"I now compiled"
2017-10-10 19:06:48 UTC
I now compiled some lists from a dictionary.
You want "I have now compiled" or "I just compiled" or "I compiled" or
other possibilities, but not "I now compiled".
Why is that so?

The pattern "I now *ed" can be found:

"I now remained with him till the chaise came"

"Shirley" - Charlotte Bronte

"I now inquired for him again"

"Bleak House" - Charles Dickens

"I now abandoned my Books"

"The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling" - Henry Fielding

(and many other incidences). So it must be a wrong meaning?
Horace LaBadie
2017-10-10 19:54:50 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
I now compiled some lists from a dictionary.
You want "I have now compiled" or "I just compiled" or "I compiled" or
other possibilities, but not "I now compiled".
Why is that so?
"I now remained with him till the chaise came"
"Shirley" - Charlotte Bronte
"I now inquired for him again"
"Bleak House" - Charles Dickens
"I now abandoned my Books"
"The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling" - Henry Fielding
(and many other incidences). So it must be a wrong meaning?
"I now compiled" works only during narration. All your examples are of
narrations of a series of events.
Jerry Friedman
2017-10-10 22:03:38 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Stefan Ram
I now compiled some lists from a dictionary.
You want "I have now compiled" or "I just compiled" or "I compiled" or
other possibilities, but not "I now compiled".
Why is that so?
"I now remained with him till the chaise came"
"Shirley" - Charlotte Bronte
"I now inquired for him again"
"Bleak House" - Charles Dickens
"I now abandoned my Books"
"The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling" - Henry Fielding
(and many other incidences). So it must be a wrong meaning?
"I now compiled" works only during narration. All your examples are of
narrations of a series of events.
And in them "now" means "then"; it's "now" from the point of view of
that past time. That's a specialized use of "now" with the past tense.

There's an idiom "just now", meaning "a moment ago". Other ways you
could have expressed your meaning include "Just now I compiled a
list from a dictionary" and "I compiled a list from a dictionary
just now."
2017-10-10 20:29:21 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
I now compiled some lists from a dictionary.
You want "I have now compiled" or "I just compiled" or "I compiled" or
other possibilities, but not "I now compiled".
Why is that so?
I don't know, but I agree with Jerry. I'd add "I have compiled" to the
list of acceptable phrasings.
Yep, but somehow it doesn't work in this case. I doesn't work in "I now
completed" either which needs to be "I have now completed" or "I now
have completed".
Post by Stefan Ram
"I now remained with him till the chaise came"
"Shirley" - Charlotte Bronte
And I'd say that sounds very old-fashioned now.
Post by Stefan Ram
"I now inquired for him again" "Bleak House" - Charles Dickens
"I now abandoned my Books" "The History of Tom Jones, a
Foundling" - Henry Fielding
Those seem ok.
(?i)\b((?:https?://|www\d{0,3}[.]|[a-z0-9.\-]+[.][a-z]{2,4}/)(?:[^\s()<>]+|\(([^\s()<>]+|(\([^\s()<>]+\)))*\))+(?:\(([^\s()<>]+|(\([^\s()<>]+\)))*\)|[^\s`!()\[\]{};:'".,<>?«»“”‘’]))
Peter Moylan
2017-10-11 01:22:45 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
"I now inquired for him again" "Bleak House" - Charles Dickens
"I now abandoned my Books" "The History of Tom Jones, a
Foundling" - Henry Fielding
Those seem ok.
All four sound old-fashioned to me. Modern writers would use "then".

In any case, this is a different use of "now" than the one in "I now
compiled a list".