not by check
2018-01-08 10:07:33 UTC
1) This is an expression used for transferring money not by check.
2) This is an expression used for transferring money without the use of checks.

3) One option is transferring money not by check.
4) One option is transferring money without the use of checks.

Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?

Gratefully,
Navi.
Harrison Hill
2018-01-08 11:54:47 UTC
1) This is an expression used for transferring money not by check.
2) This is an expression used for transferring money without the use of checks.
3) One option is transferring money not by check.
4) One option is transferring money without the use of checks.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
They all are. (1) & (3) are slightly unusual; all are becoming
obsolescent as the use of cheques (BrE) dies out.
Peter T. Daniels
(2), (4)
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-01-09 15:57:59 UTC
1) This is an expression used for transferring money not by check.
2) This is an expression used for transferring money without the use of checks.
3) One option is transferring money not by check.
4) One option is transferring money without the use of checks.
Which are grammatical?
All of them, more or less.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Which are idiomatic?
1 and 3 are weird. In 2 (and 1) what sort of "expression" are you
talking about?

I would probably write 4 as "One option is to transfer money without
using a cheque."
Navi.
2018-01-10 04:32:11 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Which are idiomatic?
1 and 3 are weird. In 2 (and 1) what sort of "expression" are you
talking about?
I would probably write 4 as "One option is to transfer money without
using a cheque."
Navi.
Thank you all very much,

The 'expression' is supposed to be a term, or a series of words.

Maybe 'electronic transfer' or 'e-transfer' or 'wiring'.
I am not sure such an expression really exists.

I did come across a sentence like '1' somewhere. I understood the meaning,
but found the sentence weird.

Gratefully,
Navi.