Numbers for PTD boink please
2018-07-04 07:07:07 UTC
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.

(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
2018-07-04 07:08:32 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
2018-07-04 07:32:11 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the M25 +
Park & Ride.
2018-07-04 08:56:40 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the M25 +
Park & Ride.
Good! But check the trains - the main Oxford station is closed for a
couple of weeks. Ox
2018-07-04 08:58:16 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the M25 +
Park & Ride.
Good! But check trains: the main Oxford station is closed for two
weeks, although Oxford Parkway is open and there are buses from there to
the centre of Oxford.
2018-07-04 12:18:19 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
If paying is involved, will cash be needed? Do foreign Visa or MasterCard
work?
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the M25 +
Park & Ride.
Good! But check trains: the main Oxford station is closed for two
weeks, although Oxford Parkway is open and there are buses from there to
the centre of Oxford.
It seems I get to take the bus from Heathrow to Oxford on Sunday morning (I
will be met). How long is that ride?

And then from Oxford to Brighton "early" Wednesday morning (or might that be
a train).
Jerry Friedman
2018-07-04 13:00:31 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
If paying is involved, will cash be needed? Do foreign Visa or MasterCard
work?

My MC worked fine in England.
2018-07-04 13:36:55 UTC
On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 07:00:31 -0600, Jerry Friedman
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
If paying is involved, will cash be needed? Do foreign Visa or MasterCard
work?
My MC worked fine in England.
The credit card companies advise cardholders to notify the credit card
company before traveling out of the US if the card is to be used. A
regular Visa or Mastercard is usually accepted, but may be rejected if
the company hasn't been notified in advance. It's not that the card
is invalid, but that some sort of possible fraud is caught by an
algorithm.

A simple phone call to the number on the back of the card will reveal
all, or is that another area of "too difficult research"?

I had to laugh when reading "If paying is involved". If? Local
attendees may have to do a whip-round if it is anticipated that
foreign guests eat free.
2018-07-04 14:26:34 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
PTD is clearly an esteemed guest of honour, and will not have to put his
hand in his pocket. </typical PTD conclusion-jump>
2018-07-04 15:30:11 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
Hey Shithead, if you're not attending, keep your trap and your lying
fingers shut.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-04 15:28:21 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
The only whipping needs to be of you.

It's very impressive that you're familiar with the policies of the
establishment that Katy has proposed: your certainty as to which cards,
if any, they might accept. Does that go back to your visit 50 years ago
in your sandals-with-black-socks?
charles
2018-07-04 17:38:57 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the
M25 + Park & Ride.
Good! But check trains: the main Oxford station is closed for two
weeks, although Oxford Parkway is open and there are buses from there
to the centre of Oxford.
It seems I get to take the bus from Heathrow to Oxford on Sunday morning
(I will be met). How long is that ride?
supposedly 90 minutes
Post by Peter T. Daniels
And then from Oxford to Brighton "early" Wednesday morning (or might that
be a train).
Train might be best; Oxford > Reading > Gatwick > Brighton. This avoids
travelling through London.
2018-07-04 18:26:25 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
If paying is involved, will cash be needed? Do foreign Visa or MasterCard
work?
No, yes. (That earlier sentence should of course read Tuesday -- I
apologise if anyone was misled.)
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the M25 +
Park & Ride.
Good! But check trains: the main Oxford station is closed for two
weeks, although Oxford Parkway is open and there are buses from there to
the centre of Oxford.
It seems I get to take the bus from Heathrow to Oxford on Sunday morning (I
will be met). How long is that ride?
Depends on the time and day; Sunday morning probably not much more than
an hour and a half.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
And then from Oxford to Brighton "early" Wednesday morning (or might that be
a train).
Could be either, but in either case it means going via London. The
train would leave from Oxford Parkway, whither you'd need to get a bus
form central Oxford.
2018-07-04 17:30:48 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the
M25 + Park & Ride.
Good! But check trains: the main Oxford station is closed for two
weeks, although Oxford Parkway is open and there are buses from there to
the centre of Oxford.
Thanks for that.

I have checked and there are some trains running from Reading to Oxford;
buses (from Didcot) are only replacing this service for one train an hour,
leaving 2 per hour as rail.
2018-07-04 07:24:33 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Katy

do you mean Wednesday 18th or Tuesday 17th? If the latter, I can come, but
I am not free for the former.

Charles
Paul Wolff
2018-07-04 14:12:02 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
I can't say yet. It's in my diary, but there's also a challenging
two-day tournament near Salisbury that I really want to play in.
However, I've been given a hard stare and told I can't spare the time
from work for yet more croquet, so maybe a few hours in Oxford will be
an acceptable compromise. We'll see.
Paul
Richard Tobin
2018-07-04 14:13:29 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
I won't be able to make it down to Oxford.

-- Richard
the Omrud
2018-07-04 16:45:42 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Yes, presumably you already have me on the guest list.

As reported elsewhere, I may be a little late for the lecture because
the last stage of the rail journey is actually to be accomplished by
means of a bus, which will have to negotiate the dreadful Home Counties
traffic. That'll be me sneaking in at the back.
David
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-04 17:14:27 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Yes, presumably you already have me on the guest list.
As reported elsewhere, I may be a little late for the lecture because
the last stage of the rail journey is actually to be accomplished by
means of a bus, which will have to negotiate the dreadful Home Counties
traffic. That'll be me sneaking in at the back.
I hope we're going to be seeing some photos of this historic event --
the boink, I mean, not your late arrival.

Maybe a video of part of the lecture.
the Omrud
2018-07-04 21:52:34 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from
Weston Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to
book the restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Yes, presumably you already have me on the guest list.
As reported elsewhere, I may be a little late for the lecture because
the last stage of the rail journey is actually to be accomplished by
means of a bus, which will have to negotiate the dreadful Home
Counties traffic.  That'll be me sneaking in at the back.
I hope we're going to be seeing some photos of this historic event --
the boink, I mean, not your late arrival.
Maybe a video of part of the lecture.
Photos, I'm sure. I suppose we should ask about filming in the hallowed
halls.
David
Janet
2018-07-05 12:46:22 UTC
In article <Dkb%C.1011795$***@fx27.am4>, ***@gmail.com
says...
Post by the Omrud
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from
Weston Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to
book the restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Yes, presumably you already have me on the guest list.
As reported elsewhere, I may be a little late for the lecture because
the last stage of the rail journey is actually to be accomplished by
means of a bus, which will have to negotiate the dreadful Home
Counties traffic.  That'll be me sneaking in at the back.
I hope we're going to be seeing some photos of this historic event --
the boink, I mean, not your late arrival.
Maybe a video of part of the lecture.
Photos, I'm sure. I suppose we should ask about filming in the hallowed
halls.
Forget pictures, what AUE wants is sound recordings of all the boink
accents/dialects.

Janet.
Lewis
2018-07-05 12:53:48 UTC
Post by Janet
says...
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
With particular attention to how everyone says cot caught and mary marry
merry.
If at first you don't succeed, put it out for beta test.
a***@gmail.com
2018-07-05 18:33:29 UTC
Post by Janet
says...
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
I think that would be amazing! I second that!

Respectfully,
Navi
Athel Cornish-Bowden
the Omrud
2018-07-05 19:04:25 UTC
I hope we're going to be seeing some photos of this historic event
--> the boink, I mean, not your late arrival.
Maybe a video of part of the lecture.
Photos, I'm sure.  I suppose we should ask about filming in the
hallowed halls.
Forget pictures, what AUE wants is sound recordings of all the boink>
accents/dialects.
I think that would be amazing! I second that!
I third it.
I'll see what I can do, although it will probably be noisy in the
restaurant.
David
the Omrud
2018-07-05 14:11:12 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Well, well, well. The pedestrian route from Oxford Station to the
Weston Library will take me directly past the door of the (then) slum
where my grandmother and her siblings lived, on Hythe Bridge Street.
And of which, thanks to my then to-be grandfather, I have photos. I'm
chuffed to bits.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hxsx5ba1ly8eto/AAAiq73_aya6dhIsBG8q5epia?dl=0

I imagine it will have changed.
David
Harrison Hill
2018-07-05 14:52:54 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Well, well, well. The pedestrian route from Oxford Station to the
Weston Library will take me directly past the door of the (then) slum
where my grandmother and her siblings lived, on Hythe Bridge Street.
And of which, thanks to my then to-be grandfather, I have photos. I'm
chuffed to bits.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hxsx5ba1ly8eto/AAAiq73_aya6dhIsBG8q5epia?dl=0
I imagine it will have changed.
In Oxford a "slum" was defined as (what looks to be) a "very nice area
with wide streets"? :)

My father-in-law was one of nine surviving children, The family (of eleven)
lived in a two-up two-down in the Bricklayers Arms slums of SE London - and
that house was shared with another (related) family, who had the top floor.

He went on to become a successful Engineer - and that was thanks to the
Grammar School system; which gained him a place into Wilsons Grammar,
which is nowadays in Croydon.

That is why people flock to London. Nothing here is impossible.
Harrison Hill
2018-07-05 15:35:12 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
To complete this story, which must be typical of many poverty-stricken
London slum children:

The entire family of children prospered. Their father survived the 1st
World War, but died shortly afterwards of consumption. To lose the
breadwinner would normally be catastrophic; but the eldest brother then
took control of the family. These were the three ways he guided them all
to prosperity:

1) Grammar school.
2) Newspaper Printing (if they were male), well-paid and heavily Unionised.
3) Marriage to a suitable husband.

They have no fond memories of him but he rescued them all :)
Tony Cooper
2018-07-05 16:27:07 UTC
On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 07:52:54 -0700 (PDT), Harrison Hill
Post by Harrison Hill
That is why people flock to London. Nothing here is impossible.
Really? Including finding a place to park?
2018-07-05 16:34:09 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
That is why people flock to London. Nothing here is impossible.
Really? Including finding a place to park?
Nothing is impossible - if you're rich enough.
2018-07-05 17:12:21 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
That is why people flock to London. Nothing here is impossible.
Quoting (translated into English) sentences containing
"London" from a German-language article I read recently:

|London
[after Trump's rise and the Brexit]
|is losing value for companies and thus also attractiveness,
|but it is still too expensive to return to mixed urban life,
|where people not only work but also live.
|Jeremy Cliffe (office manager of "The Economist" in Berlin)
|says, Berlin must never become a victim of his own success,
|like London, for many no longer habitable.

. "Not habitable" seems to refer to extraordinary costs
of living and housing in London (reportedly) as far as
I understand it.
the Omrud
2018-07-05 19:00:56 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by the Omrud
Well, well, well. The pedestrian route from Oxford Station to the
Weston Library will take me directly past the door of the (then) slum
where my grandmother and her siblings lived, on Hythe Bridge Street.
And of which, thanks to my then to-be grandfather, I have photos. I'm
chuffed to bits.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hxsx5ba1ly8eto/AAAiq73_aya6dhIsBG8q5epia?dl=0
I imagine it will have changed.
In Oxford a "slum" was defined as (what looks to be) a "very nice area
with wide streets"? :)
My great-uncle, who is the boy in the photos, gave me a detailed history
of the family's life in Oxford (my grandmother died in her early 60s but
her little brother lived to be 98). He said that the family had been
rehoused a little after this photo was taken "as part of the slum
clearances". Certainly, as far as he was concerned, he'd started life
in a slum. The house was clearly solid as it's still standing, but I
suspect the interior was a mess and probably massively overcrowded.
David
Paul Wolff
2018-07-05 15:14:20 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from
Weston Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to
book the restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Well, well, well. The pedestrian route from Oxford Station to the
Weston Library will take me directly past the door of the (then) slum
where my grandmother and her siblings lived, on Hythe Bridge Street.
And of which, thanks to my then to-be grandfather, I have photos. I'm
chuffed to bits.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hxsx5ba1ly8eto/AAAiq73_aya6dhIsBG8q5epia?dl=0
I imagine it will have changed.
Just a bit, but that piece of road and the bridge are easily
recognisable. The Nag's Head pub on the other side of the road, not
quite in the picture, where the landlord was glassed one evening by an
ungrateful customer, is something else now.
Paul
Peter T. Daniels
Though there's nothing in those four pix of your ancestors to suggest "slum."
Paul Wolff
2018-07-05 17:39:43 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Well, well, well. The pedestrian route from Oxford Station to the
Weston Library will take me directly past the door of the (then) slum
where my grandmother and her siblings lived, on Hythe Bridge Street.
And of which, thanks to my then to-be grandfather, I have photos. I'm
chuffed to bits.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hxsx5ba1ly8eto/AAAiq73_aya6dhIsBG8q5epia?dl=0
I imagine it will have changed.
Though there's nothing in those four pix of your ancestors to suggest "slum."
On the usage of 'slum': I can't think of any town in Britain now that
has slums, as they used to be when slums were really slums. Soon there
won't be anyone left who remembers them from personal experience. And
I'd be hard put to it to come up with a good definition of a slum. The
OED (Shorter) says "An overcrowded district of a town or city, having
squalid housing conditions and inhabited by very poor people; a street
situated in such a district (freq. in pl.). Also transf., a house
materially unfit for human habitation.

In the photos, the road to the left before the bridge is Upper Fisher
Row, and some of the terrace houses down there could have been at home
in a slum, I think.
Paul
Katy Jennison
2018-07-06 06:04:49 UTC
Post by Paul Wolff
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
The width of a street is not necessarily an indicator. Areas which were
originally built for and inhabited by the better-off sometimes later
became slums. Overcrowding is a salient characteristic, but also the
drainage system or lack of. Rivers and streams are lovely things to
live next to if they're bordered by trees and full of fish, but not so
much after someone upstream has built a factory or a row of houses
discharging into the river.

In the case of Hythe Bridge Street, though, it was this wide not because
it was originally for the rich but because it was where boats and barges
(on the Oxford canal) were loaded and unloaded. Hythe = wharf. The
buildings were warehouses, with dwelling-places above them.
Paul Wolff
2018-07-06 10:24:16 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Paul Wolff
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
As far as I can remember, the Oxford Canal terminates there. The bridge
crosses not the canal but a mill stream. The Thames/Isis splits into
many streams at Oxford.

Re Hythe: Today's Maidenhead, a town miles downstream of Oxford where
the London to Bath road crosses the Thames, was formerly Maidenhythe.

Oh, and I'll be a definite for the lunch. No disrespect to the speaker,
and although the seats look comfy enough, in my heart I'm still not
enthusiastic about ancient writing systems. I hope PTD's talk goes well,
whether or not I make it there.
Paul
Katy Jennison
2018-07-06 15:00:36 UTC
Post by Paul Wolff
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
Yes. Wikipedia sums it up thus (and I think would have been corrected
by one of Oxford's many historians if it had got it wrong):

"Hythe Bridge, a flat late 19th century cast iron bridge on Hythe Bridge
Street constructed in 1861, spans the Castle Mill Stream, a backwater of
the River Thames. Just to the northeast is the southern end of the
Oxford Canal. This used to continue south of Hythe Bridge Street to a
basin that is now filled in to form a car park."
2018-07-05 23:07:32 UTC
On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 08:56:31 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Well, well, well. The pedestrian route from Oxford Station to the
Weston Library will take me directly past the door of the (then) slum
where my grandmother and her siblings lived, on Hythe Bridge Street.
And of which, thanks to my then to-be grandfather, I have photos. I'm
chuffed to bits.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hxsx5ba1ly8eto/AAAiq73_aya6dhIsBG8q5epia?dl=0
I imagine it will have changed.
Though there's nothing in those four pix of your ancestors to suggest "slum."
I would need pix of a wider area to make such a judgement. There can be
slum dwellings adjacent to a wide street if the street is for vehicles
going to and from factories, etc.

Where I used to work in the 1960s in Manchester there were
factories/mills scattered around surrounded by small overcrowded houses,
slums. Most of the streets between the houses were narrow but there were
a few wider streets connecting the factories with the outside world.
While at that time the dwellings were classified a slums the living
conditions were not as bad as they would have been a couple of
generations earlier. Apart from some practical improvements and an
increase in real wages since then there had been a reduction in the
average family size. The average minimum income family in the 1960s no
longer had the ten or more children that had once been normal.
2018-07-06 13:27:37 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
I can remember seeing children playing barefoot in the snow in
the "play streets" (streets closed off to cars - so that children
had somewhere to play safely), in the slums of Liverpool in the 1950s.
David's ancestors live in a better class of slum than that - and I
would hope so too! All our ancestors (not yours athel) had it *very*
tough, but I'm not sure I have to worry too much about these people:

the Omrud
2018-07-06 15:04:08 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
I can remember seeing children playing barefoot in the snow in
the "play streets" (streets closed off to cars - so that children
had somewhere to play safely), in the slums of Liverpool in the 1950s.
David's ancestors live in a better class of slum than that - and I
would hope so too! All our ancestors (not yours athel) had it *very*
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hxsx5ba1ly8eto/AAAiq73_aya6dhIsBG8q5epia?dl=0&preview=O20-034-IMG-120-051_0002.jpg>
By this time my great-uncle had gained a scholarship to a decent school
(as did my grandfather on the other side, in Coventry). We've been
middle class since 1910 or so.
David
Harrison Hill
2018-07-06 17:37:03 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Harrison Hill
I can remember seeing children playing barefoot in the snow in
the "play streets" (streets closed off to cars - so that children
had somewhere to play safely), in the slums of Liverpool in the 1950s.
David's ancestors live in a better class of slum than that - and I
would hope so too! All our ancestors (not yours athel) had it *very*
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hxsx5ba1ly8eto/AAAiq73_aya6dhIsBG8q5epia?dl=0&preview=O20-034-IMG-120-051_0002.jpg>
By this time my great-uncle had gained a scholarship to a decent school
(as did my grandfather on the other side, in Coventry). We've been
middle class since 1910 or so.
My family were Lower Middle Class railway workers at that time.
The next two generations however kept up the "jump a class every
generation" pattern - my son has made up for me "lagging a generation
behind".

To achieve in today's world, I'd suggest:

1) Learn Maths. Maths is everything. You won't get a good job unless
you are good at Maths. (USE "Math"?)

2) Once you are there you will be the only one able to use computers
to do away with math and maths altogether. Maths is a trivial
calculating nonsense - easily computerised,
David Kleinecke
This is a very naive attitude toward mathematics.
charles
2018-07-06 18:31:14 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by the Omrud
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
as my employer said " you need maths to fill in your expenses claim form"
2018-07-06 19:40:58 UTC
_There_ you use the plural! We just have "expense forms."
charles
2018-07-06 21:06:08 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Harrison Hill
1) Learn Maths. Maths is everything. You won't get a good job unless
you are good at Maths. (USE "Math"?)
as my employer said " you need maths to fill in your expenses claim form"
_There_ you use the plural! We just have "expense forms."
an expense, multiple expenses
2018-07-06 21:47:21 UTC
On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 12:40:58 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by charles
Post by Harrison Hill
1) Learn Maths. Maths is everything. You won't get a good job unless
you are good at Maths. (USE "Math"?)
as my employer said " you need maths to fill in your expenses claim form"
_There_ you use the plural! We just have "expense forms."
Yes, we use the plural. As here in 1.1:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/expense

expense
noun
[mass noun]

1 The cost incurred in or required for something.
‘conference rooms were equipped at great expense’
‘book into the best hotel you can find and hang the expense’

1.1 expenses The costs incurred in the performance of one's job or
a specific task.
‘his hotel and travel expenses’

1.2 count noun A thing on which one is required to spend money.
‘tolls are a daily expense’

Note that in 1.1 the definition of "expenses" (plural) uses "costs"
(plural). A expenses claim will often include a number of items, hence
the plural.
Do you enjoy blueberries pie? Might you get your eggs from a chickens farmer?
RH Draney
Even if you do, must we follow in your feetsteps?...r
Richard Tobin
2018-07-07 12:39:36 UTC
Post by charles
as my employer said " you need maths to fill in your expenses claim form"
_There_ you use the plural! We just have "expense forms."
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/expense
[...]
Note that in 1.1 the definition of "expenses" (plural) uses "costs"
(plural). A expenses claim will often include a number of items, hence
the plural.
Do you enjoy blueberries pie? Might you get your eggs from a chickens farmer?
I don't think these are the same. You will find a blueberry in a pie,
and a chicken in a farm, but I would not refer to an item in an
expenses claim as "an expense". "Expenses" has become a technical
term in itself, rather than simply the plural of "expense".

2018-07-07 13:31:46 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by charles
as my employer said " you need maths to fill in your expenses claim form"
_There_ you use the plural! We just have "expense forms."
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/expense
Note that in 1.1 the definition of "expenses" (plural) uses "costs"
(plural). A expenses claim will often include a number of items, hence
the plural.
Do you enjoy blueberries pie? Might you get your eggs from a chickens farmer?
I don't think these are the same. You will find a blueberry in a pie,
and a chicken in a farm, but I would not refer to an item in an
expenses claim as "an expense". "Expenses" has become a technical
term in itself, rather than simply the plural of "expense".
Even if you are so conscientious as to submit only a single receipt?

Would others pad their "expenses account"?
Richard Tobin
2018-07-07 14:59:34 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Do you enjoy blueberries pie? Might you get your eggs from a chickens farmer?
I don't think these are the same. You will find a blueberry in a pie,
and a chicken in a farm, but I would not refer to an item in an
expenses claim as "an expense". "Expenses" has become a technical
term in itself, rather than simply the plural of "expense".
Even if you are so conscientious as to submit only a single receipt?
Yes.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Would others pad their "expenses account"?
I believe that "expense account" is a fixed phrase, but it's not
one I've ever had occasion to use...

-- Richard
the Omrud
2018-07-07 17:54:15 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Would others pad their "expenses account"?
I believe that "expense account" is a fixed phrase, but it's not
one I've ever had occasion to use...
Next to nobody has had an expense account for 40 years. What we have
(had - I'm retired) is the right to reclaim expenses wholly and
necessarily incurred in the fulfilment of our business activities. The
effect is financially neutral to the individual, although it did allow
me to travel to some interesting places.

Any "expenses" which were not necessary are taxed (in the UK anyway) as
income.
David
LFS
2018-07-08 04:52:34 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Would others pad their "expenses account"?
I believe that "expense account" is a fixed phrase, but it's not
one I've ever had occasion to use...
Next to nobody has had an expense account for 40 years.   What we have
(had - I'm retired) is the right to reclaim expenses wholly and
necessarily incurred in the fulfilment of our business activities.  The
effect is financially neutral to the individual, although it did allow
me to travel to some interesting places.
IME people used to profit from expense claims quite significantly. In
some organisations there was a culture of tacit approval for fiddling
expenses, on the basis that salaries were comparatively low.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
J. J. Lodder
2018-07-08 08:07:43 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by the Omrud
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Would others pad their "expenses account"?
I believe that "expense account" is a fixed phrase, but it's not
one I've ever had occasion to use...
Next to nobody has had an expense account for 40 years. What we have
(had - I'm retired) is the right to reclaim expenses wholly and
necessarily incurred in the fulfilment of our business activities. The
effect is financially neutral to the individual, although it did allow
me to travel to some interesting places.
Any "expenses" which were not necessary are taxed (in the UK anyway) as
income.
Another effect of having VAT.
Declaration with paper proof of VAT having been paid
make the VAT reclaimable,

2018-07-08 10:10:43 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Would others pad their "expenses account"?
I believe that "expense account" is a fixed phrase, but it's not one
I've ever had occasion to use...
Next to nobody has had an expense account for 40 years. What we have
(had - I'm retired) is the right to reclaim expenses wholly and
necessarily incurred in the fulfilment of our business activities. The
effect is financially neutral to the individual, although it did allow
me to travel to some interesting places.
Any "expenses" which were not necessary are taxed (in the UK anyway) as
income.
Another effect of having VAT. Declaration with paper proof of VAT having
been paid make the VAT reclaimable,
in the UK, VAT can only be reclaimed if the bill been paid by the VAT
registered company. so individual's hotel expenses can't be covered -
unless the company is charged directly. It usen't to be like that, I don't
know when it changed.
the Omrud
2018-07-08 11:10:22 UTC
Post by charles
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
A VAT invoice does not indicate who has paid, indeed it's entirely
possible that nobody has paid when the invoice is presented for VAT
purposes. Our advice was to give a hotel our company office address,
but in practice common sense prevails.
David
J. J. Lodder
2018-07-08 11:34:59 UTC
Post by charles
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
I'm not in that business,
but I think this is automatically taken care of
if you pay with a company credit card,

2018-07-08 12:38:08 UTC
Post by charles
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by the Omrud
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
Maybe it's/has been different in Britain, but both times I returned from
Germany, along with the customs declaration to prepare for the US agent
there was a form to claim return of VAT, but since I only purchased a
book or two at a museum shop, the amount was too small to bother with
(maybe even below a certain threshold?).
Paul Wolff
2018-07-08 13:03:24 UTC
Post by charles
Another effect of having VAT. Declaration with paper proof of VAT having
been paid make the VAT reclaimable,
in the UK, VAT can only be reclaimed if the bill been paid by the VAT
registered company. so individual's hotel expenses can't be covered -
unless the company is charged directly. It usen't to be like that, I don't
know when it changed.
Maybe it's/has been different in Britain, but both times I returned from
Germany, along with the customs declaration to prepare for the US agent
there was a form to claim return of VAT, but since I only purchased a
book or two at a museum shop, the amount was too small to bother with
(maybe even below a certain threshold?).
Is it worth nit-picking over the use of the same word twice? Yes, of
course.

"Reclaim" has (technically) different meanings above. I think it's
accurate to say, as Peter did, that on leaving the EU a foreign visitor
can reclaim the tax paid on goods he's taking away with him. I don't
know how it's done, but tax paid by the purchaser during the visit on
certain things for export is refunded on or after leaving. (Though in
the UK, the tax rate for printed books is zero percent, so there's
nothing to reclaim).

The "reclaim" in the first two quoted paragraphs (Jan then Charles)
actually means something like "offset". A VAT-registered person must
collect VAT on his/its sales ("output VAT"), but may offset against that
the VAT it has paid its suppliers ("input VAT") before paying the net
output VAT to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. If input tax exceeds
output tax in a VAT accounting period, then it's correct that an actual
reclaim of that balance is allowed.

Such an interesting topic...
--
Paul