The most common main language other than English spoken in England and Wales, anyone?
2017-10-11 18:07:04 UTC
...around 1 in every 13 people in England and Wales aged 3 and over
had a main language other than English. {What] was the most common
language after English with 1% of the population reporting it as
their main language?
pensive hamster
2017-10-11 18:46:47 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
...around 1 in every 13 people in England and Wales aged 3 and over
had a main language other than English. {What] was the most common
language after English with 1% of the population reporting it as
their main language?
Polish.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/language/articles/languageinenglandandwales/2013-03-04
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y74foe69
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-10-11 20:26:22 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Harrison Hill
...around 1 in every 13 people in England and Wales aged 3 and over
had a main language other than English. {What] was the most common
language after English with 1% of the population reporting it as
their main language?
Polish.
I'd be surprised if that were still true.
Whiskers
2017-10-11 22:17:45 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/language/articles/languageinenglandandwales/2013-03-04
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y74foe69
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Kerr-Mudd,John
2017-10-12 11:08:31 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Harrison Hill
...around 1 in every 13 people in England and Wales aged 3 and over
had a main language other than English. {What] was the most common
language after English with 1% of the population reporting it as
their main language?
Polish.
I'd be surprised if that were still true.
what date?
Post by pensive hamster
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/
language/articles/languageinenglandandwales/2013-03-04
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y74foe69
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Hindi/Urdu then Welsh (Cymraeg) would be my bet. Hmm the ONS seems to have
compounded Welsh into the English stat!
Whiskers
2017-10-12 13:04:23 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/
language/articles/languageinenglandandwales/2013-03-04
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y74foe69
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Hindi/Urdu then Welsh (Cymraeg) would be my bet. Hmm the ONS seems to have
compounded Welsh into the English stat!
I think the report just substitutes 'English, or Welsh in Wales' for
'English', even in contexts that clearly aren't 'in Wales'. Even in
Wales, Welsh is a minority language, and there can be few Welsh speakers
who aren't equally fluent in English.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Quinn C
2017-10-12 17:31:10 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by pensive hamster
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/
language/articles/languageinenglandandwales/2013-03-04
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y74foe69
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Hindi/Urdu then Welsh (Cymraeg) would be my bet. Hmm the ONS seems to have
compounded Welsh into the English stat!
I think the report just substitutes 'English, or Welsh in Wales' for
'English', even in contexts that clearly aren't 'in Wales'. Even in
Wales, Welsh is a minority language, and there can be few Welsh speakers
who aren't equally fluent in English.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England#Language> lists the data
from the page quoted above, but also gives the number of native
speakers of Welsh in England - as a tiny 8,248, less than 0.2% of
the population, so they can be ignored for statistical purposes.

The number of people in Wales who claim to speak Welsh is of
roughly the same magnitude as the number of Polish speakers in the
UK, but for many of them, it's probably not the main language.
--
... their average size remains so much smaller; so that the sum
total of food converted into thought by women can never equal
more than women. -- M.A. Hardaker in Popular Science (1881)
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-10-12 20:57:46 UTC
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:31:10 -0400, Quinn C
Post by Quinn C
Post by Whiskers
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
For many of those claiming to speak Welsh it is their first language
even if they have adequate English. There are so many L1 or fluent Welsh
speakers in Wales that I doubt whether many people would falsely claim
to be such, even in a census.

20+% of school children (primary and secondary/high school pupils)
attend Welsh medium schools (all subjects taught in Welsh).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_medium_education#Primary_Education

This shows the geographic distribution of Welsh speakers in Wales:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_language#Wales
2017-10-13 03:43:24 UTC
Post by Quinn C
Post by Whiskers
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
As far as I see, the question whether English or Welsh is your
first or main language isn't asked in the census. They ask for
level of knowledge of Welsh, which could be many things from "can
read, write and speak" to "can read and understand, but not speak"
and on to "not at all", and in my understanding, the 20% cover all
but the last answer.

The Labour Force Survey seems to ask the question for native
language and language spoken at home, but I didn't find any
results quickly.
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
20+% of school children (primary and secondary/high school pupils)
attend Welsh medium schools (all subjects taught in Welsh).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_medium_education#Primary_Education
Oh - that would let me expect a higher number in the statistics
discussed above.
--
The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts
agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer
Nathaniel Borenstein
b***@gmail.com
2017-10-12 16:57:45 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/language/articles/languageinenglandandwales/2013-03-04
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y74foe69
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
--
-- Whiskers
sounds like a joke —— with a bad punch line —— needs a little polish