Behead
Brian Austin
2018-09-15 04:14:13 UTC
The word 'behead' has bothered me for some time.

The 'be-' prefix usually conveys a sort of attachment: bewhiskered,
bejeweled, bespectacled. But beheading has nothing to do with
attachment; quite the opposite, in fact.

I think a better word would be 'dehead'.

- Brian

---
https://www.avg.com
Peter Moylan
2018-09-15 08:02:07 UTC
Post by Brian Austin
The word 'behead' has bothered me for some time.
The 'be-' prefix usually conveys a sort of attachment: bewhiskered,
bejeweled, bespectacled. But beheading has nothing to do with
attachment; quite the opposite, in fact.
I think a better word would be 'dehead'.
Putting a head on would be 'adhead'.

Removing it again would be 'deadhead'.
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Richard Tobin
2018-09-15 08:06:07 UTC
Post by Brian Austin
The word 'behead' has bothered me for some time.
The 'be-' prefix usually conveys a sort of attachment: bewhiskered,
bejeweled, bespectacled. But beheading has nothing to do with
attachment; quite the opposite, in fact.
It's the same be- prefix as in "bereave".

-- Richard
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2018-09-15 11:50:26 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Brian Austin
The word 'behead' has bothered me for some time.
The 'be-' prefix usually conveys a sort of attachment: bewhiskered,
bejeweled, bespectacled. But beheading has nothing to do with
attachment; quite the opposite, in fact.
It's the same be- prefix as in "bereave".
-- Richard
Yes.

That sense of be- in the OED:

3. Forming derivative verbs with privative meaning ‘off, away,’ as
in bedeal v., benim v., bereave v. A very common use of be- in Old
English and Middle English, probably originating in words like
beshear v., ‘to cut all round,’ whence ‘to cut off or away’; but no
longer in living use in forming new derivatives.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Lewis
2018-09-15 11:24:02 UTC
Post by Brian Austin
The word 'behead' has bothered me for some time.
The 'be-' prefix usually conveys a sort of attachment: bewhiskered,
bejeweled, bespectacled. But beheading has nothing to do with
attachment; quite the opposite, in fact.
But "usually" is not the same as "always" and many prefixes have
different meanings.
Post by Brian Austin
I think a better word would be 'dehead'.
But that doesn't make any sense. denude means to "strip nude/bare" and
why would you want to "strip head"?
--
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail but a true friend will
be sitting next to you saying, "Dang, that was fun."