The Prodigal Tongue
2018-07-10 19:15:38 UTC
I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
it here, then *I* recommend it.

"The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
British English" by Lynne Murphy.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-11 08:15:37 UTC
On 2018-07-10 19:15:38 +0000, Ken Blake said:

> I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
> recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
> it here, then *I* recommend it.
>
> "The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
> British English" by Lynne Murphy.

I haven't read her book, but I follow her blog in a desultory fashion:

https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/

John Dunlop
2018-07-11 08:24:12 UTC
Ken Blake:

> I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
> recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
> it here, then *I* recommend it.
>
> "The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
> British English" by Lynne Murphy.

Thanks for reminding me. I've added it to my list.

Her blog is always interesting, though it hasn't been updated much recently:

https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/

John
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-11 13:00:08 UTC
On 2018-07-11 10:24:12 +0200, John Dunlop <***@ymail.com> said:

> Ken Blake:
>
>> I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
>> recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
>> it here, then *I* recommend it.
>>
>> "The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
>> British English" by Lynne Murphy.
>
> Thanks for reminding me. I've added it to my list.
>
> Her blog is always interesting, though it hasn't been updated much recently:
>
> https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/

Yes, but she explains that (work on the book squeezed out other
activities). I expect she'll come back.

2018-07-11 15:23:10 UTC

You're welcome.
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-07-11 17:23:00 UTC
On 7/10/2018 12:14 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
> recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
> it here, then *I* recommend it.
>
> "The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
> British English" by Lynne Murphy.

Written by a bucktoothed, pasty-faced limey twat with an I.Q. like a shoe size.
LOL
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-07-20 15:23:13 UTC

"Pleasance, may I put my 'prodigal tongue' in your cubby hole?"
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-07-23 15:56:16 UTC
On 7/20/2018 8:23 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 10:23 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
>> On 7/10/2018 12:14 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>>> I can't remember where I first heard of this book. If someone here
>>> recommended it, thank you very much. If I didn't see something about
>>> it here, then *I* recommend it.
>>>
>>> "The Prodigal Tongue: the love-hate relation between American and
>>> British English" by Lynne Murphy.
>>>

>> Written by a bucktoothed, pasty-faced limey twat with an I.Q. like a shoe size.
>> LOL
>>

> "Pleasance, may I put my 'prodigal tongue' in your cubby hole?"

I asked a young ladyboy, "Isn't it hard to find someone dressed in girl's clothing?"

He replied, "No, I do it all the time."

Discuss.......