"and" or "or"
2017-12-06 07:27:42 UTC
1) Tom, solo or with his band, has covered many of Dylan's songs.
2) Tom, solo and with his band, has covered many of Dylan's songs.

Which is grammatical?
Which is idiomatic?

I think '2' means that he has covered all those songs twice, once alone
and once with his band!

Gratefully,
Navi.
Harrison Hill
2017-12-06 08:30:58 UTC
1) Tom, solo or with his band, has covered many of Dylan's songs.
2) Tom, solo and with his band, has covered many of Dylan's songs.
Which is grammatical?
Which is idiomatic?
I think '2' means that he has covered all those songs twice, once alone
and once with his band!
There is nothing to suggest that. Both are grammatical, idiomatic
and mean the same thing.
Richard Yates
2017-12-06 14:18:04 UTC
1) Tom, solo or with his band, has covered many of Dylan's songs.
2) Tom, solo and with his band, has covered many of Dylan's songs.
Which is grammatical?
Which is idiomatic?
I think '2' means that he has covered all those songs twice, once alone
and once with his band!
'2' might lean grammatically toward "covered all those songs twice,
but the likelihood, in reality, of that interpretation is so low that
it prevented any thought of it when I read the sentences.
Navi.