Boom De Yada!
Prai Jei
2009-02-06 20:10:31 UTC
What does "Boom de yada" mean?
This phrase(?) is from the jingle of the Discovery Chanel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=TW&hl=zh-TW&v=MaZyPoxIT1E
The phrase(?) is shown in the video at 00:23
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_lyrics_to_the_Discovery_Channel_song_Boom_De_Ya_Da
In this page, it is "boom de ah da."
Is it from another language other than English?
Or is it meaningless?
Here goes with my two eurocents' worth:
Boom - onomatopoeic representation of an explosion
de - French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/Rumanian/Esperanto "of"
Yada - opposite of Nada (zero, nothing) - "everything"
So "explosion of everything" - read "explosion [giving rise to] everything"
= big bang.
--
ξ:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply
Glenn Knickerbocker
2009-02-07 00:04:08 UTC
Post by Prai Jei
Boom - onomatopoeic representation of an explosion
de - French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/Rumanian/Esperanto "of"
Yada - opposite of Nada (zero, nothing) - "everything"
So "explosion of everything" - read "explosion [giving rise to] everything"
= big bang.
Nicely done. I think I'm starting to love xkcd:

http://xkcd.com/442/
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/22/xkcd-roleplayers-ree.html

As to the actual origin, I've always figured it's just partial imitation
of "Ta-Ra-Ra Boom-De-Ay." From years of being dragged around to Girl
Scout events by my mom, followed by summers at various church camps, I
will testify that there's no "y" on the front of "ah-da" in the parts of
Pennsylvania and New York I grew up in.

So, anybody want to tackle "Flea Fly Flew"? One French web page I found
about that one seems to imply that the girls are deanimating little
sausages.

¬R
Django Cat
2009-02-07 00:17:15 UTC
What does "Boom de yada" mean?
I don't know, but it might be just what the lyric I'm struggling to
write at the moment needs.
About 25 years ago, MTV
MTV has been running for 25 years? Jesus wept.

DC
Pat Durkin
2009-02-07 01:20:37 UTC
Post by Glenn Knickerbocker
Post by Prai Jei
Boom - onomatopoeic representation of an explosion
de - French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/Rumanian/Esperanto
"of" Yada - opposite of Nada (zero, nothing) - "everything"
So "explosion of everything" - read "explosion [giving rise to]
everything" = big bang.
http://xkcd.com/442/
All different rhythms and melodies, of course:

Boom(p)tyada, boomptiada, boom, boom, boom!

Boom(p) diddly dum dum, boom, boom!

Boom(p) diddly ah dah, boom, boom!

Zippa dee doo dah, zippa dee aye. My, oh my, what a wonderful day!

It's a zippa-dee-doo-dah day!

Supercalif. . .etc.
Post by Glenn Knickerbocker
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/22/xkcd-roleplayers-ree.html
As to the actual origin, I've always figured it's just partial
imitation of "Ta-Ra-Ra Boom-De-Ay." From years of being dragged
around to Girl Scout events by my mom,
You were a Girl Scout? She was a Girl Scout? That was a Girl Scout
song?
¬R
Django Cat
2009-02-07 01:33:51 UTC
Post by Django Cat
What does "Boom de yada" mean?
I don't know, but it might be just what the lyric I'm struggling
to write at the moment needs.
About 25 years ago, MTV
MTV has been running for 25 years? Jesus wept.
Launched on August 1, 1981, according to Wikipedia.
Ouch.

DC
Sara Lorimer
2009-02-07 02:33:16 UTC
What does "Boom de yada" mean? This phrase(?) is from the jingle of the
Discovery Chanel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=TW&hl=zh-TW&v=MaZyPoxIT1E The phrase(?) is
shown in the video at 00:23
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_lyrics_to_the_Discovery_Channel_son
g_Boom_De_Ya_Da In this page, it is "boom de ah da."
Is it from another language other than English? Or is it meaningless?
It's meaningless, but not originally from the Discovery Chanel. It's
from a campfire song called "I Love the Mountains."
SML
Raymond O'Hara
2009-02-06 19:52:13 UTC
What does "Boom de yada" mean?
This phrase(?) is from the jingle of the Discovery Chanel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=TW&hl=zh-TW&v=MaZyPoxIT1E
The phrase(?) is shown in the video at 00:23
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_lyrics_to_the_Discovery_Channel_song_Boom_De_Ya_Da
In this page, it is "boom de ah da."
Is it from another language other than English?
Or is it meaningless?
It is the true meaning of the universe and it takes years of intense study
to grasp its deeper meaning and this group is inadequate to the task of
explaining it.

I hope that helps
R H Draney
2009-02-07 03:15:57 UTC
Post by Prai Jei
Boom - onomatopoeic representation of an explosion
de - French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/Rumanian/Esperanto "of"
Yada - opposite of Nada (zero, nothing) - "everything"
So "explosion of everything" - read "explosion [giving rise to] everything"
= big bang.
As to the actual origin, I've always figured it's just partial imitation
of "Ta-Ra-Ra Boom-De-Ay." From years of being dragged around to Girl
Scout events by my mom, followed by summers at various church camps, I
will testify that there's no "y" on the front of "ah-da" in the parts of
Pennsylvania and New York I grew up in.
Any relation to "Boom shaka laka laka"?...r
--
"You got Schadenfreude on my Weltanschauung!"
"You got Weltanschauung in my Schadenfreude!"
Django Cat
2009-02-06 20:15:49 UTC
What does "Boom de yada" mean?
I don't know, but it might be just what the lyric I'm struggling to
write at the moment needs.
This phrase(?) is from the jingle of the Discovery Chanel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=TW&hl=zh-TW&v=MaZyPoxIT1E
The phrase(?) is shown in the video at 00:23
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_lyrics_to_the_Discovery_Channel
_song_Boom_De_Ya_Da In this page, it is "boom de ah da."
Is it from another language other than English?
Or is it meaningless?
It's meaningless, Tacia.

DC
R H Draney
2009-02-06 21:07:54 UTC
What does "Boom de yada" mean?
I don't know, but it might be just what the lyric I'm struggling to
write at the moment needs.
About 25 years ago, MTV ran a "bumper" consisting entirely of black slides with
white lettering, fading to a completely black screen between consecutive slides,
while an announcer read out the words displayed...the text of the ad was:

MTV plays more videos in a row

More videos per hour

Doodle doodle dee

Wubba wubba wubba

"Wubba wubba wubba" was the catchphrase of then-current VJ "Downtown Julie
Brown"...to the best of my knowledge nobody ever explained what it was supposed
to mean....r
Default User
2009-02-07 00:30:58 UTC
Post by Prai Jei
Boom - onomatopoeic representation of an explosion
de - French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/Rumanian/Esperanto
"of" Yada - opposite of Nada (zero, nothing) - "everything"
So "explosion of everything" - read "explosion [giving rise to]
everything" = big bang.
http://xkcd.com/442/
The transistor panel was quite humorous for us engineering types.

Brian
Day 3 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Glenn Knickerbocker
2009-02-07 14:03:48 UTC
Post by Pat Durkin
Post by Glenn Knickerbocker
around to Girl Scout events by my mom,
You were a Girl Scout? She was a Girl Scout? That was a Girl Scout
song?
She was a Girl Scout *leader*, and I was a pliant enough kid to be
plopped in a corner with a book rather than left with a babysitter.
The only song I remember hearing more often at Girl Scout meetings
was "Heart and Soul" pounded out in piano duets.

¬R "Carl Sagan is more educational than J.R.R. Tolkien even though they
were both total stoners." K. http://users.bestweb.net/~notr/cosmic.html
Prai Jei
2009-02-07 15:55:58 UTC
Glenn Knickerbocker set the following eddies spiralling through the
Post by Glenn Knickerbocker
As to the actual origin, I've always figured it's just partial imitation
of "Ta-Ra-Ra Boom-De-Ay." From years of being dragged around to Girl
Scout events by my mom, followed by summers at various church camps, I
will testify that there's no "y" on the front of "ah-da" in the parts of
Pennsylvania and New York I grew up in.
To me it sounded more a simplification of "Boom - oo - ya-ta-ta-ta", the
silly refrain to that silly song by Morecambe and Wise.
Post by Glenn Knickerbocker
So, anybody want to tackle "Flea Fly Flew"? One French web page I found
about that one seems to imply that the girls are deanimating little
sausages.
Now that sounds more like "blum blum blum blee blow blow" - the sound of
mischevous schoolboys parodying their Latin grammar - to which their mates
would reply "blah blah blah blorum bliss bliss".

Prai Jei
2009-02-07 15:58:47 UTC
R H Draney set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
Post by R H Draney
Wubba wubba wubba
"Wubba wubba wubba" was the catchphrase of then-current VJ "Downtown Julie
Brown"...to the best of my knowledge nobody ever explained what it was
supposed to mean....r
Some vague reference to George Wubba Bush perhaps, or some equally vague
reference to an unspecified website.

James Silverton
2009-02-07 16:11:44 UTC
Post by Prai Jei
Post by R H Draney
Wubba wubba wubba
"Wubba wubba wubba" was the catchphrase of then-current VJ
"Downtown Julie Brown"...to the best of my knowledge nobody
ever explained what it was supposed to mean....r
Some vague reference to George Wubba Bush perhaps, or some
equally vague reference to an unspecified website.
I don't think it's necessary to invent new middle names for Bush.
"Dubya", after Maureen Dowd, is quite good enough to identify him.
--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Chuck Riggs
2009-02-07 16:21:23 UTC
What does "Boom de yada" mean?
I don't know, but it might be just what the lyric I'm struggling to
write at the moment needs.
This phrase(?) is from the jingle of the Discovery Chanel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=TW&hl=zh-TW&v=MaZyPoxIT1E
The phrase(?) is shown in the video at 00:23
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_lyrics_to_the_Discovery_Channel
_song_Boom_De_Ya_Da In this page, it is "boom de ah da."
Is it from another language other than English?
Or is it meaningless?
It's meaningless, Tacia.
If it is meaningless, add "ding dong de", at which point the meaning
should become clear.
--
Regards,

Chuck Riggs
Near Dublin, Ireland
James Silverton
2009-02-07 16:34:25 UTC
Post by Chuck Riggs
What does "Boom de yada" mean?
I don't know, but it might be just what the lyric I'm
struggling to write at the moment needs.
This phrase(?) is from the jingle of the Discovery Chanel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=TW&hl=zh-TW&v=MaZyPoxIT1E
The phrase(?) is shown in the video at 00:23
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_lyrics_to_the_Discovery_Channel
_song_Boom_De_Ya_Da In this page, it is "boom de ah da."
Is it from another language other than English?
Or is it meaningless?
It's meaningless, Tacia.
If it is meaningless, add "ding dong de", at which point the
meaning should become clear.
There are a number of meaningless refrains in traditional songs. I
believe "Lillibulero", in the Irish song of the same name is one as is
"Fa la la la la la" in "Here's a health unto his majesty", both dating
back to the 17th century.
--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Django Cat
2009-02-07 17:32:42 UTC
Post by Prai Jei
What does "Boom de yada" mean?
I don't know, but it might be just what the lyric I'm struggling to
write at the moment needs.
This phrase(?) is from the jingle of the Discovery Chanel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=TW&hl=zh-TW&v=MaZyPoxIT1E
The phrase(?) is shown in the video at 00:23
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_lyrics_to_the_Discovery_Channel
_song_Boom_De_Ya_Da In this page, it is "boom de ah da." >>
Is it from another language other than English?
Or is it meaningless?
It's meaningless, Tacia.
If it is meaningless, add "ding dong de", at which point the meaning
should become clear.
Bit like "A-Wop-bop-a-loo-lop a-lop-bam-boo", maybe?

DC
Frank ess
2009-02-07 17:54:43 UTC
Post by Raymond O'Hara
What does "Boom de yada" mean?
This phrase(?) is from the jingle of the Discovery Chanel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=TW&hl=zh-TW&v=MaZyPoxIT1E
The phrase(?) is shown in the video at 00:23
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_lyrics_to_the_Discovery_Channel_song_Boom_De_Ya_Da
In this page, it is "boom de ah da."
Is it from another language other than English?
Or is it meaningless?
It is the true meaning of the universe and it takes years of
intense study to grasp its deeper meaning and this group is
inadequate to the task of explaining it.
I hope that helps
Just one hint: "Dooby dooby doo" is a key to one level, according to
the Chairman of the Board.

Page 1 of 2