Moving cells in MS Excel 2007
Add Reply
EZ
2017-04-16 13:11:59 UTC
Hi All

I need your help.

My big MS Excel 2007 file now has only column A.
The column contains the following cells:
A1: question_1
A2: answer_1
A3: question_2
A4: answer_2
A5: question_3
A6: answer_3
and so on.

I need to have the file as follows:
A1 : question_1 B1: answer_1
A2 : question_2 B2: answer_2
A3 : question_3 B3: answer_3
and so on.

How to do it automatically?

I'll be very grateful for your help.

Regards
EZ
EZ
2017-04-16 13:13:54 UTC
Post by EZ
Hi All
I need your help.
My big MS Excel 2007 file now has only column A.
A1: question_1
A2: answer_1
A3: question_2
A4: answer_2
A5: question_3
A6: answer_3
and so on.
A1 : question_1 B1: answer_1
A2 : question_2 B2: answer_2
A3 : question_3 B3: answer_3
and so on.
How to do it automatically?
I'll be very grateful for your help.
Regards
EZ
Sorry, not a proper group.

Regards
EZ
musika
2017-04-16 14:10:40 UTC
Post by EZ
Post by EZ
Hi All
I need your help.
My big MS Excel 2007 file now has only column A.
A1: question_1
A2: answer_1
A3: question_2
A4: answer_2
A5: question_3
A6: answer_3
and so on.
A1 : question_1 B1: answer_1
A2 : question_2 B2: answer_2
A3 : question_3 B3: answer_3
and so on.
How to do it automatically?
I'll be very grateful for your help.
Regards
EZ
Sorry, not a proper group.
It is a proper group but not *THE* proper group <smile>

Try the answer from Domenic on this page.
<https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/463546-moving-data-every-second-row-accross-one-cell-then-up-one-cell.html>
--
Ray
UK
Harrison Hill
2017-04-16 18:11:54 UTC
Post by EZ
Hi All
I need your help.
My big MS Excel 2007 file now has only column A.
A1: question_1
A2: answer_1
A3: question_2
A4: answer_2
A5: question_3
A6: answer_3
and so on.
A1 : question_1 B1: answer_1
A2 : question_2 B2: answer_2
A3 : question_3 B3: answer_3
and so on.
How to do it automatically?
I'll be very grateful for your help.
Regards
EZ
You need to mark the rows to keep and the rows to delete.
Put =TRUE() in B1. Into B2 put IF(B1,FALSE,TRUE) and use the
fill-handle to copy that formula to the bottom of the ROW.
That should give you TRUE on every odd-numbered row, FALSE on
the even numbers. Highlight Column(B) then Copy; PasteValues, and
your "Sort" column is created.

In C1 put =A2, and copy that (using the fill-handle again) down
to the bottom. Highlight Column(C); Copy; PasteValues.

Insert a Row at the top. you should be learning about databases.
A database needs Column Headers. Into the new A1 write the column
heading "Question", and in B2 the column heading "Answer".

Find the Sort icon and Sort on Column B. Delete the rows showing
FALSE in Column(B) then delete Column(B) :)
Harrison Hill
2017-04-16 19:53:16 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by EZ
[...]
Correcting:
Para 1: "...to copy that formula to the bottom ROW of the COLUMN".
"Highlight Column(B) then Copy; PasteSpecial, Values, and
your "Sort" column is created".

Para 2: (likewise). "Highlight Column(C) then Copy; PasteSpecial,
Values".