there a cereal that says "Now with Gluten"?
Cereal is for children and pansies, sonny.
Eat like a man. That's wot I always say.