DESIDERATA
Add Reply
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2017-12-05 14:59:30 UTC
"Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth."

SO IT WAS WRITTEN; SO SHALL IS BE, NOW AND FOREVERMORE....AMEN.

The above always gets me to thinkin' about Father William and his smart-assed son:

"You are old, Father William," the young man said,
"And your hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on your head—
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

"In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
"I feared it might injure the brain;
But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again and again."

"You are old," said the youth, "As I mentioned before,
And have grown most uncommonly fat;
Yet you turned a back-somersault in at the door—
Pray, what is the reason of that?"

"In my youth," said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
"I kept all my limbs very supple
By the use of this ointment—one shilling a box—
Allow me to sell you a couple?"

"You are old," said the youth, "And your jaws are too weak
For anything tougher than suet;
Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak—
Pray, how did you manage to do it?"

"In my youth," said his father, "I took to the law,
And argued each case with my wife;
And the muscular strength which it gave to my jaw,
Has lasted the rest of my life."

"You are old," said the youth, "one would hardly suppose
That your eye was as steady as ever;
Yet you balanced an eel on the end of your nose—
What made you so awfully clever?"

"I have answered three questions, and that is enough,"
Said his father; "don't give yourself airs!
Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
Be off, or I'll kick you down stairs!"
David

Colonel Edmund J. Burke
David
I am the old deadalus. Is there any extra emails?
Doug Laidlaw
2017-12-08 08:29:52 UTC
Why don't you do it, then?
David

I don't want to.
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Are you trying to say that I don't?
David
2017-12-08 17:33:03 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
"Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth."
SO IT WAS WRITTEN; SO SHALL IS BE, NOW AND FOREVERMORE....AMEN.
Why don't you do it, then?
Are you trying to say that I don't?

I usually don't like confrontations to turn out wrong.