Joyce: to Mangan's steps
Marius Hancu
2017-04-18 21:28:40 UTC
Hello,

~~~
[Children at play]

If my uncle was seen turning the corner, we hid in the shadow until we
had seen him safely housed. Or if Mangan's sister came out on the
doorstep to call her brother in to his tea, we watched her from our
shadow peer up and down the street. We waited to see whether she would
remain or go in and, if she remained, we left our shadow and walked up
to Mangan's steps resignedly. She was waiting for us, her figure defined
by the light from the half-opened door. Her brother always teased her
before he obeyed, and I stood by the railings looking at her. Her dress
swung as she moved her body, and the soft rope of her hair tossed from
side to side.

James Joyce, Dubliners (Araby)
~~~

Re:
"we left our shadow and walked up to Mangan's steps"

"to Mangan's steps": in sync with Mangan, right?

Thanks.
Marius Hancu
q***@yahoo.com
2017-04-18 21:36:58 UTC
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 17:28:40 -0400, Marius Hancu
Post by Marius Hancu
Hello,
~~~
[...]
To the steps of his house.
John
Peter T. Daniels
Of course not. We walked up to the steps of Mangan's house.
Marius Hancu
2017-04-18 22:10:18 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
~~~
[...]
Thought about it; gave up on it.

Thanks, everyone.
Marius Hancu
Hen Hanna
2017-04-18 22:45:43 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
Hello,
~~~
[Children at play]
If my uncle was seen turning the corner, we hid in the shadow until we
had seen him safely housed. Or if Mangan's sister came out on the
doorstep to call her brother in to his tea, we watched her from our
shadow peer up and down the street. We waited to see whether she would
remain or go in and, if she remained, we left our shadow and walked up
to Mangan's steps resignedly. She was waiting for us,
her figure defined
by the light from the half-opened door.
like the pictures of Mary.

I think there is a similar description of Greta in The Dead.

HH
Hen Hanna
2017-04-20 04:40:09 UTC
Post by Marius Hancu
Hello,
~~~
[Children at play]
If my uncle was seen turning the corner, we hid in the shadow until we
had seen him safely housed. Or if Mangan's sister came out on the
doorstep to call her brother in to his tea, we watched her from our
shadow peer up and down the street. We waited to see whether she would
remain or go in and, if she remained, we left our shadow and walked up
to Mangan's steps resignedly. She was waiting for us, her figure defined
by the light from the half-opened door. Her brother always teased her
before he obeyed, and I stood by the railings looking at her. Her dress
swung as she moved her body, and the soft rope of her hair tossed from
side to side.
James Joyce, Dubliners (Araby)
[we had dinner at Mangan's] means
[we had dinner at the Mangan household]

we left our shadow and walked up to Mangan's steps resignedly.

we walked up to the steps of Mangan's house
or
we walked up to Mangan's house's steps
or
we walked up to Mangan's's steps

I'm picturing maybe 5-10 steps up to the door, is this right?

HH
bill van
2017-04-20 06:07:00 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Marius Hancu
Hello,
~~~
[...]
Someone who knows Dublin should reply to this. In my mind, I see homes
several hundred years old, with two or three steps leading up to the
front door.

I doubt it. It's Joyce. He's almost certainly in Dublin, where many of
the buildings are likely hundreds of years old.
2017-04-20 11:17:09 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Marius Hancu
Hello,
~~~
[...]
Here are a few images of Gergian era houses in Dublin:

There are steps leading up to the front doors.

There are railings in front of the house. There is a gate in the
railings with steps behind it, parallel to the road, going down to a
door into the basement.
2017-04-20 11:38:42 UTC
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 12:17:09 +0100, "Peter Duncanson [BrE]"
...Georgian...
John Dunlop
2017-04-20 11:59:59 UTC
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 12:17:09 +0100, "Peter Duncanson [BrE]"
...Georgian...
I read it first as "German". For a brief moment I thought *The Man in
the High Castle* had come true.
John
Marius Hancu
2017-04-20 11:41:23 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Marius Hancu
~~~
[Children at play]
If my uncle was seen turning the corner, we hid in the shadow until we
had seen him safely housed. Or if Mangan's sister came out on the
doorstep to call her brother in to his tea, we watched her from our
shadow peer up and down the street. We waited to see whether she would
remain or go in and, if she remained, we left our shadow and walked up
to Mangan's steps resignedly. She was waiting for us, her figure defined
by the light from the half-opened door. Her brother always teased her
before he obeyed, and I stood by the railings looking at her. Her dress
swung as she moved her body, and the soft rope of her hair tossed from
side to side.
James Joyce, Dubliners (Araby)
[we had dinner at Mangan's] means
[we had dinner at the Mangan household]