What are dive bars...
Add Reply
b***@gmail.com
2018-08-07 20:33:42 UTC
What are dive bars, and has the pejorative definition changed Recently?

And what are pop up stores and bars, and what is their definition?
Tony Cooper
2018-08-07 21:38:08 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
What are dive bars, and has the pejorative definition changed Recently?
For me, it depends on whether I'm in Daytona Beach or in the Keys.
Post by b***@gmail.com
And what are pop up stores and bars, and what is their definition?
A business operating temporarily in a space that does not have a
long-term lessee. The building owner has rented the space on a
short-term basis to someone who is not looking for a long-term rental
arrangement.
John Varela
2018-08-09 01:14:18 UTC
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 21:38:08 UTC, Tony Cooper
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by b***@gmail.com
What are dive bars, and has the pejorative definition changed Recently?
There are multiple definitions. Many of them seem to be out of
date.

lmgtfy.com/?q=dive+bar
John Varela
B***@37.com
that's funny cuz I had a sneaky suspicion they were all dive bars
Ross
2018-08-08 00:59:06 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
What are dive bars, and has the pejorative definition changed Recently?
"Dive" for a low-class drinking place is old (19th century), and may
originally have referred to a place that was physically below street level.
"Dive bar" seems to be more recent; it is now apparently used of places
that affect a certain style, but are otherwise reputable. Hipster usage?

(Or, as Tony suggests, could just mean a bar where divers hang out.)
Post by b***@gmail.com
And what are pop up stores and bars, and what is their definition?
There are pop-up lots of things, and (to broaden Tony's description)
not necessarily occupying existing premises. They may occupy their own
temporary structure. The common feature is temporariety (?).
Rich Ulrich
2018-08-08 03:00:58 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
And what are pop up stores and bars, and what is their definition?
There are pop-up lots of things, and (to broaden Tony's description)
not necessarily occupying existing premises. They may occupy their own
temporary structure. The common feature is temporariety (?).
I don't remember seeing any pop up stores in the last couple of
years, but I might have stopped noticing.

Pop up /bars/, however, seem exceedingly unlikely for Pa.,
because of licensing restrictions. Plus, I'm not aware that any
states hand out those licences on request.

For regular bars or restaurants that intend to serve liquor here,
there will be a sign posted at the site for, I guess, a month or
two before the date - so that citizens have a chance to object.

When I was in Clovis, New Mexico, 50 years ago, there were
a fixed number of licences in the whole city. To get your new licence,
you got on a list and waited for places to close ... or to lose their
licences owing to liquor violations. Going to the end of the line
when you lost your licence was a stiff enough penalty that the
bars in Clovis were very strict about not-serving minors. So I
was told by the friendly bartender who refused to serve me.
Rich Ulrich
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-08-08 13:34:14 UTC
[ ... ]
When I was in Clovis, New Mexico, 50 years ago, there were
a fixed number of licences in the whole city. To get your new licence,
you got on a list and waited for places to close ... or to lose their
licences owing to liquor violations. Going to the end of the line
when you lost your licence was a stiff enough penalty that the
bars in Clovis were very strict about not-serving minors. So I
was told by the friendly bartender who refused to serve me.
You probably didn't meet any survivors of the Clovis culture, but did
you find any Clovis points?
2018-08-08 11:21:46 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
And what are pop up stores and bars, and what is their definition?
There are pop-up lots of things, and (to broaden Tony's description)
not necessarily occupying existing premises. They may occupy their own
temporary structure. The common feature is temporariety (?).
temporariness (amazingly, recognised by my spellchecker!)