It's so frustrating dealing with newsgroups composed/comprised of x
harry newton
2017-10-12 05:04:48 UTC
Is it composed or comprised?
Or are they both correct?

Here is where it was just used:
"It's so frustrating dealing with iOS newsgroups composed of utter morons."
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/zE1OVZ5dAgAJ>
Tony Cooper
2017-10-12 05:56:22 UTC
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 05:04:48 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
Post by harry newton
Is it composed or comprised?
Or are they both correct?
"It's so frustrating dealing with iOS newsgroups composed of utter morons."
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/zE1OVZ5dAgAJ>
You are currently flooding another newsgroup (not the one linked
above) with posts about researching free apps. Your flood of posts
include myriad links to websites you've found, so you are clearly
capable of Googling for answers to your questions. Most of your posts
run for several screens of commentary, and much of that commentary is
unrelated to your topic. (e.g.: videos and tire balancing costs)

Your question above can be answered with a simple Google search. Type
in "composed of comprised of" as your search term.

Normally, I would provide the answer and a link to some supporting
source to a question like this. Not this time, though.
2017-10-12 06:14:18 UTC
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 05:04:48 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
Post by harry newton
Is it composed or comprised?
Or are they both correct?
"It's so frustrating dealing with iOS newsgroups composed of utter morons."
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/zE1OVZ5dAgAJ>
You are currently flooding another newsgroup (not the one linked
above) with posts about researching free apps. Your flood of posts
include myriad links to websites you've found, so you are clearly
capable of Googling for answers to your questions. Most of your posts
run for several screens of commentary, and much of that commentary is
unrelated to your topic. (e.g.: videos and tire balancing costs)
Your question above can be answered with a simple Google search. Type
in "composed of comprised of" as your search term.
Normally, I would provide the answer and a link to some supporting
source to a question like this. Not this time, though.
Thanks for that information, Tony. I had thought of answering the query
when I got around to it, though I did wonder why he didn't look it up:
it's easy enough to find out. Now I won't.
2017-10-12 14:14:58 UTC
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 05:04:48 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
Post by harry newton
Is it composed or comprised?
Or are they both correct?
"It's so frustrating dealing with iOS newsgroups composed of utter morons."
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/zE1OVZ5dAgAJ>
You are currently flooding another newsgroup (not the one linked
above) with posts about researching free apps. Your flood of posts
include myriad links to websites you've found,
I am curious Tony why you are protecting the ID of this other newsgroup
by not specifying it - if indeed that is your intention? (I know the
group in question which is related to your hobby.)
Tony Cooper
2017-10-12 14:57:16 UTC
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 05:04:48 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
Post by harry newton
Is it composed or comprised?
Or are they both correct?
"It's so frustrating dealing with iOS newsgroups composed of utter morons."
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/zE1OVZ5dAgAJ>
You are currently flooding another newsgroup (not the one linked
above) with posts about researching free apps. Your flood of posts
include myriad links to websites you've found,
I am curious Tony why you are protecting the ID of this other newsgroup
by not specifying it - if indeed that is your intention? (I know the
group in question which is related to your hobby.)
I'm not protecting the other group. There just didn't seem to be any
need to mention the name of it.

If you want to know, though, it's rec.photo.digital. The posts are
cross-posted to other groups so r.p.d. is just where I see them.

What are you going to do with this information? Go there and read
that flood of posts?
harry newton
2017-10-12 15:54:46 UTC
What are you going to do with this information? Go there and read
that flood of posts?
What occam prefers is idle meaningless chit chat because that's how his
brain is obviously wired (proof below).

Occam's innate inability to grasp detail is why he calls deep technical
questions a "flood of posts".

To wit, on the referenced newsgroup, I asked for the best freeware video
editor that handled redactions, having never edited video before. Many
suggestions were proposed, *all* of which were tested, with reports on
each, garnering pros and cons alike.

In the end, we solved a plethora of technical problems, all of which are,
apparently, far too complex for occam's brain to fathom.

Nonetheless, I list the outcome of the solutions below:
1. We learned how to record multi-ap wifi signal strength timelines
2. We learned iOS can't do it but that Android did so we worked on Android
3. We learned to record video on Android (no small feat for Android 4.3)
4. We learned to mount the entire Android file system on Windows over WiFi
5. We learned how to copy the files over the WiFi LAN with native tools
6. We learned what the best video freeware editor was (no small feat!)
7. We learned the pros and cons of that (and other video editing freeware)
8. We learned how to redact data & blur faces (again, no small feat)
9. We learned how to synchronize freeware audio onto the video track
10. We learned how to upload the results onto no-registration-binary sites

Sadly, all that learning was clearly too much for poor occam to handle.

Apparently learning is something occam is dead set against, because, as he
states in his own words, learning things entails a "flood" of data which is
completely incomprehensible to his feeble brain.
Dumb people complain that technhical detail is too complex to handle.
Tony Cooper
2017-10-12 16:27:12 UTC
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 15:54:46 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
Post by harry newton
Post by Tony Cooper
What are you going to do with this information? Go there and read
that flood of posts?
What occam prefers is idle meaningless chit chat because that's how his
brain is obviously wired (proof below).
Occam's innate inability to grasp detail is why he calls deep technical
questions a "flood of posts".
There's a delicious irony here that prompts me to add to a thread that
I had hoped would be dropped from a.u.e.

Newton reviles inability to grasp detail in a post, but fails
miserably in the ability to grasp the basic information of who wrote
what. Occam did not write about the "flood of posts". Someone else
did. Who could that be?

Admittedly, I'm not into video recording, but I recently did make a
video:

It's only the second or third attempt on my part to make and upload a
video. It was prompted by watching the antics of the squirrels in my
back yard co-opting my provision of food for the local avian
population.

The squirrels are more adept at solving the technical details of
successful food raids than Newton is solving the technical detail of
the "From" attribution.
Rich Ulrich
2017-10-12 18:15:22 UTC
http://youtu.be/4K9ifutr0Xo
It's only the second or third attempt on my part to make and upload a
video. It was prompted by watching the antics of the squirrels in my
back yard co-opting my provision of food for the local avian
population.
The squirrels are more adept at solving the technical details of
successful food raids than Newton is solving the technical detail of
the "From" attribution.
Another clever squirrel! Tony, the clip ends with more than six
minutes of black screen....

Two of the most enjoyable documentaries I ever watched were
the two BBC seasons on "Daylight Robbery" - featuring one year
and then the next year of showing the results of improving
designs for a squirrel-proof bird feeder. That is, improved designs
improved efforts and skills of grey squirrels who robbed them.

Google shows that at least some selections from that 1991-2 show
are available.
Rich Ulrich
Tony Cooper
2017-10-12 20:00:47 UTC
Post by harry newton
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]
I couldn't figure out how to get the video to end at the last frame,
which is a title frame. Newton is correct that I am incapable of
comprehending the technical aspects of video production.

If I put the same amount of interest into it that I have for still
photography post-processing, I could do better. But, this was a
spur-of-the-moment project for the entertainment of my grandsons. I
wasn't intending to post it anywhere.
Post by Rich Ulrich
Two of the most enjoyable documentaries I ever watched were
the two BBC seasons on "Daylight Robbery" - featuring one year
and then the next year of showing the results of improving
designs for a squirrel-proof bird feeder. That is, improved designs
improved efforts and skills of grey squirrels who robbed them.
I am quite impressed with the squirrels. Clever little beasts. While
the feeder is more than six feet off the ground, and ten or more feet
from the tree, they know when birdseed has been added.

In the middle of that video there's some frames of the squirrel
sitting on the power line and seemingly figuring out his next approach
after failing to get around the barrier. Absent a better way, he
returns to the balancing act and is finally successful.
2017-10-13 08:38:25 UTC
Post by harry newton
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]
That reminds me: I read some park ranger's comment
to the point that bears are more intelligent
than the average national park visitor
when it comes to opening supposeddly 'bear proof' garbage containers,

2017-10-16 06:48:21 UTC
J. J. Lodder suggested that ...
Post by harry newton
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]
They have more time to study them.

However, at least one type of 'bear proof' garbage container, used by
households in the San Bernadino mountains, requires a key to open. Or a
cutting torch.

Rule #0: Don't be on fire.
In case of fire, exit the building before tweeting about it.
(Sighting reported by Adam F)
Peter T. Daniels
2017-10-12 20:44:34 UTC
Post by harry newton
Post by Tony Cooper
What are you going to do with this information? Go there and read
that flood of posts?
What occam prefers is idle meaningless chit chat because that's how his
brain is obviously wired (proof below).
Occam's innate inability to grasp detail is why he calls deep technical
questions a "flood of posts".
To wit, on the referenced newsgroup,
Which is where that material should _stay_.

Instead, you infected this newsgroup with scores of messages about a "problem"
that was of no concern to anyone at all in this newsgroup. From the very first
message, there was no reason for it to have been posted to AUE _at all_.
occam
2017-10-12 16:07:13 UTC
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 05:04:48 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
Post by harry newton
Is it composed or comprised?
Or are they both correct?
"It's so frustrating dealing with iOS newsgroups composed of utter morons."
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/zE1OVZ5dAgAJ>
You are currently flooding another newsgroup (not the one linked
above) with posts about researching free apps. Your flood of posts
include myriad links to websites you've found,
I am curious Tony why you are protecting the ID of this other newsgroup
by not specifying it - if indeed that is your intention? (I know the
group in question which is related to your hobby.)
I'm not protecting the other group. There just didn't seem to be any
need to mention the name of it.
If you want to know, though, it's rec.photo.digital. The posts are
cross-posted to other groups so r.p.d. is just where I see them.
I was aware of the posts in r.p.d. I dip in from time to time. I am
sorry I asked, as it seems to have resulted in another tirade from the
nutcase, confusing me as the author of your post.
harry newton
2017-10-12 17:59:47 UTC
I was aware of the posts in r.p.d. I dip in from time to time. I am
sorry I asked, as it seems to have resulted in another tirade from the
nutcase, confusing me as the author of your post.
I publicly bow before you in abject and humble apologies.
You are correct.

I was dead wrong in assuming you were the person lacking in intellect who
apparently considers a fruitful technical discussion as a "flood" of posts.

It was Tony Cooper who was utterly incapable of grasping the detail of the
highly technical thread - where I openly admit the irony of myself falling
prey to the same imbecilic faults that Tony Cooper clearly suffers from.

Mea culpa.
Dan Jenkins
2017-10-12 12:27:19 UTC
Post by harry newton
Is it composed or comprised?
Or are they both correct?
"It's so frustrating dealing with iOS newsgroups composed of utter morons."
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/zE1OVZ5dAgAJ>
As far as I'm concerned, either choice is fine, composed or comprised.

To me, it's like who and whom where they currently mean the same thing in
common English usage.
Peter T. Daniels
2017-10-12 15:16:32 UTC
Post by Dan Jenkins
Post by harry newton
Is it composed or comprised?
Or are they both correct?
No, there are still a few places where "whom" is obligatory.
Ken Blake
2017-10-12 18:18:58 UTC
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:27:19 +0000 (UTC), Dan Jenkins
Post by Dan Jenkins
To me, it's like who and whom where they currently mean the same thing in
common English usage.
"Who" is often used where "whom" used to be required, but the reverse
is hardly ever true.

Knock, knock.
Whom is there?