The Prodigal Tongue
2018-07-10 19:15:38 UTC
I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
it here, then *I* recommend it.

"The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
British English" by Lynne Murphy.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-11 08:15:37 UTC
I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
it here, then *I* recommend it.
"The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
British English" by Lynne Murphy.
I haven't read her book, but I follow her blog in a desultory fashion:

https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/
John Dunlop
2018-07-11 08:24:12 UTC
I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
it here, then *I* recommend it.
"The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
British English" by Lynne Murphy.
Thanks for reminding me. I've added it to my list.

Her blog is always interesting, though it hasn't been updated much recently:

https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/
John
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-11 13:00:08 UTC
Post by John Dunlop
Post by Ken Blake
I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
it here, then *I* recommend it.
"The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
British English" by Lynne Murphy.
Thanks for reminding me. I've added it to my list.
https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/
Yes, but she explains that (work on the book squeezed out other
activities). I expect she'll come back.
You're welcome.
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-07-11 17:23:00 UTC
I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
it here, then *I* recommend it.
"The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
British English" by Lynne Murphy.
Written by a bucktoothed, pasty-faced limey twat with an I.Q. like a shoe size.
LOL