"A 5 minuet walk"
2018-09-09 17:23:03 UTC
Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
following features:

"Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
station."

"As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."

"There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and inside
the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."

2018-09-09 17:28:12 UTC
On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:23:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
<***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:

>Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
>following features:
>
>"Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
>station."

Dancing bach to the station?

occam
2018-09-10 07:00:34 UTC
On 09/09/2018 19:28, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:23:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
> <***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:
>
>> Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
>> following features:
>>
>> "Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
>> station."
>
> Dancing bach to the station?

Waltzing from the station, in the time it takes to hum the Minute Waltz
(Chopin) five times.
Peter Young
2018-09-10 07:33:42 UTC
On 10 Sep 2018 occam <***@invalid.nix> wrote:

> On 09/09/2018 19:28, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:23:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
>> <***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
>>> following features:
>>>
>>> "Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
>>> station."
>>
>> Dancing bach to the station?
>>

> Waltzing from the station, in the time it takes to hum the Minute Waltz
> (Chopin) five times.

I'm sure that Occam knows that a proper performance of this waltz takes
rather more than a minute.

Peter.

(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist) (AUE Au)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-09-10 11:15:13 UTC

A classic example of where pronunciation really does matter!
Peter T. Daniels
2018-09-10 11:33:39 UTC
On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 7:15:16 AM UTC-4, Madrigal Gurneyhalt wrote:
> On Monday, 10 September 2018 08:40:23 UTC+1, Peter Young wrote:

> > > Waltzing from the station, in the time it takes to hum the Minute Waltz
> > > (Chopin) five times.
> > I'm sure that Occam knows that a proper performance of this waltz takes
> > rather more than a minute.
>
> A classic example of where pronunciation really does matter!

But not in French, as originally titled. There, the distinction is made
in the syntax.
b***@aol.com
2018-09-10 13:12:24 UTC

How's that?
Peter T. Daniels
2018-09-10 15:21:22 UTC
On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 9:12:27 AM UTC-4, ***@aol.com wrote:
> Le lundi 10 septembre 2018 13:33:41 UTC+2, Peter T. Daniels a écrit :

> > > A classic example of where pronunciation really does matter!
> >
> > But not in French, as originally titled. There, the distinction is made
> > in the syntax.
>
> How's that?

"valse minute" is a teeny-tiny waltz. "one-minute waltz" would be something
like "valse d'une minute," or "valse de duration d'une minute," or some
such, no?

An hour-long walk wouldn't be a "promenade heure," would it?
occam
2018-09-10 15:36:38 UTC
On 10/09/2018 17:21, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 9:12:27 AM UTC-4, ***@aol.com wrote:

>>> But not in French, as originally titled. There, the distinction is made
>>> in the syntax.
>>
>> How's that?
>
> "valse minute" is a teeny-tiny waltz. "one-minute waltz" would be something
> like "valse d'une minute," or "valse de duration d'une minute," or some
> such, no?

Hmm, the French name for Minute Waltz appears to be "Valse du petit
chien" ("Waltz of the little dog") according to Wiki.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-09-10 15:53:49 UTC
On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 11:36:42 AM UTC-4, occam wrote:
> On 10/09/2018 17:21, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> >> How's that?
> >
> > "valse minute" is a teeny-tiny waltz. "one-minute waltz" would be something
> > like "valse d'une minute," or "valse de duration d'une minute," or some
> > such, no?
> >

> Hmm, the French name for Minute Waltz appears to be "Valse du petit
> chien" ("Waltz of the little dog") according to Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_Waltz#Tempo

"Camille Bourniquel, one of Chopin's biographers, reminds the reader that Chopin got the inspiration for this waltz as he was watching a small dog chase its tail, which prompted the composer to name the piece Valse du petit chien, meaning "The Little Dog Waltz".[5][6]"

But not, that I can find, on the score.

http://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/record/9200365/BibliographicResource_2000081563560.html

"5^ Frédéric Chopin; John W. Schaum (2001). Chopin-Schaum, Bk 1: Based on Events and Episodes of Chopin's Life. Alfred Music Publishing. p. 8. ISBN 978-0-7579-0511-7. Retrieved 2 October 2010. Sometimes called Minute Waltz Chopin's puppy cuddled quietly at ... This was the happy memory that helped Chopin write the waltz "Little Dog Chasing His Tail".

"6^ George Sand's little dog, "Marquis", was the dog of the Valse du petit chien. It had befriended Chopin who mentions it in several of his letters, one from Nohant, dated 11 October 1846, another from Paris, dated 25 November 1846, in which he writes to George Sand: "Please thank Marquis for missing me and for sniffing at my door." in Selected Correspondence of Fryderyk Chopin, collected and annotated by Bronislaw Edward Sydow, translated and edited by Arthur Hedley, McGraw-Hill, New York, Toronto, London, 1963, pp. 267 & 272."
Peter Young
2018-09-10 16:11:31 UTC
On 10 Sep 2018 occam <***@invalid.nix> wrote:

> On 10/09/2018 17:21, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

>>> How's that?
>>
>> "valse minute" is a teeny-tiny waltz. "one-minute waltz" would be something
>> like "valse d'une minute," or "valse de duration d'une minute," or some
>> such, no?
>>

> Hmm, the French name for Minute Waltz appears to be "Valse du petit
> chien" ("Waltz of the little dog") according to Wiki.

According to tradition, so-called as Chopin composed it after watching
Georges Sand's dog chasing its own tail.

Reinhold {Rey} Aman
2018-09-10 20:35:53 UTC
Peter Young wrote:

> According to tradition, so-called as Chopin composed it
^^^^^^^^^
> after watching Georges Sand's dog chasing its own tail.

ObAUE: Once again, "so-called" is not a synonym of "so called."

"so-called" is an attributive *adjective*
"so called" are just two words.

~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
b***@aol.com
2018-09-10 16:00:04 UTC
Le lundi 10 septembre 2018 17:21:24 UTC+2, Peter T. Daniels a écrit :
> On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 9:12:27 AM UTC-4, ***@aol.com wrote:

> > > But not in French, as originally titled. There, the distinction is made
> > > in the syntax.
> >
> > How's that?
>
> "valse minute" is a teeny-tiny waltz. "one-minute waltz" would be something
> like "valse d'une minute," or "valse de duration d'une minute," or some
> such, no?

When used appositively as an adjective, "minute" means "very fast"
in French and does refer to time, not to size. Other examples include
"nettoyage minute" (same-day cleaning), "talon minute" ("heel bar"
or "on-the-spot shoe repair"), etc. In the case of a waltz, the two
notions somewhat overlap, though.

> An hour-long walk wouldn't be a "promenade heure," would it?

No, it would be "promenade d'une heure", as "heure" doesn't have the
same appositive usage.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-09-10 11:32:29 UTC
On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 3:40:23 AM UTC-4, Peter Young wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2018 occam <***@invalid.nix> wrote:
> > On 09/09/2018 19:28, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> >> Dancing bach to the station?
> > Waltzing from the station, in the time it takes to hum the Minute Waltz
> > (Chopin) five times.
>
> I'm sure that Occam knows that a proper performance of this waltz takes
> rather more than a minute.

It can be done in one minute, but it sounds rather ridiculous.

Barbra Streisand sang the Minute Waltz ...
charles
2018-09-09 17:44:17 UTC
In article <pn3kto$2d3$***@news.albasani.net>,
Katy Jennison <***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:
> Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
> following features:

> "Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
> station."

> "As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
> your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."

> "There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and inside
> the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."

presumably aimed at music students?

2018-09-09 18:08:10 UTC
On 9/9/18 11:23 AM, Katy Jennison wrote:
> Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
> following features:
>
> "Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
> station."

A typical minuet lasts a few minutes, so it probably means a ten- or
twenty-minute walk. Listen for the people whistling as they walk to the
station.

> "As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
> your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."

Not "en-site"?

Cheryl
2018-09-09 18:50:37 UTC
On 2018-09-09 2:53 PM, Katy Jennison wrote:
> Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
> following features:
>
> "Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
> station."
>
> "As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
> your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."
>
> "There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and inside
> the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."

Perhaps it is closer to the train station if you do a quick-step instead
of a minuet.

Cheryl
Bart Dinnissen
2018-09-10 16:25:40 UTC
On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 16:20:37 -0230, in alt.usage.english Cheryl <***@mun.ca> wrote:

>On 2018-09-09 2:53 PM, Katy Jennison wrote:
>> Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
>> following features:
>>
>> "Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
>> station."
>>
>> "As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
>> your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."
>>
>> "There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and inside
>> the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."
>>
>Perhaps it is closer to the train station if you do a quick-step instead
>of a minuet.

Or possibly a fox-trot.

Bart Dinnissen
Tony Cooper
2018-09-09 20:45:03 UTC
On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:23:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
<***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:

>Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
>following features:
>
>"Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
>station."
>
>"As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
>your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."
>
>"There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and inside
>the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."

Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
spelling.
2018-09-10 12:37:02 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
@invalid.com says...

> On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:23:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
> <***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:
>
> >Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
> >following features:
> >
> >"Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
> >station."
> >
> >"As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
> >your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."
> >
> >"There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and inside
> >the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."
>
> Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
> spelling.

Spellcheckers are free. In my experience, any business can be judged by
its attention to detail, and attitude to potential customers.

Someone who is sloppy and careless from the word go, is telling their
audience they don't give a toss about care and attention. A dire warning
of what level of service to expect further down the line.

Janet.
b***@aol.com
2018-09-10 13:03:41 UTC
Le lundi 10 septembre 2018 14:37:05 UTC+2, Janet a écrit :
> In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
> @invalid.com says...
> >
> > On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:23:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
> > <***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
> > >following features:
> > >
> > >"Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
> > >station."
> > >
> > >"As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
> > >your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."
> > >
> > >"There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and inside
> > >the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."
> >
> > Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
> > spelling.
>
> Spellcheckers are free.

How could a spellchecker have spotted any error, since "minuet" is indeed
a valid word?

occam
2018-09-10 13:24:04 UTC
On 10/09/2018 15:03, ***@aol.com wrote:
> Le lundi 10 septembre 2018 14:37:05 UTC+2, Janet a écrit :
>> In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
>> @invalid.com says...

>>> Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
>>> spelling.
>>
>> Spellcheckers are free.
>
> How could a spellchecker have spotted any error, since "minuet" is indeed
> a valid word?

Indeed. And how do we know it was not the musically inclined
spellchecker that changed the spelling to the current 'minuet'?
Tony Cooper
2018-09-10 13:21:24 UTC
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 13:37:02 +0100, Janet <***@home.com> wrote:

>In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
>@invalid.com says...
>>
>> On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:23:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
>> <***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
>> >following features:
>> >
>> >"Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
>> >station."
>> >
>> >"As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
>> >your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."
>> >
>> >"There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and inside
>> >the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."
>>
>> Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
>> spelling.
>
> Spellcheckers are free. In my experience, any business can be judged by
>its attention to detail, and attitude to potential customers.
>
> Someone who is sloppy and careless from the word go, is telling their
>audience they don't give a toss about care and attention. A dire warning
>of what level of service to expect further down the line.

The OP hasn't given any indication that the advertisement was prepared
on a computer with spellcheck. It could be a hand-written sign in a
shop window. Besides, spellcheck would not catch the errors in the
ad.

I wouldn't consider a landlady to be a business person. I would be
less concerned about her ability to spell than I would be about the
condition of the house where the rooms are...more interested in her
skills with a mop and vac in the common areas.

2018-09-10 15:46:04 UTC
On 10/09/2018 14:21, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 13:37:02 +0100, Janet <***@home.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
>> @invalid.com says...

>>> Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
>>> spelling.
>>
>> Spellcheckers are free. In my experience, any business can be judged by
>> its attention to detail, and attitude to potential customers.
>>
>> Someone who is sloppy and careless from the word go, is telling their
>> audience they don't give a toss about care and attention. A dire warning
>> of what level of service to expect further down the line.
>>
> The OP hasn't given any indication that the advertisement was prepared
> on a computer with spellcheck. It could be a hand-written sign in a
> shop window. Besides, spellcheck would not catch the errors in the
> ad.

Actually it was an online-line ad on the 'Oxford Community' facebook
page, and it's referring to a complex of rooms in (apparently) a
purpose-built building, like a private hall of residence, rather than
just one room in someone's home. That's why it has an 'on-suite warden'
and says you'll be surrounded by potential friends.

2018-09-10 18:58:23 UTC
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 16:46:04 +0100, Katy Jennison
<***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:

>On 10/09/2018 14:21, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 13:37:02 +0100, Janet <***@home.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
>>> @invalid.com says...

>>> Spellcheckers are free. In my experience, any business can be judged by
>>> its attention to detail, and attitude to potential customers.
>>>
>>> Someone who is sloppy and careless from the word go, is telling their
>>> audience they don't give a toss about care and attention. A dire warning
>>> of what level of service to expect further down the line.
>>>
>> The OP hasn't given any indication that the advertisement was prepared
>> on a computer with spellcheck. It could be a hand-written sign in a
>> shop window. Besides, spellcheck would not catch the errors in the
>> ad.
>>

>Actually it was an online-line ad on the 'Oxford Community' facebook
>page, and it's referring to a complex of rooms in (apparently) a
>purpose-built building, like a private hall of residence, rather than
>just one room in someone's home. That's why it has an 'on-suite warden'
>and says you'll be surrounded by potential friends.

As someone who has fat-fingers and takes 10 minutes to type out a
simple text message on the phone, I'm not at all put off by the
spelling or composition. I don't do Facebook, though.

My decision to rent the place would be based on the cleanliness of the
common area and the absence of odor. And, of course, the room itself.

I would not be impressed by being surrounded by potential friends. I
might visit the place at midnight on a weekend night to see and hear
those potentials. If I can, that might put me off.

However, I'm sure anyone who lives in Oxford would be a refined person
of good character and deportment.

2018-09-10 17:53:52 UTC
* Tony Cooper:

> I wouldn't consider a landlady to be a business person. I would be
> less concerned about her ability to spell than I would be about the
> condition of the house where the rooms are...more interested in her
> skills with a mop and vac in the common areas.

I rented my last apartment from the female owner, who I'd call my
landlady. It was the janitor who operated the mop.

--
The notion that there might be a "truth" of sex, as Foucault
ironically terms it, is produced precisely through the regulatory
coherent gender norms. -- Judith Butler
charles
2018-09-10 13:03:23 UTC
In article <***@news.individual.net>, Janet
<***@home.com> wrote:
> In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
> @invalid.com says...
> >
> > On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:23:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
> > <***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including
> > >the following features:
> > >
> > >"Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central
> > >train station."
> > >
> > >"As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
> > >your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."
> > >
> > >"There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and inside
> > > the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."
> >
> > Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
> > spelling.

> Spellcheckers are free. In my experience, any business can be judged by
> its attention to detail, and attitude to potential customers.

but a spellchecker wouldn't have spotted an error. 'minuet' is a perfectly
good word.

2018-09-10 16:19:30 UTC
On 10/09/18 23:03, charles wrote:
> In article <***@news.individual.net>, Janet
> <***@home.com> wrote:
>> In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
>> @invalid.com says...

>>> Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
>>> spelling.
>
>> Spellcheckers are free. In my experience, any business can be judged by
>> its attention to detail, and attitude to potential customers.
>
> but a spellchecker wouldn't have spotted an error. 'minuet' is a perfectly
> good word.

One error can be forgiven. Three in a row suggests someone who doesn't care.

John Varela
2018-09-11 19:19:23 UTC
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 16:19:30 UTC, Peter Moylan
<***@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> On 10/09/18 23:03, charles wrote:
> > In article <***@news.individual.net>, Janet
> > <***@home.com> wrote:
> >> In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
> >> @invalid.com says...

> >> Spellcheckers are free. In my experience, any business can be judged by
> >> its attention to detail, and attitude to potential customers.
> >
> > but a spellchecker wouldn't have spotted an error. 'minuet' is a perfectly
> > good word.
>
> One error can be forgiven. Three in a row suggests someone who doesn't care.

Maybe English isn't her first language, she's poorly educated, or
she is afraid of computers and doesn't know how to use a spell
checker.

John Varela
HVS
2018-09-10 14:02:46 UTC
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 13:37:02 +0100, Janet <***@home.com> wrote:
> In article <***@4ax.com>,
tonycooper214
> @invalid.com says...
> >
> > On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:23:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
> > <***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford,
including the
> > >following features:
> > >
> > >"Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the
central train
> > >station."
> > >
> > >"As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also
have
> > >your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite
bathroom."

> > >"There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and
inside
> > >the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."
> >
> > Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
> > spelling.

> Spellcheckers are free.

But they would not highlight either "minuet" for "minute", or "suite"
for "site", as errors.

John Varela
2018-09-11 19:27:03 UTC
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 14:02:46 UTC, HVS
<***@REMOVE-THISwhhvs.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 13:37:02 +0100, Janet <***@home.com> wrote:
> > In article <***@4ax.com>,
> tonycooper214
> > @invalid.com says...

> including the

> central train

> have
> bathroom."

> inside
> > >
> > > Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
> > > spelling.
>

> > Spellcheckers are free.
>
> But they would not highlight either "minuet" for "minute", or "suite"
> for "site", as errors.

I should think that the spell checker ought to catch "on-suite", but
discover that the checker in this here Mac doesn't catch it.

John Varela
Mark Brader
2018-09-11 21:14:55 UTC
John Varela:
> I should think that the spell checker ought to catch "on-suite", but
> discover that the checker in this here Mac doesn't catch it.

Well, "on" is a word and "suite" is a word, isn't it?
--
Mark Brader | "In a perfect world, the person of authority responds
Toronto | to needs rather than to demands. That's not the way
***@vex.net | the system works, though." --Tony Cooper
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2018-09-11 22:23:03 UTC
On 11 Sep 2018 19:27:03 GMT, "John Varela" <***@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 14:02:46 UTC, HVS
><***@REMOVE-THISwhhvs.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 13:37:02 +0100, Janet <***@home.com> wrote:
>> > In article <***@4ax.com>,
>> tonycooper214
>> > @invalid.com says...

>> including the

>> central train

>> have
>> bathroom."

>> inside

>> > Spellcheckers are free.
>>
>> But they would not highlight either "minuet" for "minute", or "suite"
>> for "site", as errors.
>
>I should think that the spell checker ought to catch "on-suite", but
>discover that the checker in this here Mac doesn't catch it.

Neither does mine (Forte Agent on a Windows PC).

A few experiments suggest that it treats the hyphen as a word separator
rather than a linker, so "on" and "suite" are in its dictionary as words
in their own right. As is "en". Also "pre" and "co".

John Varela
2018-09-13 19:13:56 UTC
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 22:23:03 UTC, "Peter Duncanson [BrE]"
<***@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

> On 11 Sep 2018 19:27:03 GMT, "John Varela" <***@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 14:02:46 UTC, HVS
> ><***@REMOVE-THISwhhvs.co.uk> wrote:

> >> tonycooper214

> >> including the

> >> central train

> >> have
> >> bathroom."

> >> inside

> >> But they would not highlight either "minuet" for "minute", or "suite"
> >> for "site", as errors.
> >
> >I should think that the spell checker ought to catch "on-suite", but
> >discover that the checker in this here Mac doesn't catch it.
> >
> Neither does mine (Forte Agent on a Windows PC).
>
> A few experiments suggest that it treats the hyphen as a word separator
> rather than a linker, so "on" and "suite" are in its dictionary as words
> in their own right. As is "en". Also "pre" and "co".

Should we all file bug reports?

John Varela
Peter T. Daniels
2018-09-10 15:19:14 UTC
On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 8:37:05 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
> In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
> @invalid.com says...
> > On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:23:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
> > <***@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:

> > >Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including the
> > >following features:
> > >"Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central train
> > >station."
> > >"As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
> > >your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite bathroom."
> > >"There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and inside
> > >the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."
> > Landladies should be judged by their cleaning habits, not their
> > spelling.
>
> Spellcheckers are free. In my experience, any business can be judged by
> its attention to detail, and attitude to potential customers.
>
> Someone who is sloppy and careless from the word go, is telling their
> audience they don't give a toss about care and attention. A dire warning
> of what level of service to expect further down the line.

Nothing in Katy's posting indicated the source of the ad copy. I suspect
it was a hand-written (or hand-printed), photocopied flyer tacked up
where potential tenants might see it.

The woman who did up my room in College each morning was a lovely, and
talkative, person [Over Here I would have used "lady" in either of those
places], but I imagine she'd have come up with an ad very like that one.
Her son is to be married this month, in the chapel of one of the colleges,
and she's never seen the college or its chapel. I said I might go to the
Ashmolean, and she said she'd heard it was very nice. She has barely ever
traveled outside Oxford -- I told her we'd be going to Brighton mid-week,
and she said that when they go to the seaside, it's to Bournemouth [did I
remember that correctly?] because it's closer.
Peter Moylan
2018-09-10 01:47:15 UTC
On 10/09/18 03:23, Katy Jennison wrote:

> Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including
> the following features:
>
> "Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central
> train station."

I have occasionally timed the length of a walk by knowing the "running
time" of the tune that's running around my head.

> "As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
> your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite
> bathroom."

I looked around and I crawled off to sleep in the bath.

> "There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and
> inside the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."

I'm not sure how I'd feel about having my shower in front of the
en-suite warden and CCCTV.

RHDraney
2018-09-10 02:01:12 UTC
On 9/9/2018 6:47 PM, Peter Moylan wrote:

>> "There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and
>> inside the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."
>
> I'm not sure how I'd feel about having my shower in front of the
> en-suite warden and CCCTV.

I'm not sure how I'd feel having my building's security handled by China
Central TV...(don't get me wrong; I like their nature documentaries and
music programming, but I don't want to appear in either)....r
Mack A. Damia
2018-09-10 02:23:11 UTC

How about as poster boy for the "No Child Policy"?
Katy Jennison
2018-09-10 15:51:17 UTC
On 10/09/2018 02:47, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 10/09/18 03:23, Katy Jennison wrote:
>
>> Someone advertising rooms for students to rent in Oxford, including
>> the following features:
>>
>> "Located in Oxford City center and a 5 minuet walk to the central
>> train station."
>
> I have occasionally timed the length of a walk by knowing the "running
> time" of the tune that's running around my head.
>
>> "As well as being surrounded by potential friends you will also have
>>  your own space as each room consists of a private en-suite
>> bathroom."
>
> I looked around and I crawled off to sleep in the bath.
>
>> "There is a on-suite warden and 24 hr CCTV operating around and
>> inside the building to ensure safety of all of our tenants."
>
> I'm not sure how I'd feel about having my shower in front of the
> en-suite warden and CCCTV.

I'm glad someone picked up all three, not just the dance!