Is Navi a robot ---
Add Reply
g***@gmail.com
2017-12-06 03:34:33 UTC
--- using this forum as a focus group for a textbook publisher?
Jerry Friedman
2017-12-06 05:35:58 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
--- using this forum as a focus group for a textbook publisher?
Robots can't get drunk, yet.

To preemptively explain some of the responses you might get, a number of
people here don't read subject lines and thus can't understand a post
whose subject line is essential to its meaning.
2017-12-06 06:42:59 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
--- using this forum as a focus group for a textbook publisher?
A robot that detects and reads posts about itself and replies to them?

Was this a test?

Did I pass?

Should I be proud? Proud that I am a human being, that is.

Maybe I am a human being using this forum as a focus group for a textbook
publisher?

I am not... But would there be anything wrong with that? It is an idea,
actually.

A lot of times, the answer is so simple, so commonplace, so trite, so
banal, that it is really irritating. You're looking for something a touch
dramatic... a robot trying to explore every nook and cranny of English
grammar... That really isn't too much to ask!... But what do you get?
Good ol' Navi.

Sorry. I am not a robot.

Recently I started a thread in which I said that I missed Guy Barry and Eric
Walker and inquired about Fabzorba. What robot would do that?

Bland reality!

Respectfully,
Navi.

PS. Where did that bottle go?!! Sometimes I have the feeling these things
have minds of their own!!!
Jerry Friedman
2017-12-06 17:53:49 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
Congratulations on passing the Turing test!
Jerry Friedman hasn't.
musika
2017-12-06 19:03:46 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
Never mind that! What about the Treering test?
--
Ray
UK
Sam Plusnet
2017-12-06 21:06:44 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
Wait!

The young lady in The Blade Runner had no idea that she was a replicant.
Let's not jump to conclusions here, since further research may be needed.
2017-12-06 18:22:40 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
--- using this forum as a focus group for a textbook publisher?
A robot that detects and reads posts about itself and replies to them?
Was this a test?
Did I pass?
Should I be proud? Proud that I am a human being, that is.
Maybe I am a human being using this forum as a focus group for a textbook
publisher?
I am not... But would there be anything wrong with that? It is an idea,
actually.
A lot of times, the answer is so simple, so commonplace, so trite, so
banal, that it is really irritating. You're looking for something a touch
dramatic... a robot trying to explore every nook and cranny of English
grammar...
But no doubt grandda... has explored every nook of Granny.

have minds of their own!!!
g***@gmail.com
2017-12-06 19:10:15 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
--- using this forum as a focus group for a textbook publisher?
'>
Post by a***@gmail.com
Sorry. I am not a robot.
Sorry now that I asked it so curtly! Your posts are so concise (10/10) but also so consistent that I got suspicious. I've not been on this forum until a couple of weeks ago, so perhaps I would otherwise have recognized your personhood.

Keep 'em coming, o human.
a***@gmail.com
2017-12-06 21:04:08 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
Sorry. I am not a robot.
Sorry now that I asked it so curtly! Your posts are so concise (10/10) but also so consistent that I got suspicious. I've not been on this forum until a couple of weeks ago, so perhaps I would otherwise have recognized your personhood.
Keep 'em coming, o human.
It's quite alright. No worries. I was a bit surprised to see the title, but
I was not offended. Everything is OK.

I will try to be more robot-like.

I try to be concise so that I wouldn't waste people's time.

Thanks for the attention!

To Jenny,

Smile? Really? Ask him nicely and a smile?

The prison guard is playing with his own Jenny.... It is a menage a quatre!

Respectfully and playfully,
Navi.
Jenny Telia
2017-12-06 20:21:38 UTC
I suspect that prison guard of yours has it. Ask him nicely. <smile>
Peter Moylan
2017-12-07 02:40:07 UTC
Recently I started a thread in which I said that I missed Guy Barry and Eric
Walker and inquired about Fabzorba. What robot would do that?
What human would do that?

Well, OK, I do sometimes miss Eric.
2017-12-07 10:31:00 UTC
Recently I started a thread in which I said that I missed Guy Barry and Eric
Walker and inquired about Fabzorba. What robot would do that?
What human would do that?
Well, OK, I do sometimes miss Eric.
Yes, but I can't imagine the sort of person who would miss Fabzorba.
2017-12-07 10:39:19 UTC
Recently I started a thread in which I said that I missed Guy Barry and Eric
Walker and inquired about Fabzorba. What robot would do that?
What human would do that?
Well, OK, I do sometimes miss Eric.
Yes, but I can't imagine the sort of person who would miss Fabzorba.
But you can an imagine an intelligent AI program missing him? That
would instantly disqualify it as 'intelligent'. Off to re-training camp.
a***@gmail.com
2017-12-07 11:04:19 UTC
Recently I started a thread in which I said that I missed Guy Barry and Eric
Walker and inquired about Fabzorba. What robot would do that?
What human would do that?
Well, OK, I do sometimes miss Eric.
Yes, but I can't imagine the sort of person who would miss Fabzorba.
But you can an imagine an intelligent AI program missing him? That
would instantly disqualify it as 'intelligent'. Off to re-training camp.
So you knew and disliked him as well?
Wow! The guy had quite a fan-club around here. Was there anyone who liked him?

Respectfully,
Navi.
Peter Moylan
2017-12-07 21:34:35 UTC
Recently I started a thread in which I said that I missed Guy Barry and Eric
Walker and inquired about Fabzorba. What robot would do that?
What human would do that?
Well, OK, I do sometimes miss Eric.
Yes, but I can't imagine the sort of person who would miss Fabzorba.
But you can an imagine an intelligent AI program missing him? That
would instantly disqualify it as 'intelligent'. Off to re-training camp.
So you knew and disliked him as well?
Wow! The guy had quite a fan-club around here. Was there anyone who liked him?
I was perhaps oversensitive to him. There are few Australians amount our
regulars, so I greatly regretted the arrival of someone who might damage
the reputation of Australians. To make matters worse, he was originally
from Newcastle.

It wasn't so much his language that bothered me. It was his pomposity:
the impression he tried to give that he was a lot smarter and more
important than his postings proved him to be.
2017-12-07 22:10:10 UTC
There are few Australians amount our regulars
This is the sort of error I seem to make far too often. I start typing a
word, and my fingers suddenly remember a different word that starts the
same way. Proof-reading catches some but not all of these faults.

No doubt the same happens to thumb-typists who rely on predictive text
recognition.
2017-12-07 22:34:44 UTC
There are few Australians amount our regulars
This is the sort of error I seem to make far too often. I start typing a
word, and my fingers suddenly remember a different word that starts the
same way. Proof-reading catches some but not all of these faults.
No doubt the same happens to thumb-typists who rely on predictive text
recognition.
It happens to me all the time. That was why Fabzorba threatened to shoot me!

Did he ever talk about politics? His political views were a mystery to me.
At times I had the impression that he was right-wing and at times I had the
opposite impression.

It is interesting that he made so many enemies here.

I thought he was originally from South Africa.

Respectfully,
Navi.
b***@shaw.ca
2017-12-08 01:46:01 UTC
Recently I started a thread in which I said that I missed Guy Barry and Eric
Walker and inquired about Fabzorba. What robot would do that?
What human would do that?
Well, OK, I do sometimes miss Eric.
Yes, but I can't imagine the sort of person who would miss Fabzorba.
But you can an imagine an intelligent AI program missing him? That
would instantly disqualify it as 'intelligent'. Off to re-training camp.
So you knew and disliked him as well?
Wow! The guy had quite a fan-club around here. Was there anyone who liked him?
I was perhaps oversensitive to him. There are few Australians amount our
regulars, so I greatly regretted the arrival of someone who might damage
the reputation of Australians. To make matters worse, he was originally
from Newcastle.
That reminds me, I can't recall the last time I saw a Robert Bannister post.
Possibly some months ago, when eternal september starting
experiencing technical problems?

2017-12-08 04:40:04 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
[...]
He was posting fairly regularly until the end of September. Then his
posting frequency dropped, and his last post here was on the 8th of
October. I hope he's OK.

The phone book shows only one R Bannister in the Perth region, so that's
likely to be him, but I'm reluctant to break in on his privacy on the
basis of some vague doubts.

After the big eternal-september problems, they had another outage more
recently, so he could have given up because of poor access.
Richard Bollard
2017-12-12 04:50:10 UTC
On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 15:40:04 +1100, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by b***@shaw.ca
[...]
If you want to check, I have his home address and phone from 2009 when
I met him over there.
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.
Peter Moylan
2017-12-12 05:28:01 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by b***@shaw.ca
That reminds me, I can't recall the last time I saw a Robert Bannister post.
Possibly some months ago, when eternal september starting
experiencing technical problems?
He was posting fairly regularly until the end of September. Then his
posting frequency dropped, and his last post here was on the 8th of
October. I hope he's OK.
The phone book shows only one R Bannister in the Perth region, so that's
likely to be him, but I'm reluctant to break in on his privacy on the
basis of some vague doubts.
After the big eternal-september problems, they had another outage more
recently, so he could have given up because of poor access.
If you want to check, I have his home address and phone from 2009 when
I met him over there.
Thanks. I think that would be an overreaction at this point, especially
since there was some talk of a trip to England, but I'll keep that in
mind for the case of a worrying absence.
Reinhold {Rey} Aman
2017-12-12 06:00:18 UTC
Post by Richard Bollard
Post by Peter Moylan
The phone book shows only one R Bannister in the Perth region,
so that's likely to be him, but I'm reluctant to break in on
his privacy on the basis of some vague doubts.
After the big eternal-september problems, they had another outage
more recently, so he could have given up because of poor access.
If you want to check, I have his home address and phone from 2009
when I met him over there.
Robert Bannister is on Facebook. Anyone wants to check there?

I'm worried about Rob, so last week I contacted the head of
Saint Andrew Society of Western Australia (Perth), where he's
a committee member. No reply from that outfit....
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Peter Moylan
2017-12-12 06:24:51 UTC
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Richard Bollard
Post by Peter Moylan
The phone book shows only one R Bannister in the Perth region,
so that's likely to be him, but I'm reluctant to break in on
his privacy on the basis of some vague doubts.
After the big eternal-september problems, they had another outage
more recently, so he could have given up because of poor access.
If you want to check, I have his home address and phone from 2009
when I met him over there.
Robert Bannister is on Facebook. Anyone wants to check there?
I'm worried about Rob, so last week I contacted the head of
Saint Andrew Society of Western Australia (Perth), where he's
a committee member. No reply from that outfit....
I've just sent a "friend" request on Facebook. Let's see what happens.
Richard Yates
2017-12-08 02:53:31 UTC
On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 08:34:35 +1100, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
There are few Australians amount our
regulars...
I realize that Robert Bannister has not posted for a long time. A
search says since last June. Did I miss something? Any word out there?
Mack A. Damia
2017-12-08 03:27:23 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
There are few Australians amount our
regulars...
I realize that Robert Bannister has not posted for a long time. A
search says since last June. Did I miss something? Any word out there?
Early October. Did he say he was going away - maybe England?

Somebody will remember .
Peter Moylan
2017-12-08 04:44:12 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
There are few Australians amount our
regulars...
I realize that Robert Bannister has not posted for a long time. A
search says since last June. Did I miss something? Any word out there?
Actually he's only been missing for two months, so I'm not concerned yet.
musika
2017-12-08 11:03:21 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
There are few Australians amount our
regulars...
I realize that Robert Bannister has not posted for a long time. A
search says since last June. Did I miss something? Any word out there?
Actually he's only been missing for two months, so I'm not concerned yet.
Didn't he say he was visiting the UK?
--
Ray
UK
Jerry Friedman
2017-12-08 17:37:21 UTC
Post by musika
Post by Peter Moylan
There are few Australians amount our
regulars...
I realize that Robert Bannister has not posted for a long time. A
search says since last June. Did I miss something? Any word out there?
Actually he's only been missing for two months, so I'm not concerned yet.
Didn't he say he was visiting the UK?
As I recall, he mentioned that he was back in Australia.
musika
UK
a***@gmail.com
2017-12-07 11:01:32 UTC
Recently I started a thread in which I said that I missed Guy Barry and Eric
Walker and inquired about Fabzorba. What robot would do that?
What human would do that?
Well, OK, I do sometimes miss Eric.
Yes, but I can't imagine the sort of person who would miss Fabzorba.
Athel, I can't really defend myself here. I know he didn't get along with you
and with quite a few other contributors. He could be a pain, but I thought
he didn't take himself too seriously.
I did not hate him and enjoyed some of his jokes. He ended up being on good terms with me, although at one point he threatened to come after me with a gun!

That was when the whole 'I'm-in-a-prison' joke started.

Quite a few times, I told him to mind his language since minor might visit
this forum. To no avail, obviously, I even told him that I was a minor.
Needless to say, he didn't believe me. He could be annoying, but he wasn't
that dumb.

Anyway, I said I missed Guy and Eric and I asked about Farbzorba. I do wish
his well, although I have to acknowledge that at least at times he could be
very unpleasant.

In short, I see your point. (That was a response a robot would have given)

I just try to get along with everybody. I do sometimes find the conflicts
on this forum over the top.

Respectfully,
Navi.
b***@shaw.ca
2017-12-08 01:41:46 UTC
[...]
would run dry?

although I have to acknowledge that at least at times he could be
Post by a***@gmail.com
very unpleasant.