What do you call a building with upper floors overhanging lower ones?
2017-12-01 05:34:20 UTC
What do you call a building with upper floors overhanging lower ones?

Jettied?
Cantilevered?
Corbeled?

Slovak Radio Building - multistory with every higher floor overhanging its
lower floor:
2017-12-01 06:01:15 UTC
https://media.architecturaldigest.com/photos/5907a7d8ca0b76474b000f2e/master/w_640,c_limit/Ugliest%2520Skyscrapers%2520in%2520the%2520World%252014.jpg
An inverted pyramid (building).
Dingbat
2017-12-01 07:01:59 UTC
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by Dingbat
What do you call a building with upper floors overhanging lower ones?
Jettied?
Cantilevered?
Corbeled?
Slovak Radio Building - multistory with every higher floor overhanging
https://media.architecturaldigest.com/photos/5907a7d8ca0b76474b000f2e/master/w_640,c_limit/Ugliest%2520Skyscrapers%2520in%2520the%2520World%252014.jpg
An inverted pyramid (building).
This one.

... and this one (a library at UCSD):

Not every building with overhanging floors is shaped like an inverted
pyramid.
J. J. Lodder
2017-12-01 11:04:28 UTC
Post by Dingbat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Geisel_Library,_UCSD.jpg
Not every building with overhanging floors is shaped like an inverted
pyramid.
This a more conventional counterexample
You can even have a cantilevered swimming pool
which gives an entirely new interpretation of 'free horizon',

2017-12-01 12:30:29 UTC
You can even have a cantilevered swimming pool
<http://i.imgur.com/FdMWU.jpg>
which gives an entirely new interpretation of 'free horizon',
Ditto 'en plein air'. (Is that swimming pool open or covered?)
J. J. Lodder
2017-12-01 20:50:02 UTC
You can even have a cantilevered swimming pool
<http://i.imgur.com/FdMWU.jpg>
which gives an entirely new interpretation of 'free horizon',
Ditto 'en plein air'. (Is that swimming pool open or covered?)
It's open. There isn't much need for covering in Spain,
and it doesn't look like many leaves will blow in.
The building is called 'The Hemeroscopium House'.
(supposedly from Greek, 'the place where the sun sets')

Surprisingly, it took only seven days to build.
(after a year of prefabricating the elements)
There are time lapse videos on the web,

Jan
Ross
2017-12-01 23:07:49 UTC
You can even have a cantilevered swimming pool
<http://i.imgur.com/FdMWU.jpg>
which gives an entirely new interpretation of 'free horizon',
Ditto 'en plein air'. (Is that swimming pool open or covered?)
It's open. There isn't much need for covering in Spain,
and it doesn't look like many leaves will blow in.
The building is called 'The Hemeroscopium House'.
(supposedly from Greek, 'the place where the sun sets')
Hm. Looks like it could be literally (Greco-Latin) '[place for]
watching the day', which I guess is not too far from 'watching
the day end'. (My little Greek dictionary actually has, with
a different suffix, ἡμερο-σκόπος /he:mero-skópos/ 'watching by
day; a day-watcher', for what that's worth.)
Peter Moylan
2017-12-02 01:20:31 UTC
You can even have a cantilevered swimming pool
<http://i.imgur.com/FdMWU.jpg>
which gives an entirely new interpretation of 'free horizon',
I thought you were going to point to something like this

<URL:https://www.businessinsider.com.au/viral-video-42-floor-high-glass-bottomed-swimming-pool-houston-texas-2017-4?r=US&IR=T>

https://tinyurl.com/y8daoq7f

It would terrify me to swim in one of those. It's bad enough swimming
out over the edge of a reef.
2017-12-01 11:31:42 UTC
Post by b***@aol.com
Post by Dingbat
What do you call a building with upper floors overhanging lower ones?
Jettied?
Cantilevered?
Corbeled?
Slovak Radio Building - multistory with every higher floor overhanging its
https://media.architecturaldigest.com/photos/5907a7d8ca0b76474b000f2e/master/w_640,c_limit/Ugliest%2520Skyscrapers%2520in%2520the%2520World%252014.jpg
An inverted pyramid (building).
If it's a building along a main street we call it a butterwalk.
Umbrella structure?
Peter T. Daniels
Cantilevered.
John Varela
2017-12-03 18:01:20 UTC
It depends on what type of building it is.

<https://www.google.com/search?q=garrison+colonial+style+house&ie=ut
f-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&
gws_rd=ssl>
John Varela
J. J. Lodder
2017-12-03 20:52:49 UTC
Post by John Varela
It depends on what type of building it is.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=garrison+colonial+style+house&ie=ut
f-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&
gws_rd=ssl>
Well, 'colonial' is the oldest you have got, over there.
In Medieval European cities overhang was the rule
rather than the exception.
Conditions often became crowded within the city walls
and free building space became non-existent, so....

In the USA it became merely a style of building,

Jan

Some pituresque examples in
<https://www.france-voyage.com/frankrijk-foto-s/foto-s-kaysersberg-336.htm>
(Alsace, nowadays in France)
s***@gmail.com
2017-12-04 19:30:25 UTC
Post by John Varela
It depends on what type of building it is.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=garrison+colonial+style+house&ie=ut
f-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&
gws_rd=ssl>
I take it you did your search while using a firefox browser?